Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Melton Mowbray and District Model Engineers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Purves15/11/2018 16:21:22
28 forum posts
14 photos

Just a brief update on this little known society. We are looking to raise our profile slightly and a couple of members have been having extra working parties to improve the track site ready for the next running days.

we generally run on the Third Sunday of each month and visitors are welcome with or without an engine. usual rules apply!

We have just created a Facebook page which is visible even to those that aren't users on Facebook, This will be updated with news and events from the club. If you are on Facebook give the page a like to keep abreast of the news!

www.facebook.com/mmdmes/

JC5415/11/2018 18:57:41
154 forum posts
14 photos

I have just looked at your facebook page and everything on it is loco based. I spoke to your chairman at Warwick show and explained that not all model engineers have the skills/financial resources/wish to build locos or traction engines. You had some superb non loco/traction models on display at Warwick would it be possible as a club/society to promote other aspects of model engineering. I am very local to MMDES and would be very interested in joining if it didn't appear so narrow in content. I guess that my comments will stir up a few people but as a beginner to this hobby it would be really good to be able to sit and have a chat, cup of tea with like minded people every now and then.

Steve Purves15/11/2018 19:10:13
28 forum posts
14 photos
Hi JC. I must add that the Facebook page has only been set up for the 2 weeks or so since Warwick. I am a loco man at heart and can only report on what I have in front of me. I can assure you we are all inclusive of all forms of engineering but for the last few weeks we have been catching up with housekeeping at the track site so that is all that has been reported. We had our club meeting this Monday gone but as it was the annual auction there was not much to report. Hopefully as time passes the content on the Facebook page will reflect our clubs true and diverse interests. We will be at the track site this weekend, it would be great to see you there?
bricky15/11/2018 19:19:59
627 forum posts
72 photos

Wissendine open weekend used to be an event that I attended every year.Whatever happened to it as year on year it gets smaller and has lost the glory days a few years ago.The tent where the stationary engines were wasn't there this year.I know that it is free to the public and is a club event but the club used to do it so well,what went wrong.

Frank

Steve Purves15/11/2018 19:26:10
28 forum posts
14 photos
Hello Frank. Thanks for the feedback. I too attended those open days stretching back 25 years at least! It's true that the show has been slightly off the boil of late. It is my personal mission to reverse that if I can! The only way we can do this is by advertising and encouraging more exhibits. We are not a rich club so rely on a lot of good will. Hopefully we can return the goodwill by putting on a good show again! I will pass on your comments to the committee
Cheers
Steve
Ketan Swali15/11/2018 19:31:40
1481 forum posts
149 photos
Posted by JC54 on 15/11/2018 18:57:41:

I have just looked at your facebook page and everything on it is loco based. I spoke to your chairman at Warwick show and explained that not all model engineers have the skills/financial resources/wish to build locos or traction engines. You had some superb non loco/traction models on display at Warwick would it be possible as a club/society to promote other aspects of model engineering. I am very local to MMDES and would be very interested in joining if it didn't appear so narrow in content. I guess that my comments will stir up a few people but as a beginner to this hobby it would be really good to be able to sit and have a chat, cup of tea with like minded people every now and then.

Hi JC,

Loco or otherwise, I can assure you that the MMDES are one of the most helpful and entertaining club I have have come across. As Steve suggested, do go there this weekend and have a chat with the guys over a cup of tea. I know that I definitely enjoyed my last visit to their track site.. even though it was a few years back.

Ketan at ARC.

Edited By Ketan Swali on 15/11/2018 19:51:12

Ketan Swali15/11/2018 19:35:09
1481 forum posts
149 photos

Steve,

Congratulations on your FB page.

Sad to read about the passing away of Rudi. He will be greatly missed.... I will especially miss the prods from his walking stick

Ketan at Arc.

Steve Purves15/11/2018 19:45:12
28 forum posts
14 photos
Thanks for your kind comments Ketan. It was indeed a sad loss to the community in Rudi' s passing. He will be missed by many
Regards
Steve
Brian H15/11/2018 20:29:15
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Steve, just happened upon the website and it brought back fond memories of Whissendine rallys when I used to go with a 3" Marshall Road Roller.

I'll keep an eye out for open days (possibly next year now.)

All the best for the club

Brian

JC5416/11/2018 13:14:01
154 forum posts
14 photos

Steve,

Thank you for your reply and invitation. I would like to have nipped over at the weekend for a chat but have prior family commitments. I will see you in the new year. Could I suggest that if any members have pictures of the club display at Warwick that you put them on the facebook page. It was a good display and does show a bit more of the diversity of the club. Could you get the contact details on the website updated as the email address appears to be invalid. Also inform model engineering of meetings etc to include in their club events page. Hopefully a couple of ideas to help raise the club profile and improve access for new members. JC

Ady116/11/2018 15:01:48
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Best pies ever

Just had two for lunch

Neil Wyatt16/11/2018 17:59:51
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Ady1 on 16/11/2018 15:01:48:

Best pies ever

Just had two for lunch

As a veggie I'm keener on the Stilton - I had some for breakfast today

Neil

JC5416/11/2018 18:43:50
154 forum posts
14 photos

Iusedto work part time at one of the stilton factories and after turning hundreds of them over every day you got so that you couldn't face another stilton.crook Now the pies food of the gods.....smiley

Howard Lewis17/11/2018 23:34:14
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Sadly, recently attended the funeral of Rudi Mischetlager, one of your members and a former Peterborough member. A great loss to the hobby!

Howard

Steve Purves18/11/2018 16:24:21
28 forum posts
14 photos
Small update to the page today of the running session. I will endeavour to get more non railway activities featured over the winter months.
Cheers
Steve
Andrew Tinsley18/11/2018 17:33:23
1817 forum posts
2 photos

I attended today's steam up. Came away very impressed by the friendliness of the members and I enjoyed the locos too! The only downside was that the catering ladies ran out of Bacon Butties when it came to my turn!!

Seriously, it was very good indeed!

Andrew.

Steve Purves18/11/2018 18:04:10
28 forum posts
14 photos
Hi Andrew.
I am glad you enjoyed yourself. It was a very good turn out and reflects well for the future meets. A few rides were had and given. I'd have taken more photographs but I couldn't give my engine away!
Steve Purves20/11/2018 22:13:50
28 forum posts
14 photos
A video of our latest meeting

https://youtu.be/OBw6P3NDdFU
Geoff Theasby21/11/2018 01:45:36
615 forum posts
21 photos

Hi Steve,

if you publish a club newsletter, or even if you don't, I would be pleased to include MMDMES in Club News. Tell me what you have been doing, send me newsletters, photos, press releases etc., or just chat when you can. Perhaps appoint a publicity officer? Send your future meetings schedule to Martin Evans, for inclusion in Club Diary.

Geoff

Steve Purves21/11/2018 12:43:23
28 forum posts
14 photos
Posted by Geoff Theasby on 21/11/2018 01:45:36:

Hi Steve,

if you publish a club newsletter, or even if you don't, I would be pleased to include MMDMES in Club News. Tell me what you have been doing, send me newsletters, photos, press releases etc., or just chat when you can. Perhaps appoint a publicity officer? Send your future meetings schedule to Martin Evans, for inclusion in Club Diary.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I have been appointed Publicity/Media officer, Please let me know how best to contact you and Martin

Regards

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate