Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Pet peeves!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Gould 115/08/2019 21:12:51
231 forum posts
131 photos

I’m sure we all have one and mine regards to my favourite Mitutoyo micrometer. It only fits in the box when the anvils are nearly touching. And it’s one of those old Mitutoyo’s with the mechanical numerical wheels so every time I have to store it I worry about the wear and tear to that rather intricate bit of kit.

Why didn’t they design the box so that the thing would fit with the thimble “extended”?

Mark

old mart15/08/2019 22:36:06
4655 forum posts
304 photos

I have that problem with some battery drills. They won't fit in the box if the jaws are projecting from the face of the chuck.

ega15/08/2019 23:57:52
2805 forum posts
219 photos
Posted by Mark Gould 1 on 15/08/2019 21:12:51:

I’m sure we all have one and mine regards to my favourite Mitutoyo micrometer. It only fits in the box when the anvils are nearly touching. And it’s one of those old Mitutoyo’s with the mechanical numerical wheels so every time I have to store it I worry about the wear and tear to that rather intricate bit of kit.

Why didn’t they design the box so that the thing would fit with the thimble “extended”?

Mark

They did:

dscn1592.jpg

But, so far as I know, M&W didn't!

FullaFlava16/08/2019 00:12:48
30 forum posts
52 photos

Drill boxes where the small drill bits fall out and jam the lid so it won’t open or require removing most of the other bits to retrieve the dislodged ones.

Blow moulded tool boxes for corded tools which require the cable to be just so before you can close the lid.

Grease guns. Never met one I liked.

Robin Graham16/08/2019 01:06:58
1089 forum posts
345 photos

Dog who howls insanely every time I descend to my cellar workshop because she thinks that's where I keep my pork scratchings. She's right in that, but makes the mistake of thinking that the only reason I ever go down there is to scoff unhealthy snacks. A very peeving pet!

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 16/08/2019 01:12:20

Mark Gould 116/08/2019 02:24:52
231 forum posts
131 photos
Posted by ega on 15/08/2019 23:57:52:

Mark

They did:

dscn1592.jpg

I need a box like that! Haha exactly what I was referring to,

Mark

Jan B16/08/2019 06:54:09
43 forum posts
11 photos

3-D print and make a box the way you want it.

Jan

Graham Stoppani16/08/2019 08:50:40
157 forum posts
29 photos

Why do manufacturers stamp the drill size just where the chuck jaws go?

JasonB16/08/2019 09:01:21
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles
Posted by ega on 15/08/2019 23:57:52:

Mark

They did:

dscn1592.jpg

Looks to me that they only half thought it through as the mic will only fit if open to less than 1/2"

Robert Atkinson 216/08/2019 09:40:12
1891 forum posts
37 photos

Half way is the ideal storage position, no more than 1/2 max turns no matter what you measure next.

My pet peeve is people promoting illegal car modifications like DPF / EGR deletion or LED lights on motoring forums without noting they are illegal

Robert G8RPI.

Mick B116/08/2019 09:41:52
2444 forum posts
139 photos

Mark

Wow! Does your 0,01mm counter still work? Mine jammed immovably about a month after I bought it in 1976, so I took it out - but I still use the Imperial vernier mic!

I wonder if I could buy a new counter?

Mark Gould 116/08/2019 12:59:18
231 forum posts
131 photos

Mick, I bought mine second hand and yes it still works but I am bery gentle with it and having to screw it closed to get it in the box makes me cringe every time. I think I’ll take Jan B’s advice and construct a new case.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate