Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

blowtorch

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
henryb02/04/2018 20:07:40
51 forum posts
3 photos

Hello all.

I have a cheap magnum propane blowtorch. I made a little hearth to silver solder a tiny boiler and as the boiler got red just about ready to put the solder on the torch goes out. I am using it in a little shed. do you think i need to use it outside or do the hearth a bit different so it does not suffocate. the boiler was the corner.

Thanks

Henry

JohnF02/04/2018 20:11:21
1243 forum posts
202 photos

Was the shed door open or closed ?

fizzy02/04/2018 20:16:22
1860 forum posts
121 photos

You need to let the hearth breathe a bit - the burner had used all availible oxygen, hold torch further away for better results.

henryb02/04/2018 20:38:39
51 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by JohnF on 02/04/2018 20:11:21:

Was the shed door open or closed ?

I think it may have been open but it is only a small shed.

Michael Briggs02/04/2018 22:28:25
221 forum posts
12 photos

If there was a lack of oxygen in your shed I think you would be physically aware. Sounds to me like a nearly empty gas canister. Regards, Michael.

henryb03/04/2018 08:27:47
51 forum posts
3 photos

I will have to have an experiment and see if it keeps going when i hold it outside ect. i think it may be lack of oxygen in the immediate area. i was thinking of putting a tube around the burner so it draws air nearer to my hand (further away from heat)

Keith Hale03/04/2018 08:34:24
334 forum posts
1 photos

If the canister is not empty, the answer may well lie in your description of the torch - cheap!

Such torches can starve themselves of air as the cylinder tilts and becomes horizontal. The flame goes out.

What does the company that has your money say?

Regards

Keith

not done it yet03/04/2018 08:58:15
7517 forum posts
20 photos

If the canister is not near empty or freezing, the answer is more likely in the mode of operation. Poster says ‘it suffocates’. Until that point, it would appear that the burner operates fine. Expensive burners are usually those with often not-needed extras.

henryb03/04/2018 09:29:40
51 forum posts
3 photos

The smaller burner has got air holes in the side and the bigger one i put on has air holes in the back and they both go out as soon as the boiler goes red so maybe it has got to do oxygen in that area. i did have the torch horizontal all the time when i was using it.

Vic03/04/2018 11:06:18
3453 forum posts
23 photos

I find my torch goes out if I get it too near the back of the hearth. Moving the workpiece forward of the hearth normally does the trick.

Roderick Jenkins03/04/2018 11:13:42
2376 forum posts
800 photos

I've had the same problem as Vic with Sievert torches. I think the combustion products get bounced back towards the torch and dilute the incoming air supply. A cyclone burner, which has the air input closer to the handle, helps but even this has problems in a confined area like firebox.

Rod

Vic03/04/2018 12:08:47
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Yes mines a Sievert torch as well Rod. I use refractory bricks as a temporary “hearth” so maybe the reflected heat doesn’t help either. As I say though, moving the work away from the back of my hearth usually does the trick.

henryb03/04/2018 20:59:20
51 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks for the help everyone. i will just try putting a tube on the burner to see if it helps.

henryb11/04/2018 09:08:02
51 forum posts
3 photos

i turned the adjustable regulator down a bit and that seems to help a lot.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate