Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Supplier for a Drill Chuck Key

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Harland01/07/2018 21:34:04
8 forum posts
2 photos

My Press drills key went walk about a few months ago and i have tried to find a supplier for the right chuck key but i dont know enough about press drill chucks not to order the wrong thing. It has WUE JT3 16MM on the side of it. The hole where you put the key seems to be about 8mm and the distance from the centre of the hole to the bottom of the teeth seems to be 13mm. Any help would be a blessing. Thanks.

Brian G02/07/2018 07:02:00
912 forum posts
40 photos
Been there, done that

Chronos sell them by pin diameter and number of teeth. If you measure the tooth spacing you can calculate how many teeth you need.

Brian
Pat Bravery02/07/2018 11:00:03
96 forum posts
24 photos

I ordered some chuck keys from Arc Eurotrade on Friday and they arrived this morning, impressive service. Your key is probably a 040-010-00321, check their website and check. Regards Pat

Alistair Robertson 102/07/2018 11:02:14
154 forum posts
6 photos

This can be a minefield!

A few years ago we bought a brand new Jacobs 1/2" drill chuck. The supplied key was too big in the pin diameter.

The supplier tried to get the correct key from Jacobs but after 5 attemps to supply the correct key they sent everything back to get things sorted out. The chuck came back with the wrong key again! I found a phone number among the correspondence in the box for Jacobs. The guy I phoned said that they had many complaints about the key not fitting but they could do nothing about it as it was the correct key!!

We pressed out the handle and machined the pin to the correct size. Job done!

We then did the same for any chucks that the supplier got in to stock.

"The paperwork says it will fit so it must fit"

Alistair.

larry phelan 102/07/2018 11:29:16
1346 forum posts
15 photos

Having seen too many keys getting lost in my last job,resulting in the chuck being hammered open and closed [yes,it did happen ], I decided that I would avoid this situation in my own workshop. The answer is quite simple,I attached the key to the machine by a length of chain,problem solved !! Never once over the last thirty plus years has that key gone AWOL. You can spend more time looking for the chuck key than it takes to do the job. Friends who have seen it think it,s a great idea and have copied it,although I dont see it as any big deal,just common sense.

Still,that does not help me to find my 6" rule which I "misplaced" weeks ago. Perhaps a longer chain ?.

PS I have a collection of chuck keys,big,small and in between,from many different drills. Why the Hell can they not settle for four or five sizes and be done with it ?

steamdave02/07/2018 12:01:07
526 forum posts
45 photos

Maybe keyless chucks are the way forward.
(Except that they take up too much headroom).

Dave
The Emerald Isle

David Harland03/07/2018 08:06:58
8 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks Guys, Ive ordered the one suggested by Pat Bravery. I am tempted by the keyless chuck steamdave but not going to pay out until this one is unusable. I like it larry phelan 1 though i may just attach one of the high power magnets to it and attach it that way i always get a little concerned about dangly things near moving parts.Thanks Alistair and Brian also. Will let you know if it fits

Ian Welford03/07/2018 23:19:39
300 forum posts

i have a rare eart( magnet on the side of the drill and just stick the key to that, fast and easy !

i have converted one drill to,keyless but still like my fobco with key as then you can easily use it to start taps , cos the keyless ones undo when you twist backwards

hope it fits Ian

Neil Wyatt04/07/2018 18:54:26
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Alistair Robertson 1 on 02/07/2018 11:02:14:

I found a phone number among the correspondence in the box for Jacobs. The guy I phoned said that they had many complaints about the key not fitting but they could do nothing about it as it was the correct key!!

We pressed out the handle and machined the pin to the correct size. Job done!

We then did the same for any chucks that the supplier got in to stock.

"The paperwork says it will fit so it must fit"

Good job it was an American chuck, not a Chinese one ... this thread would have run on for years...

Neil Wyatt04/07/2018 18:56:06
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Ian Welford on 03/07/2018 23:19:39:

i have a rare eart( magnet on the side of the drill and just stick the key to that, fast and easy !

Ditto

N.

Michael Gilligan04/07/2018 19:33:22
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 04/07/2018 18:56:06:
Posted by Ian Welford on 03/07/2018 23:19:39:

Ditto

N.

My Amolco drill has a convenient cast-in lug with a hole in it to take the key.

... I thought they would all be like that.

[presumably now omitted to save a couple of Yuan, or Rupees]

MichaelG.

Ian Welford04/07/2018 22:10:30
300 forum posts

bs

Yes Michael

the fobco star has one too and I do,use it (honest) but the bigger Boxford has a tray on the column for stuff , and a magnet is faster and less likely to get missed by the key when i’m rushing a bit.

If the chuck key concerned is for a jacobs it will have somewhere the K size. RDG do,spare keys and they’re ok.

cheers Ian

Bill Phinn27/11/2020 22:07:20
1076 forum posts
129 photos

Not sure whether it's worth starting a new thread for this so am posting here for now.

Could anyone tell me what code Jacobs chuck key, if any, corresponds to the non-Jacobs key I have for my Chinese-made "Golden Goose" keyed chuck? The current key has twelve teeth and apparently a 5/16" pilot. Jacobs' own information charts don't seem to list such a key.

Thank you.

not done it yet27/11/2020 23:42:12
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Bill Phinn on 27/11/2020 22:07:20:

Not sure whether it's worth starting a new thread for this so am posting here for now.

Could anyone tell me what code Jacobs chuck key, if any, corresponds to the non-Jacobs key I have for my Chinese-made "Golden Goose" keyed chuck? The current key has twelve teeth and apparently a 5/16" pilot. Jacobs' own information charts don't seem to list such a key.

Thank you.

Are you sure the ‘apparently 5/16”’ is not 8mm?

Bill Phinn28/11/2020 02:01:20
1076 forum posts
129 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 27/11/2020 23:42:12:

Are you sure the ‘apparently 5/16”’ is not 8mm?

I'm not at all sure what it's intended to be, but measuring all round it repeatedly with a micrometer gives me readings between 7.92mm and 7.94mm.

Howard Lewis28/11/2020 17:53:56
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Like someone else on here, I pressed out the pin and turned down the spigot, to be a snug fit in the chuck, before refitting the pin.

Most keys are a looser fit than I would like, but maybe that's just me..

With regard to a Chinese chuck, with a diameter of 7.92 / 7.94, I would say that it was supposed to be 8 mm, rather than an Imperial size such as 5/16., but 7.94 is 0.312 in old money. But see my views above on the fit.

Howard

duncan webster28/11/2020 18:12:57
5307 forum posts
83 photos

I have a chinese drill chuck where the 3 holes are at different heights, I adjusted the outer ring longways (hit it with a hammer, carefully of course) until the key engaged properly with the teeth for one hole, then ground a mark to identify which hole works.

Roger Best01/12/2020 21:56:27
406 forum posts
56 photos

My new milling machine came with a whopping great chuck, 16mm I think, but it has a very short key, only a couple of inches long, so there is very little leverage and it won't hold a 6mm drill tight enough to stop it slipping. - Useless!

Obviously turning up a handle is the next job, but I suspect that a longer shaft/whatnot will help get the turned handle clear of the chuck.

Roger Best01/12/2020 22:08:34
406 forum posts
56 photos

13mm! wink

Roger Best04/12/2020 19:44:25
406 forum posts
56 photos

No I was right first time.

Yet another case of the Warco website being wrong about what they ship, in this case not a problem as such, I just need to get something for holes below 3mm for Christmas.

At least type B16 chucks are a common standard.

cimg9331.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate