The true cost of Diesel?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Vic03/11/2017 12:03:25
3453 forum posts
23 photos

I came across this the other day:

**LINK**

Where I live Diesel is only about 2 pence a litre more expensive than Petrol but given that you only get half as much Diesel per barrel of crude compared to petrol shouldn’t it be a lot more expensive? Not withstanding VAT and Fuel duty I wonder why Diesel is being sold so cheap or am I missing something?

Martin Kyte03/11/2017 12:22:47
3445 forum posts
62 photos

Interesting question.

Couple of thoughts. (well four actually)

1. The price at the pump is mostly Tax.

2. It's all one process. You crack your barrel of oil into all the components and sell each product at whatever price you can with the overhead spread out accross the range. If you doubled the price of deisel everyone would switch to petrol.

3. At one time the refineries used to flare off the petrol as there was no market for it.

4. I would be interested to know if I would be right in thinking that fuel is the least profitable part of the barrel as oppposed to chemicals, plastics lubricating oils etc.

regards Martin

Bob Stevenson03/11/2017 12:39:48
579 forum posts
7 photos

Leaving aside the fact that diesel and petrol have different 'power signatures' and the difficulty of evaluating their work comparison in ordinary road use, the pump prices are entirely set by marketing considerations such as demand, stocking reserves and topically, public attitudes and media coercian, not to mention political 'weather'.

With politics always eyeing up false environmental pressures the future of diesel pricing looks problematic........

not done it yet03/11/2017 13:27:24
7517 forum posts
20 photos

The price has nothing to do with how much of any one fraction one might get from a barrel.

Little fifferent than mixing one gallon of water with two gallons of oil - on separation, the one gallon of water is not worth twice that of the oil.

Cost and worth are not the same thing with oil fractions.

A barrel of oil can be fractionated, initially into the full range of boiling point components - from gases, volatile liquids, less volatile liquids, to (eventually) remaining solids. This would vary with the type of crude, particularly dependent on origin (north sea oil is more valuable as it contains more of the lighter components).

Further refining can be arranged to crack the longer carbon chain constituents into smaller carbon chain liquids and gases.

Each stage costs money and the final range of products may each have a different value, dependent on how useful they might be. Fuels for burning are not particularly exciting, do not require so much refining and have less value than feedstocks for, say, plastics production. The design of the cracking process can tailored to achieve different ratios of final products (more, or less, of one constituent compared with another),

I note a trend in this type of thread, from this poster, which have undertones of 'diesel haters'. Very much akin to nimbyism where renewable energy instalkations might be involved. The OP, I think, needs to look more closely at the refining industry before jumping to incorrect conclusions in order to try to stir up more hysterical claptrap about different oil fractions. Diesel is not only burned in vehicle engines. The same fraction, and closely related ones, are burned in oil fired central heating installations which are still a popular choice for home heating in places which do not have gas mains.

Neil Wyatt03/11/2017 13:42:58
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

I think the main effect of the flak diesel is getting is to make petrol users feel less guilty about their carbon emissions.

Ady103/11/2017 13:49:45
6137 forum posts
893 photos

I read somewhere that petrol and diesel are the waste products of the oil cracking process

not done it yet03/11/2017 15:34:32
7517 forum posts
20 photos

I read somewhere that petrol and diesel are the waste products of the oil cracking process

A by-product might be a better description. We should not be wasting anything from this valuable resource!

Chris Evans 603/11/2017 16:48:05
2156 forum posts

Not Done It Yet, I think you are on to something and Vic the original poster is on a soapbox as a diesel hater. I am just about to buy another car and yup tis a 3 litre diesel.

not done it yet03/11/2017 18:59:22
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Yup, Three threads in the same vein started in just the last month!

ChrisH03/11/2017 20:28:37
1023 forum posts
30 photos

Diesel haters as maybe, but the reality is that diesel haters could not live if they boycotted buying any and all goods that didn't come to them under diesel power. It's all well and good having these green feelings, but real life doesn't work like that!

Neil Wyatt03/11/2017 21:10:44
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Vic and Diesel are like Blowlamp and Bitcoin...

not done it yet03/11/2017 21:20:49
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Please enlighten, or do you mean the same as 'like a dog with a bone'?smiley

Vic03/11/2017 21:22:17
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Some of you may not like progress but it’s coming anyway whether you like it or not. In days gone by folks extolled the virtue of horse transport and the steam engine but they went the same way that Diesel will eventually, at least for road transport.

IanT03/11/2017 21:29:56
2147 forum posts
222 photos

Never owned a Diesel - so I cannot really say too much about them.

I owned a 3ltr Alfa Romeo for 12 years (from new - and she was called Bella) and (this may surprise you) but she used to sing to me. I have to tell you that I really loved that car and I still miss her - which is a strange thing to admit really. I now drive her younger sister (Bel) who is so modest that she only costs me £30 a year in road tax (instead of £300).

But whilst I'm very fond of Bel, I'm afraid my heart remains elsewhere...

Now what were we talking about - oh yes - Diesels...

IanT

not done it yet03/11/2017 21:36:32
7517 forum posts
20 photos

So will petrol - it will run out, 'cos the dinosaurs aren't making any more! devil And petrol is likely no better than diesel when push comes to shove.

The electric revolution is coming; ICE vehicles, as we know them today, will be a thing of the past. Nowt to do with diesel prices compared to petrol, I might add.

ChrisH03/11/2017 22:03:49
1023 forum posts
30 photos

It's not a question of liking or not liking progress Vic, and progress isn't always a good thing, but of accepting the reality of life today, as we live it, as it is presented to us, as is factual today, not as we might like it to be in some dreamy wishful way. We have what we have.

When technology has moved on then something else will be presented to us, but in the meantime diesel - and oil of other extractions - powers all transport of goods as well as most folk, except for some electric trains, and will do for the forseeable future. It also powers some of the electric power station that supply the national grid, so even if we use electric power oil is sometimes the provider of that electric power.

It may not be what you want but is what you have, and will have for quite a while yet.

Neil Wyatt03/11/2017 22:05:47
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by not done it yet on 03/11/2017 21:20:49:

Please enlighten, or do you mean the same as 'like a dog with a bone'?smiley

Probably!

steamdave03/11/2017 23:22:51
526 forum posts
45 photos
Posted by Vic on 03/11/2017 12:03:25:

I came across this the other day:

**LINK**

Where I live Diesel is only about 2 pence a litre more expensive than Petrol ... Not withstanding VAT and Fuel duty I wonder why Diesel is being sold so cheap or am I missing something?

Over here in Ireland, Diesel is 10c / ltr cheaper than petrol.

About 12 years ago we were all 'persuaded' to buy diesel vehicles because of the evil petrol pollution. Now the Greenies want to bring the cost of petrol up to match diesel because of the evil diesel pollution, and they wonder why they don't get any votes.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Mark Rand04/11/2017 02:13:58
1505 forum posts
56 photos

Surely the real debate should be whether one uses anthracite, steam coal or soft coal in one's firebox? cheeky

Chris Evans 604/11/2017 08:55:37
2156 forum posts

Things will most likely go full circle and in a few years time petrol will become the new evil. I love my diesels, over 35 years with one old series Land Rover, no pollution involved in making me another one to drive. I ran a Perkins "Prima" engine Montego for 248000 miles with just a new water pump and a wheel bearing. All the time returning 54 MPG. Which pollutes most ? I would have worn two or three petrol engine cars out in that time.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate