Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Plans and castings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dalboy18/11/2021 16:30:10
1009 forum posts
305 photos

I have ask the question about beam engines and still not made up my mind which to make I have also been looking at loco plans.

I seem to have only found people like Reeves, Blackgates and Sarik, are there any others that supply plans and castings and what type of quality are the casting.

I did not include Stuart models as they supply kits rather than separate plans.

Can people add to that list

noel shelley18/11/2021 16:48:48
2308 forum posts
33 photos

As to Stuart Models you have been misinformed, they do far more than just kits ! Noel

JasonB18/11/2021 16:58:05
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Kennions would be another one for Locos

Although Stuarts mostly sell complete sets of castings, many with materials and fixings included if you look under spare parts you can buy the separate drawings and individual castings.

Edited By JasonB on 18/11/2021 17:04:52

steamdave18/11/2021 18:01:01
526 forum posts
45 photos

Or, if you fancy making a Stuart engine, look on eBay for the castings. That way should get you a set at a lot less than what Stuarts are asking. If they are being sold without drawings, these are available from Stuart Models. Other designs also frequently come up for sale. Probably best to avoid part built engines, at least to start with - you never know what horrors you may come across.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Samsaranda18/11/2021 18:03:06
1688 forum posts
16 photos

Had problems with some of Reeves castings with shrinkage cracks in cast iron and inclusions in gunmetal castings, but any castings can have problems especially model castings as they are so small in comparison to usual engineering size castings. Dave W

Stuart Bridger18/11/2021 18:20:50
566 forum posts
31 photos

If you are willing to look beyond castings, take a look at Elmers Engines. Free plans available online

Not a beam, but I am (slowly) working on #29 mine engine

Dalboy18/11/2021 18:37:07
1009 forum posts
305 photos

Thank you guys Yes I see what you mean Noel and Jason just found the plans on Stuart Models.

Has anyone brought off of Kennions if so what are their castings like.

Stuart I did look at the Elmers Engines but prefer something that looks like an original engine(If that makes Sense)

I appreciate that some casting may have the odd tiny blow hole I was refering to the overall quality

Nick Clarke 318/11/2021 18:39:52
1607 forum posts
69 photos

My experience with GLR Kennions has always been very positive.

Trevor Drabble18/11/2021 19:42:18
339 forum posts
7 photos

Polly supply a number of stationary engines.

Dave Smith 1418/11/2021 22:13:37
222 forum posts
48 photos

My experience with the castings on my Aspinall is unless they are lost wax from a known set of dimensions, I would only use castings if it there was no other choice (like wheels). I would either fabricate or machine from solid. For sure on my next loco that is the approach I will be taking.

Phil H119/11/2021 13:27:15
467 forum posts
60 photos

The castings I have received from Kennions are very good but I also agree with Dave i.e., apart from wheels (maybe), I would try to use fabrication techniques of machine from solid in the future.

Phil H

Dalboy19/11/2021 14:49:29
1009 forum posts
305 photos

Thank you I do want to try and make what I can where possible then buy those that I have trouble with. I have now looked at many of the sites and have got my eyes on a couple of plans.

First I will need to complete a tipper truck toy from wood for my great grandson.

Dave Wootton19/11/2021 16:53:16
505 forum posts
99 photos

I've just machined some Kennions wheel castings (Rob Roy) for a friend and they were very good, nice and crisp and very sensible machining allowance. I built a R&B gas engine from Polly castings a few years ago and was also very pleased with them.

Like Dave Smith above I am building Don Youngs Aspinall and have to agree the castings are very poor, too little machining allowance in some places and lots of filing and cleaning up on the wheel spokes, the wheels could not be finished to size, too little machining allowance. The cast iron used seems to be recycled drain covers.

I've just had to silver solder blocks on the motion plate as that was undersize, as were the tender axleboxes. Don't say I should have returned them that opens up a whole new can of worms! A shame as I like the designs of Don Young and the castings are only available from one source.

Next loco will be incorporating more fabrications and hacking from solid.

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate