By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Smith 14

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Smith 14 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Model boiler safety calculations
14/09/2023 13:57:43

Benedict

Tube and plate thickness is established using the working pressure and tabulated data, no calculation required for any of it. Stays size/pitch etc are also tabulated although there are formula for you to use if you need to go off-piste.

Dave

Thread: Dasqua tools?
28/08/2023 22:09:12

I have their 0-25mm and 25-50mm versions, had no problems with them.

Dave

Thread: Source of small metric steel screws - non stainless
06/02/2023 19:51:51

One of the best sources of small metric fasteners, not cheap though.

GWH

I think Jason uses them as well.

Dave

Thread: Brass I beam
24/12/2022 14:28:37

Very Sadly Eileens Emporium have gone into administration. This was posted on a number of modelling associated websites on December 11th.

I am very sorry to have to tell you that Russan Limited, trading as Eileens Emporium has ceased trading and appointed liquidators.We have done our best to send out all the stock we have for pre-paid orders. I am sorry that we were not able to complete all of them.

Any clains against the business should be sent to:

Christine Vaines, Begbies Traynor, Suite C 11 Kingsmead Square, Bath, BA1 2AB | T: 01225 316 040 | Email [email protected]

Thread: Metric fasteners
26/11/2022 17:02:46

m2.5 studding is available at many sources on the internet just google it.

Thread: Learning the hard way - distortion caused by chucking forces.
07/09/2022 11:03:18

Robin

The part deflects along the axial plane. So the red maximum deflection zones bend backwards towards the headstock.

06/09/2022 12:20:30

Robin

Generic FEA of the part you are trying to machine. First picture shows the model with jaw forces applied. Second and third pictures both show the way the parts deflects, Values are not important it is the indicative pattern we are interested in. Blue is small, red is large relatively.

Regards

Dave

jaw deform 4.jpg

jaw deform 1.jpg

jaw deform 2.jpg

Thread: 3d modelling software
17/08/2022 18:17:23

Ian

I think we are talking at cross purposes. Yes you can edit the imported solid works file same as you can edit a step file, it does not matter what mode it is in. But you cannot edit it by the history. So for instance you want to remove a hole. With history you just delete it. As a dumb solid you will have to fill it in. Not normally a problem, but it gets more complex where compound surfaces are involved.

17/08/2022 13:47:36

I am not an expert on SE (I use Catia V5), only using it occasionally. However I have just imported a Solid Works file straight in the SE. However it appears to be a dumb solid so no history

se import.jpg

Thread: Blacking aluminium
16/06/2022 19:32:34

Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black if you do not want to spend very much

Aluminium Black - Ebay

Thread: 3D Modeling Tutorial - A Basic Approach
12/05/2022 22:53:34

Nigel

Any 3D CAD system can create a hollow cylinder like you asked. Here is an example with flanges added at both ends as well. All done with a single 2D sketch which you can see in the picture.

cotton reel.jpg

Thread: Researching Godalming's Old (Goods) Railway Station
12/05/2022 20:27:53

Ask the same question on RMweb you are more likely to get more response.

RMweb

Dave

Thread: Modern boiler construction methods for the model engineer
08/04/2022 23:05:41

Luker

Similar to you I used FEA on ME boilers. First photo a section cut through the FEA on a steel version of the Highlander Boiler. I did this as a favour for a member of this forum and wrote a full report which used 3 justifications, first principles hand calculation, a comparison with the Aussie code and the FEA. This was done before not long before I retired and I had my Chief Stress Engineer do the a peer review on the FEA methodology and results as a check. The FEA showed up some issues with design as presented to me and allowed me to easily modify the design to eliminate the problems.

stress 1.jpg

I am also building a Don Young Aspinall. I have modified the boiler to remove the crown girder stays of the original design and replace them with crown rod stays. The boiler design was checked to see if it complied with and then modified in accordance with the Aussie code, how ever I also carried FEA on the boiler as designed and modified to for rod stays. The FEA results were quite interesting. The crown girders are very benign with reasonably low stress. However the some of the crown rod stays when designed in accordance with the Aussie code guidelines were marginal and needed to be increased in diameter to get the levels to a point where I was happy with them. The change to stays has been cleared with our BI's to the Aussie code but they are aware that the FEA has initiated further modification and fully endorse it. Little steps, but I am lucky in that one our BI's is a retied professional engineer like myself. Second picture is from the Aspinall FEA.

von mises.jpg

Thread: Stirling Single painting
15/02/2022 09:42:33

Over on MECH, this thread details painting a Stirling.

Stirling Single

Thread: Steel tyres on alloy rims
25/01/2022 13:39:17

Duralac is the yellow conformal coating used to protect interfaying surfaces in a lot of Aerospace applications. The permanent joints on my tender and loco chassis are using it.

Thread: 5" Gauge Loco Project
21/01/2022 22:59:40

4 Years into my Aspinall class 27 build, I have a complete tender, chassis running on air, smoke box and all plate finished and a most of the boiler parts made but not assembled. Nothing is final painted yet. So what is my advice at this point. Do your research and built what you want to, which is what I did. A 4-6-2 Pacific is no more difficult to build than my Aspinall just a few more parts to make. Laser cut anything you can, you can break complex parts into layers which can be silver soldered together. Only use castings where you have too, for a lot of items it is easier, quicker and a lot cheaper to hog from bar. I bought a complete set of casting (in a sale) but the quality was very poor and the tender axle box castings were not fit for purpose and binned. Boiler, your choice I am making mine. Oh and enjoy the process it can be very frustrating at times but ultimately very stimulating.

Thread: Solid Edge Community Edn. - Gen. Qs. Thereof
30/12/2021 10:39:25

Nigel

To echo Jason's comments, if you go for a low end machine you could be running into trouble as you get more proficient and model sizes increase. CAD systems are very memory hungry and need high end graphics cards and lots of RAM to run properly. My laptop is now 4 years old and has a quad core i7 processor and 8 Gb of ram. The graphics card is an INVIDIA GTX1050 Ti. I find this only just copes with the full 3D model of my Aspinall Class 27. I am considering changing my laptop as I have a damaged case, one screen hinge has broken and the battery is knackered and I will go for 16Gb ram this time and upgrade the graphics. I expect to pay at least £1K for a new machine to give me the power I need. I could probably get it cheaper using a tower system, but the laptop suits how I use the machine. I use a firm called Novatech for all my machines, they are a local independent manufacturer to me based in Porchester Hampshire.

In summary go for the most powerful system you can afford/are prepared to pay for.

Thread: Casting
20/12/2021 08:51:07

Owl castings.

Metal Casting | Owl Castings | England

Thread: Redesigning a boiler from 5 to 7 1/4"
19/12/2021 22:36:14

Steve

Get a copy of the Australian Boiler Code, AMBSC. Part 1 cover copper boilers. If you work to that in conjunction with your Boiler Inspectors, you should not have a problem. If you want a copy of the code PM me with an email address.

Thread: Silver solder resist
06/12/2021 22:57:58

Yes.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate