Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Guiness world record?

anyone beat this?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
pgk pgk16/02/2021 14:14:09
2661 forum posts
294 photos

I tooka small item into shed to put in a battery. 2 tiny screws removed with jewellers screwdriver... and yes, I dropped them!

Then bent down and picked both up from the floor!!!

Jeff Dayman16/02/2021 14:16:36
2356 forum posts
47 photos

I'd give Guinness WR a call! That would not have happened that way in my shop these days - they'd be gone like the wind. smiley

mechman4816/02/2021 17:43:04
2947 forum posts
468 photos

I don't even bother looking; just wait until I do a weekly clean up then sift through the debris ..dont know ... If I'm lucky !

George.

old mart16/02/2021 17:46:12
4655 forum posts
304 photos

You must have cheated and swept the floor first.smile o

Dominic Bramley16/02/2021 17:50:23
60 forum posts
1 photos

Without Norris there to verify the attempt, I'm afraid no-one is going to believe you!

Dom

Samsaranda16/02/2021 17:54:42
1688 forum posts
16 photos

Having worked on aircraft, when you drop a screw or a bolt you develop a sixth sense that is able to track where it’s gone, very embarrassing if you can’t find the missing item in the aircraft structure. Loose nuts bolts and screws have a habit of finding areas like controls where they can jam items, definitely not desirable if it’s flying controls etc. Dave W

Grindstone Cowboy16/02/2021 17:57:28
1160 forum posts
73 photos

Dedication's what you need!

(Only those of a certain age will understand the full significance of this wink)

Rob

P.S. if you haven't got dedication, a magnet in a plastic bag is a reasonable substitute for finding ferrous fasteners

Shadow16/02/2021 19:07:42
21 forum posts
1 photos

Great respect for your accomplishment! I have searched for small screws in office carpet.

Literally almost down the drain. My most miraculous save was when servicing an obsolete microscope at a medical clinic on their countertop. I was reinstalling a 1mm slotted set screw when I dropped it and I heard it hit in the stainless steel sink about 18" away. I picked it out and the same thing happened but an immediate search found nothing. A second search found it in the small ring of water surrounding the drain, disaster averted.

Vic16/02/2021 19:56:15
3453 forum posts
23 photos
Posted by pgk pgk on 16/02/2021 14:14:09:

I tooka small item into shed to put in a battery. 2 tiny screws removed with jewellers screwdriver... and yes, I dropped them!

Then bent down and picked both up from the floor!!!

I find this extremely unlikely, not impossible but unlikely ... laugh

Phil super716/02/2021 20:35:56
24 forum posts

I think it all depends if the workshop pixies are watching at the time.

pgk pgk16/02/2021 20:46:20
2661 forum posts
294 photos

I swear it's true, Gov.
As they slipped out of the part i'd stupidly turned upside down I said "Oh, Gosh this could be a bit of a pickle" (or words to that effect) followed by "well, bless me, there they are side by side at my feet in a crater of dust"
..which considering I couldn't find the mole- grips earlier...

pgk

Windy16/02/2021 21:42:43
910 forum posts
197 photos

Bits I drop seem to have a spring on them and land where you don't expect them to.

Dominic Bramley16/02/2021 21:49:19
60 forum posts
1 photos

Last week I was knocking the pin out of a knurling wheel and thought to myself "this is going to fall on the floor and get lost". I had 3 second look around for something to catch it in before thinking "**** it - I'll just watch where it lands".

Bang! Gone.

Dom

Nigel Graham 216/02/2021 21:59:35
3293 forum posts
112 photos

My workshop pixies amuse themselves even without my aid. A couple of times lately they have knocked objects some distance from me onto the floor.

I used a set of ball-ended Allen keys in dismantling my old drawing-board the other day. That was in the house. The keys, in their plastic block, normally live on a shelf in the workshop.

Wanted them today, in the workshop. Gorn! So has the big tobacco-tin stuffed with assorted Allen keys.

Luckily I found a key that fitted the M6 cap-screws I was using - note I didn't say a key for M6 cap-screws. Just one that managed the task in hand.

I don't need drop tiny objects on the shed floor to lose them - I can lose quite sizeable things without any trouble at all!

mechman4817/02/2021 13:35:20
2947 forum posts
468 photos

How many have done simlar as in putting some thing down on the bench/worktop, turned away to get something else, turn back & cannot find the item you put down, no matter how hard you search. You then go & get an alternative tool to do the job intended put that down on the bench... right next to the item you lost in the first place, I did that yesterday. Those workshop gremlins are pretty smart, & damned fast too !

George.

Dalboy17/02/2021 14:12:32
1009 forum posts
305 photos
Posted by mechman48 on 17/02/2021 13:35:20:

How many have done simlar as in putting some thing down on the bench/worktop, turned away to get something else, turn back & cannot find the item you put down, no matter how hard you search. You then go & get an alternative tool to do the job intended put that down on the bench... right next to the item you lost in the first place, I did that yesterday. Those workshop gremlins are pretty smart, & damned fast too !

George.

I can relate to that lost count how many times I have done that, then decide to clean the bench to stop it happening again only to loose the next pieceblush

Howard Lewis17/02/2021 16:15:36
7227 forum posts
21 photos

SOMEWHERE under the bench are a load of high number drills, dropped the box, half fell out and vanished heaven only knows where. Probably guarded by all the small BA nut ans washers that have escaped my grasp.

How long can it take to find a M6 x 100 bolt after falling about 300 mm onto a steel bench? About 30 minutes in my shop. How did it get to hide behind the Mill? But I got it!!!!

Have just spent half a day resetting this PC after it decided to rest the outgoing mail server details, without my permission or aid. Having FINALLY got it reset, it is obviously sorry and now recompences me by working faster than ever before.

Howard

peter smith 517/02/2021 18:26:45
93 forum posts

You mean that you can actually bend down???

I have to get “ Erin doors” to put me socks on of a morning.

pete

pgk pgk17/02/2021 18:56:46
2661 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by peter smith 5 on 17/02/2021 18:26:45:

You mean that you can actually bend down???

I have to get “ Erin doors” to put me socks on of a morning.

pete

Lie on my back on the bed and bend knees to put on socks
Squatting down not so bad - so long as have something to pull myself back up. Worst is gardening - usually means crawling...

I do try an do excercises to keep bits working. Rowing machine temporarily abandoned after spraining an ankle - 6 weeks ago and still painful and swollen. But one arm dumbell lifts and presses and pec excercises. If I miss 2-3 days then weight capability drops markedly....

I also practice putting shorts on standing on one leg- balance is becoming an issue but it helps to have the lifted leg swung slightly across the standing leg...

pgk

peter smith 517/02/2021 19:16:15
93 forum posts

You need to take more water with it!

pete

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate