Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Bench grinder to polisher

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
colin hamilton02/01/2022 10:44:49
186 forum posts
94 photos

So I'm looking to convert my bench grinder to a polisher. I see you can buy tapered spindles that go onto the grinder spindle.

Are these any good?

Are they held on by the grub screw or do they screw on?

Is it possible to make on my lathe if I don't have a taper turning attachment?

Thanks

Frances IoM02/01/2022 10:57:30
1395 forum posts
30 photos
mine screw on (they come as a handed pair)
Bought them years ago from Axminster as part of a polishing kit - not expensive and probably not worth making yourself
roy entwistle02/01/2022 11:00:21
1716 forum posts

They usually screw on but note that the left hand side has a left handed thread. it's possible to mount the wheel as one would grinding wheels but not as easy to change as those on tapers

noel shelley02/01/2022 11:14:54
2308 forum posts
33 photos

The idea works ! You have a lathe so buy the solid tails and bore and thread to fit your grinder shafts but note that they are handed so one is left hand thread, not a problem just buy a L/H tap. Another sorce of good polishing motors is a .55 0r .75 watt pump motors, they will be 2 pole so 2800 RPM ! Strip the pump off, unscrew the impellor and fit a mop tail. If flange mounted, make a mount or weld a lump of 4" channel iron on the outside with 4 holes in to screw down. You will need to wire it up, if you take this route come back and I will help there. Good luck Noel.

mgnbuk02/01/2022 11:28:53
1394 forum posts
103 photos

How sucessful this will be will depend upon how powerful your grinder is & how much polishing you wish to do.

Most budget grinders are not very powerful - typically 250-375W. This isn't an issue with a tool grinder as, generally, you don't apply much pressure when grinding. But it is easy to stop one when attempting other operations - I have a 6" wire wheel on one end of my bench grinder for general derusting & deburring & it is very easy to stop the machine while using it. I have not managed to stop it while grinding.

For polishing I have a 0.75KW single phase motor with a suitably parallel bored "pigtail" attached. It is clamped in a Workmate by the feet when used. I can't recall the size of the mops I have without a measure-up, but think they may be 8" & I can stop this machine as well if I get too enthusiastic.

Be aware that polishing is a hot & dirty business !

Nigel B.

Gary Wooding02/01/2022 11:42:38
1074 forum posts
290 photos

Mine are attached by grub screws.

If you've never done polishing with a mop before then take great care not to catch an edge in the mop. It can snatch the workpiece out of your hands in an instant - throwing it with great force at anything in its way and causing damage and possibly injury.

peak402/01/2022 12:01:45
2207 forum posts
210 photos
Posted by Gary Wooding on 02/01/2022 11:42:38:

If you've never done polishing with a mop before then take great care not to catch an edge in the mop. It can snatch the workpiece out of your hands in an instant - throwing it with great force at anything in its way and causing damage and possibly injury.

I'd go along with that; I think there's one or two items I've still to find.

My spindle, with a wire brush one end, and mop(s) the other, now rotates the opposite way to a conventional bench grinder, and I only polish/brush, on the top of the wheel, so that if anything does catch it heads away from me.
I'm not set up with dust extraction (yet), but have a cardboard box behind the contraption; I use one of the shallow trays from the fruit & veg section of my local supermarket.
It catches most of the dust, along with errant workpieces.

Bill

Steve35502/01/2022 14:06:25
321 forum posts
235 photos
Posted by Gary Wooding on 02/01/2022 11:42:38:

I agree, my polisher is by far my most dangerous machine tool, having ripped numerous lumps of metal out of my hands and fired them across the workshop at the speed of a bullet. The trick it to stay away from edges that might catch… still seems to happen though. I have a Sealey polisher, it’s well made and one of my most used and best investments.

Vic02/01/2022 14:10:56
3453 forum posts
23 photos

I bought my Pigtails from these folks at very reasonable cost.

**LINK**

colin hamilton02/01/2022 14:40:58
186 forum posts
94 photos

Thanks everyone, great advice as always. I would have never guessed it was one of the more dangerous evolutions!!

Sandgrounder02/01/2022 15:05:20
256 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by mgnbuk on 02/01/2022 11:28:53:

How sucessful this will be will depend upon how powerful your grinder is & how much polishing you wish to do.

For polishing I have a 0.75KW single phase motor with a suitably parallel bored "pigtail" attached. It is clamped in a Workmate by the feet when used. I can't recall the size of the mops I have without a measure-up, but think they may be 8" & I can stop this machine as well if I get too enthusiastic.

Be aware that polishing is a hot & dirty business !

Nigel B.

I use almost exactly the same set up regards motor and mop size and like Nigel I can stall the motor if I press too hard on the mop.

John

noel shelley02/01/2022 15:51:11
2308 forum posts
33 photos

On a converted grinder DO NOT use wheels/Mops bigger than 6" Some cheep ones are only 150w, This is nowhere near powerful enough. I would be very wary of running in reverse, the casting may be in your hand but the mop and spindle could be anywhere.! ! ! When using a buffing machine it is quite an art and very dangerous in untrained hands. The buffing soap(compound) is quite aggresive and even fine grades will remove detail or cut grooves in the work if you use the wrong technique ! I use 6" mops on a 750w motor and it works well. To start with use 2mops, a sizal for first stage ie from rough or as cast then a stitched cotton as a second. For a really high polish then use an unstiched cotton. It is as Nigel has said a VERY dirty job, wear a hat and close fitting clothes or a T shirt . Good Luck Noel.

AJAX03/01/2022 17:26:51
433 forum posts
42 photos
Posted by colin hamilton on 02/01/2022 10:44:49:

So I'm looking to convert my bench grinder to a polisher. I see you can buy tapered spindles that go onto the grinder spindle.

Are these any good?

Are they held on by the grub screw or do they screw on?

Is it possible to make on my lathe if I don't have a taper turning attachment?

Thanks

I bought some cheap mops from eBay or Ali express and was able to mount them directly to the grinder spindle using the existing nuts. Quality was good. I may have turned some washers/spacers to provide a good clamping force. The only drawback of this method (as opposed to tapered spindles) is the mops are more difficult to swap over, if that's what you need to do.

I have previously bought some tapered spindles online from a UK supplier (manufactured in India) and they were absolute junk. Supplier name *roops *ros if you wish to avoid them.

colin hamilton04/01/2022 08:41:58
186 forum posts
94 photos
Posted by AJAX on 03/01/2022 17:26:51:
Posted by colin hamilton on 02/01/2022 10:44:49:

So I'm looking to convert my bench grinder to a polisher.

I bought some cheap mops from eBay or Ali express and was able to mount them directly to the grinder spindle using the existing nuts. Quality was good. I may have turned some washers/spacers to provide a good clamping force. The only drawback of this method (as opposed to tapered spindles) is the mops are more difficult to swap over, if that's what you need to do.

I have previously bought some tapered spindles online from a UK supplier (manufactured in India) and they were absolute junk. Supplier name *roops *ros if you wish to avoid them.

Thanks I made the same doert of spindle and mounted it in my 3 jaw. Worked well but I don't want to be polishing on my kathe for obvious reasons.

Peter Sansom04/01/2022 09:30:33
125 forum posts
4 photos

I converted an old 6" grinder, needed to polish brass handles. Have not had any issues of the grinder stalling but if you are not careful the item being polished will go flying. The grinder is a 30 y.o. Ryobi,

Clive Foster04/01/2022 10:04:14
3630 forum posts
128 photos

Something to be said for starting out with a lower powered grinder. Especially if you have something to hand or if E-Bay, Facebook Marketplace, local free ad paper or just asking around can score something for beer money.

Lot safer from the ripping things out of your hand aspect if the power is low enough that you can stall it. Low power means low pressure so polishing takes much longer but you have time to see whats going on. As Noel says the buffing compounds can be disconcertingly aggressive. On a proper machine the job can get away from you in nothing flat.

When actually put to the test you may also find that you don't actually have enough polishing to do for a decent set-up to be worth it. Not to mention the mess. Did I mention that polishing is messy, really messy. Yup seriously messy. Frankly if you have enough to do that a decently powerful set up is worth it you will need a dedicated area with shields and extraction. Around 10 minutes of serious polishing with an open mop will turn the average shed size workshop into the sort of disaster zone that needs everything pulled out to clean up. (The gremlin colony living under the bench will not be amused by having their stash of lost parts repatriated!) Half an hour? best wear a hazmat suit.

Don't shove polishing dust and compound covered overalls in the washing machine! Mistakes like that can be fatal or at least seriously expensive from the "new appliance so we need a new kitchen to match" viewpoint. By bye next loco fund! Squoshing around in a bucket outside two or three times is a domestically safe cleaning method. Doesn't help that first time or three you will almost certainly use too much compound adn the excess has to go somewhere.

My personal motor'n mop has been sitting on the shelf for about a quarter of a century "just in case". Its done a few re-furbed piano keys for my tuner brother and thats it. I have used the proper thinga time or three, objectively quite enough thank you.

Clive

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate