Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Internet crash

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steviegtr17/03/2020 12:42:02
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Was talking to the brother in law last night. He said there had been a discussion about the internet. The opinion was once all the schools are closed & more people are at home. The Internet will slow to a snails pace or worse.

Great so posting on forums will probably take forever.

Could be rubbish but very logical as the kids gaming is mostly online now.

Steve.

mechman4817/03/2020 13:46:27
2947 forum posts
468 photos

I would guess so as the major providers throttle the download speed at peak times, unless you're willing to pay their exorbitant super broadband prices,as if they're not making enough profit!

George.

Jeff Dayman17/03/2020 14:08:55
2356 forum posts
47 photos

Is it wise to spread such hearsay and rumours in times like these? If there is an issue we will see soon enough, but if not you have just spread more uncertainty and worry for the nervous.

Cornish Jack17/03/2020 14:14:25
1228 forum posts
172 photos

Could be rubbish

Well at least that bit was right! Other than a need to exercise your keyboard, what particular value do you think that added to the forum?angry

JD yes

rgds

Bill

Steviegtr17/03/2020 14:16:24
2668 forum posts
352 photos
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 17/03/2020 14:08:55:

Is it wise to spread such hearsay and rumours in times like these? If there is an issue we will see soon enough, but if not you have just spread more uncertainty and worry for the nervous.

Don't preach to the nervous. I have a lot of illness history & falling into the dodgy category myself. I have stopped going out to our 3 times a week local meets. But hey if you rather not know what is possible shut your eyes & get a bucket of sand. What do they say about forewarned. I am going to get some books to read & maybe do more cooking if this happens. I rely on the net as do most others. Was not trying to scare you or anyone else.

Steve.

SillyOldDuffer17/03/2020 14:50:22
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Steviegtr on 17/03/2020 12:42:02:

Was talking to the brother in law last night. He said there had been a discussion about the internet. The opinion was once all the schools are closed & more people are at home. The Internet will slow to a snails pace or worse.

Great so posting on forums will probably take forever.

Could be rubbish ...

Steve.

Read all about it here.

Briefly, the professionals think the core (mostly high-bandwidth fibre-optics) will cope, as will the cloud, and they note many services are distributed so that high-capacity traffic like video-streaming is localised.

So it's unlikely that the internet itself will break, but certainly possible that a few hosts might go down due to increased activity. A more likely possibility is that homes connected with older ADSL technology (Copper based Max 10Mb up and 2Mb down), will see speeds drop if everyone on their shared line and Green Box suddenly starts using it. Most likely to effect people who already have poor internet speeds.

Anyone with a fibre or cable service is less likely to notice contention problems.

I'd be very surprised if Coronavirus suddenly made this Forum so massively popular it couldn't cope!

Dave

not done it yet17/03/2020 15:13:44
7517 forum posts
20 photos

I don’t particularly care to know if the internet is going to slow down, either. Anyone who relies solely on the internet will just have to grin and bear it - if it happens. What exactly are you going to do about it, anyway - go out and buy up some more loo rolls?

As someone who has not had a telly for well over ten years I can likely manage with a slow internet as well - plenty of other things to get on with.

Former Member17/03/2020 15:22:32
1329 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Harry Wilkes17/03/2020 15:29:08
1613 forum posts
72 photos

Thinking it might be worth becoming nocturnal smiley

H

Enough!17/03/2020 15:40:44
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Batty idea!

wink

Oldiron17/03/2020 16:38:42
1193 forum posts
59 photos

I think SOD is correct. Mostly already slow connection users will suffer a bit. I have a very fast cable connection and even when all the kids come home there is no slowing of speed that I can see for now. Most of the wireless connections I see locally are Virgin media so are cable. In the last year nearly all BT and TalkTalk connections have disappeared. I too do not use a TV and all my viewing is done online. My brother in the middle of the Fens only has 8mb connection (fastest available because of distance from cabinet) and his appears to slow down when the kids come home in the village about 1/2 mile from him.

regards

Edited By Oldiron on 17/03/2020 16:39:29

Cornish Jack17/03/2020 16:47:21
1228 forum posts
172 photos

There are few problems which cannot be made worse by uninformed (i.e. "my friend" (unattributed, of course), or " I heard on *** or any other of the rumour-mongers' stock-in-trade. The Internet can be a most useful tool but it is so often abused by enthusiastic claptrap! To paraphrase a common aphorism - " It's better to refrain from posting and be thought to have no useful input than to type a post and prove it!

rgds

Bill

Dave Halford17/03/2020 17:17:23
2536 forum posts
24 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 17/03/2020 15:40:44:

Batty idea!

wink

You can catch nasty things from those

Georgineer17/03/2020 17:55:10
652 forum posts
33 photos

Steve,

When you're driving I hope you can tell the difference between a delay caused by heavy traffic, and a crash.

George B.

Steviegtr17/03/2020 18:46:12
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Thank you for that lovely comment.

Steve.

Oven Man17/03/2020 18:50:53
204 forum posts
37 photos

According to the ISPs evening use is 10 times the daytime use so they see no problem in coping with the extra load.

Peter

Steviegtr17/03/2020 18:57:33
2668 forum posts
352 photos
Posted by Oven Man on 17/03/2020 18:50:53:

According to the ISPs evening use is 10 times the daytime use so they see no problem in coping with the extra load.

Peter

Well that is good news. The piece I saw was mainly concerning people who have not upgraded to the faster broadband. It was saying it could slow down considerably. On a weekend in our village my 50mb guarantee goes up the spout. Lucky to get 10 sometimes. Usually tea times to 9pm.

Steve.

not done it yet17/03/2020 19:06:42
7517 forum posts
20 photos

The piece I saw was mainly concerning people .....

So Cornish Jack’s (and Georgineer’s) post(s) was (were) quite pertinent?😆

Bazyle17/03/2020 19:18:15
6956 forum posts
229 photos

What tosh Haven't people noticed that every weekend everyone is at home.

Steviegtr17/03/2020 19:21:23
2668 forum posts
352 photos

I think I now know why I get a lot of P.M's from members who do not post any more. I saw some news & mentioned it. Seems like some do not want to know. Well that is fine. But to throw insults, why not just ignore the post. I do on many an occasion.

Steve.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate