Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Pocketmags withdraws support for Windows 10

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Limpet24/02/2020 10:33:06
136 forum posts
5 photos

What's up with Pocketmags as they have stopped supporting their Windows 10 app. Issues are available via their website but you can no longer download to a Windows PC. Where does that leave subscribers whow view their mags via a laptop with limited web access.

Lionel

Journeyman24/02/2020 11:30:44
1257 forum posts
264 photos

PocketMags also works from within a browser. Using Firefox, Edge, Safari, Chrome just go to pocketmags.com there go to My Library and Account, log in with user name and password and you can then access your Mags. No need for any apps or downloads.

John

SillyOldDuffer24/02/2020 11:50:00
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

PocketMags probably aren't supporting Windows 10 with an App because relatively few customers use it, and - as John explains - there's a good alternative that works across a much broader base.

Youngsters represent the bulk of the market, not chaps like us, and what they spend money on matters. The junior branch of my family are more likely to use a Laptop than a Desktop, a Tablet rather than a Laptop, and a Smart Phone rather than a Tablet. Windows 10 isn't a major part of their landscape.

Dave

Peter Sansom24/02/2020 11:52:02
125 forum posts
4 photos

The browser does not let you view it offline, which was Limpet's problem and is a common issue with the browser version.

Michael Gilligan24/02/2020 12:48:22
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

dont know ... Thin end of the wedge ?

Are they heading towards a pay-per-view model ?

MichaelG.

Journeyman24/02/2020 13:02:50
1257 forum posts
264 photos

Sorry about that, obviously didn't read the OP carefully. Yes the browser option isn't much good if you only have limited web access. I must say that I rarely use the browser option preferring to read MEW on an Android tablet which fortunately PocketMags still supports.

John

JasonB24/02/2020 13:08:08
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Just got a reply back from them saying

"I am sorry that you are facing issues with the Windows app. Unfortunately, we have been informed that there would not be any further updates to the Windows app and hence would recommend that you please use the HTML5 reader via our website"

I have gone back to ask if they can confirm that offline viewing is no longer available on a Widows PC and also suggested that if so they amend their FAQs which still say it is. They have now raised a Ticket for the query.

Strangely the app still shows a box with each issue number but just gets stuck on "loading page" when I click one. It does show upto date covers for other recommended titles.

Edited By JasonB on 24/02/2020 13:09:38

Limpet24/02/2020 13:47:15
136 forum posts
5 photos

I usually view the mag on a laptop so like to download to read when I offline, although i also have a small tablet it's more hassle to make the print big enough to read and navigate the page and you have to keep moving the image to stop auto shutdown. It's very bad to discontinue windows support without giving customers notice beforehand.

Lionel

Enough!24/02/2020 17:35:35
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Journeyman on 24/02/2020 11:30:44:

PocketMags also works from within a browser. Using Firefox, Edge, Safari, Chrome just go to pocketmags.com there go to My Library and Account, log in with user name and password and you can then access your Mags.

Can you still access your (already paid for) issues if your subscription lapses?

JasonB24/02/2020 18:05:15
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I would assume so as I have purchased individual mag (different titles) and they are available after several years

David Caunt24/02/2020 18:05:52
110 forum posts
40 photos

Bandersnatch's question is a very important one.,

I cannot believe that the digital copies we have paid for are actually on our computers. If they are, perhaps someone could find out where they are hidden.

It would be great if we could just open them as a PDF.

Dave

Edited By David Caunt on 24/02/2020 18:06:59

Enough!24/02/2020 18:30:03
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by David Caunt on 24/02/2020 18:05:52:

I cannot believe that the digital copies we have paid for are actually on our computers.

It would be my assumption that they are not, if accessed via the browser at pocketmags.com. Hence my question. When I used the app (some years ago), issues were downloaded to your computer and remained there even if the subscription lapsed ... or, as in my case, they stopped supporting Windows 8.1 at that time. If they now no longer support Win-10 .....

| It would be great if we could just open them as a PDF.

Well - this, of course, is the niggle that underlies this and many similar discussions here. Don't hold your breath.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 24/02/2020 18:30:32

Frances IoM24/02/2020 18:48:49
1395 forum posts
30 photos
the 'deal' with HTML5 is supposed to be that it can't be hacked to make the underlying image available for storage otherwise you could download all images to your machine and share around. The idea is that you need to keep subscribing to continue to gain access to previously subscribed-to issues - effectively you have joined a lending library that only loans you an image whilst you still cough up.
JasonB24/02/2020 18:56:58
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I have almost all my MEs on my PC and can open them to view even when not connected though not as PDF as they were never in that format.

Problem is many don't use Pocketmags and have (had) not set up the app to download them to their machines.

JasonB24/02/2020 19:13:11
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Now there's a funny thing.

This morning the more recent mags were not showing up in the app so could not be downloaded. Just opened up the app and they are now there so downloaded the latest ME. Shut down the app and disconnected form the internet and reopened the app. latest issue is now there and viewable offline.

Limpet, can I ask you to try the same on your machine and see if you can add the latest mag to your device and report back.

Limpet24/02/2020 22:14:35
136 forum posts
5 photos

Jason

This morning the thumbnails were blank and would not download I will try again in the morning and let you know

Lionel

Enough!24/02/2020 22:47:31
1719 forum posts
1 photos

'Nother funny thing. Even though I haven't used it in years, I discovered I still have the PocketMags app on my (Win-8.1 desktop) system so I tried running it to see if I still have the MEW issues from that time on my system.

Well, the app wouldn't run and I recall now that's where I got to before .... the app stopped running and when I checked there was no update for Win-8.1 and no plans for one. (In fact, if I recall correctly, PM specifically said, at that time, they would no longer be supporting Win-8.1 or earlier .... nice, especially after ensuring that the existing version of the app broke so that I couldn't even access the issues I'd downloaded up to that time).

At that point I said a few choice words about PM, wrote the whole thing off and moved on.

I just checked on line. I still can't get a local app but I was able to get into my account and I could still see all those (2013 - 2017) MEW issues from that time. I can't download them - no point, I don't have an app that works - but I can view them on line.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 24/02/2020 22:50:04

David Caunt24/02/2020 22:56:20
110 forum posts
40 photos

Don't you still have a current subscription to MEW, if so then why wouldn't you still have access to those you previously purchased.

I thought we were saying that when you no longer have a subscription they would be unavailable.

Neil Wyatt24/02/2020 22:57:58
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

I have asked MyTimeMedia to clarify this situation with PocketMags.

No reply yet, which is why I didn't post earlier as I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Neil

Neil Wyatt24/02/2020 23:04:55
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Frances IoM on 24/02/2020 18:48:49:
the 'deal' with HTML5 is supposed to be that it can't be hacked to make the underlying image available for storage otherwise you could download all images to your machine and share around. The idea is that you need to keep subscribing to continue to gain access to previously subscribed-to issues - effectively you have joined a lending library that only loans you an image whilst you still cough up.

No that is not how our subscriptions work. With pocketmags you keep access after your subscription has expired as long as you have your pocketmags account, which is free, you only pay for magazines once.

But also, yes, the hackers are so quick and inventive these days we have to use HTML5 to keep a lid on piracy.

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate