By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Michael Briggs

Here is a list of all the postings Michael Briggs has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Manual for older Jaguar Cub inverter
02/09/2022 21:58:44

That takes me back a long long time ..... Link

Michael

Thread: Financial surnames
05/03/2022 20:36:14

Some years ago I got a tax demand from HMRC, signed by Mr Leech.

Thread: NT VFD control legend meaning
23/02/2022 18:13:40

I'm with John on this, I can't understand why the red region is not solid.

Michael

Thread: Lathe: Crunchy noises in lower gears
08/12/2021 10:30:33

I took delivery of my M250 earlier this year. It had some damage to the headstock gears which made some ratios noisier than others, probably caused by changing the gear selection under power or before the spindle had stopped. Also the gearchange was a bit notchy for some ratios.

I changed the gearbox oil, that made the gearbox a bit quieter and improved gear selection. I always change gear with the spindle stationary (as you should). Over time that has greatly improved the smoothness of the selection.

As Jason has suggested, remove the top cover and have a look inside the gearbox.

Michael

Thread: Clive Sinclar
17/09/2021 17:25:05

I too built the scientific calculator kit and learned to use rpn input. Rpn is still my preferred choice using a couple of vintage HP calculators.

Built the ZX81 with the memory extension that plugged in the back, it crashed for fun as you typed your code in. The problem was that the connectors were only tinned, so with a little oxidation the contact failed. The official fix was to smear the connector with Vaseline, a bit messy but it did solve the problem.

It was all a bit flaky but it helped stimulate my early interest in electronics.

RIP Sir Clive

Thread: Sheet metal saw.
31/08/2021 22:48:55

I pressed post once, generated two

Edited By Michael Briggs on 31/08/2021 22:51:34

31/08/2021 22:48:54

As JasonB suggests, angle grinder with thin disc. If you are cutting straight, clamp a sacrificial length of angle as a guide. The angle won’t suffer much.

Thread: MT 4 1/2
29/08/2021 14:42:16

I need one for my Harrison M250, I have created a "Wanted" Ad but it hasn't appeared yet. I don't know if I have created the ad correctly, it is the first time I have used this service.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Toolpost issue
05/05/2021 18:56:18

I would not compromise the rigidity of the top slide to accommodate oversize tooling. I would either take Mike's advice, or reduce the height of the tooling.

Michael

Thread: First steps with a Shapeoko router table
20/04/2021 23:39:11

John H,

I recently purchased a Multifix set from PeWeTools Germany. Slightly different to your experience in that the initial courier was DHL then passed on to Parcelforce who charge £12 handling for an import. Then held by Parcelforce until I paid 2.5% duty and 20% vat levied by our friends at HMRC, delivery was next day after payment was made.

Michael

Edited By Michael Briggs on 20/04/2021 23:43:42

Thread: VAT changes post Brexit
19/04/2021 22:06:02

Apologies Mark, I have only just seen your post. Yes they were sold without VAT. The delivery was sent via DHL then transferred to Parcel Force who add a £12 handling charge.

The total charge was PeWeTools with no vat + £12 handling + 2.5% duty and 20% vat on the PeWeTools cost.

14/04/2021 09:51:49

I received a toolholder set from PeWeTools last week. The charges levied were 2.5% import duty and 20% VAT.

Thread: Oddball inverter
12/04/2021 10:35:44

Duncan, I may be able to help if I could find the manual for the VFD. I have searched for it and can't find anything for the SC A2 400M.

Michael

Thread: Greenwood Tools
02/04/2021 21:47:07

I visited the Greenwood Tools website this evening and I am saddened to see that they are closing. I have bought a few items from them over the years at ME exhibitions, always friendly and helpful people to deal with.

Michael

Thread: Quality kit supplies in the UK?
27/02/2021 18:06:37

Stuart Models are a good choice, the fasteners are BA so you will need some additional tooling.

Michael

Thread: Sourcing Cable Glands of a specific type
25/02/2021 23:02:54

The original glands are an older design rated at IP65, the dome type are generally IP68, a higher level of protection against moisture ingress. If you replace like for like they will probably fail, I would upgrade. The dome type will not exert excessive pressure unless you overtighten them.

Regards Michael

Thread: Chinese AT vfd heatsink and grounding
17/02/2021 14:03:15

A high impedance DVM can show some surprising readings from floating electronics.

For example I have just checked a mobile phone charger, 50 vac to earth and an ipad charger, 80 vac to earth. Both OEM chargers supplied with the devices.

Michael

Thread: Chuck runout at different distances from jaws
12/02/2021 21:02:21

Hello Peter, I would put a mark on the chuck and back plate to reference orientation. Remove the chuck from the back plate and check that the back plate mating surface runs true. That could eliminate or discover a source of error.

Michael

Thread: Er25 collets
03/01/2021 17:48:43

Hello Jeremy, I bought a few imperial collets for the convenience of the cutter not falling out of the collet when I release it. For example a 1/4" shank imperial cutter falls out of a 7mm collet when it is released, in a 1/4" collet it stays put.

Thread: Problem with DRO's memory or with mine?
02/01/2021 21:37:49

Hello Bill, I have a SDS6 on my lathe. The display counts pulses from the scales when they move while it is powered up and stores the position when power is turned off. It can’t measure if or how far it has moved without power applied.

Edited By Michael Briggs on 02/01/2021 21:41:44

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate