iPad Battery is failing ...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan21/05/2016 09:38:43
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

My 'original' iPad, has been in daily use:

It is now showing signs of imminent battery failure, so I have some questions:

1. When the battery dies completely, is there any way I can use it on external power ?
  2. Can anyone advise regarding DIY battery replacement

I will doubtless buy a new iPad, but would like to continue using this one in the workshop.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 21/05/2016 09:39:18

Chris Shelton21/05/2016 09:51:02
92 forum posts
46 photos

Hello,

Apple offer a battery replacement service, £75.00 plus £7.44 return postage.

All the batteries offered on the famous auction site are not genuine.

Also iPads are rather difficult to dismantle, without damaging the touch screen.

korby21/05/2016 10:03:06
37 forum posts
2 photos

You can use it hooked up to a USB pSU even with a dud batt, I have a IPAD and IPhone son gave me with tired batts

Can use the iPhone fed from power bank when mobile but not very convienant .

Despite a life time of electronics cannot see how to open them without damage.

Mike Poole21/05/2016 10:09:41
3676 forum posts
82 photos

The procedure to dismantle an iPad is on YouTube, it looks fraught with danger of destroying the screen. The apple repair is probably a good deal.

Mike

Muzzer21/05/2016 10:30:24
2904 forum posts
448 photos

I've dismantled an iPad and it's not for the feint hearted. As Michael says there are videos on Youtube but they don't really convey the full horror.

First step to remove the screen is warming it all around the edge with a hair drier. This softens the adhesive to a tacky consistency (everything is held behind the glass screen which is glued in place). Then you pry the glass away from the metal body using a guitar plectrum or a special tool of similar thickness. Clearly the glass bends a fair bit during this process and if you are hoping to reuse it, this is a risky operation.

The real difficulty is removing the screen / digitiser without damaging any of the multiple ribbon cables that are strung around the periphery of the body. These connect the switches, cameras, wifi aerial etc to the main boards and are positioned like a fiendish perimeter trap. If you poke the tool anywhere near them they demise. Despite watching the videos beforehand, I managed to liquidise several of them. The replacements are surprisingly cheap but the job easily develops legs and runs off on you.

My daughter's iPad is still working although the replacement screen I fitted is now holed in several places(!). But I won't be attempting another repair.

So yes, it is possible to do it yourself but it's like changing car tires with a couple of spades and a crowbar - been there, done that but it's far better to get someone experienced to do it properly with the right tools..

John Haine21/05/2016 10:37:28
5563 forum posts
322 photos

And, I understand, make sure your iPad is completely backed up before you start as it WILL reset the memory apparently.

Vic21/05/2016 11:01:22
3453 forum posts
23 photos

I have an iPad 3 and when the battery starts to fail I won't hesitate to buy a new one, it's been great value IMO.

The question is though, iPad Air or iPad Pro?! smiley

korby21/05/2016 11:05:52
37 forum posts
2 photos

Think I will pass on this job have fixed a lot of dodgy electronics over the years but this sounds a step too far.

Apple hope you will buy new .

Worst of all of course is washing machines have this dream of them being taken out in a nuclear strike along with the European Parliament.

Right that is enough wittering for now.

Harry Wilkes21/05/2016 11:36:09
1613 forum posts
72 photos
Posted by Muzzer on 21/05/2016 10:30:24:

I've dismantled an iPad and it's not for the feint hearted. As Michael says there are videos on Youtube but they don't really convey the full horror.

First step to remove the screen is warming it all around the edge with a hair drier. This softens the adhesive to a tacky consistency (everything is held behind the glass screen which is glued in place). Then you pry the glass away from the metal body using a guitar plectrum or a special tool of similar thickness. Clearly the glass bends a fair bit during this process and if you are hoping to reuse it, this is a risky operation.

The real difficulty is removing the screen / digitiser without damaging any of the multiple ribbon cables that are strung around the periphery of the body. These connect the switches, cameras, wifi aerial etc to the main boards and are positioned like a fiendish perimeter trap. If you poke the tool anywhere near them they demise. Despite watching the videos beforehand, I managed to liquidise several of them. The replacements are surprisingly cheap but the job easily develops legs and runs off on you.

My daughter's iPad is still working although the replacement screen I fitted is now holed in several places(!). But I won't be attempting another repair.

So yes, it is possible to do it yourself but it's like changing car tires with a couple of spades and a crowbar - been there, done that but it's far better to get someone experienced to do it properly with the right tools..

I agree with Muzzer can be done but not for the feint hearted !

Michael Gilligan21/05/2016 12:26:34
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Chris Shelton on 21/05/2016 09:51:02:

Hello,

Apple offer a battery replacement service, £75.00 plus £7.44 return postage.

All the batteries offered on the famous auction site are not genuine.

Also iPads are rather difficult to dismantle, without damaging the touch screen.

Thanks ... Yes, I knew all that, and also that Apple does it on a 'service exchange' basis [thus losing any of my data in the process].

Given that mine is limited to iOS 5.1.1 it's probably not worth that much sad

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan21/05/2016 12:37:06
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by korby on 21/05/2016 10:03:06:

You can use it hooked up to a USB pSU even with a dud batt, I have a IPAD and IPhone son gave me with tired batts

That's very interesting [the advice I was looking for], but I can't see how.

... When my battery is fully discharged [red line on the icon], and the charger connected, the the device will not even show the passcode screen. Is it now a matter of never letting it reach that condition?

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan21/05/2016 12:44:45
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Vic on 21/05/2016 11:01:22:

I have an iPad 3 and when the battery starts to fail I won't hesitate to buy a new one, it's been great value IMO.

The question is though, iPad Air or iPad Pro?! smiley

My iPad v1 has been the best value-for-money item I have ever bought, Vic, and I will gladly buy another iPad.

... I need to handle the iPad Pro before I decide, but I think it's probably too big.

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan21/05/2016 12:56:23
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 21/05/2016 11:36:09

I agree with Muzzer can be done but not for the feint hearted !

Michael/Muzzer/Harry,

Thanks ... I've seen videos and don't like the look of the job

... That's really why I posted the questions

[1] is definitely my preferred option

Assuming that it can be done; I will let this one live out its days 'tethered'

MichaelG.

Alex Collins21/05/2016 13:25:04
147 forum posts
38 photos

As others have said..
Pay Apple their money and get them to do it.

You have a Genuine Apple repair with Warrenty and genuine apple parts that won't explode or catch fire.

You can get an iPad apart but the chances of cracking the screen are very high.

There are also several wires and other bit to negociate whilst dismantling it. All very fine and fragile.

Michael Gilligan21/05/2016 13:52:30
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Thanks, Alex

I think I had already reached my conclusion.

I will be buying a new iPad and if possible using this one on external power.

MichaelG.

Martin 10021/05/2016 13:55:57
287 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/05/2016 13:52:30:

The 100% charge that results from that (Apple iirc allowing no other charge level) leads to the lowest battery life for Lithium based batteries

Michael Gilligan21/05/2016 14:08:53
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Martin 100 on 21/05/2016 13:55:57:

The 100% charge that results from that (Apple iirc allowing no other charge level) leads to the lowest battery life for Lithium based batteries

Martin,

I think we may be at cross purposes ... My fault for not being explicit:

"I will be buying a new iPad and if possible using this one on external power."

Should have read:

"I will be buying a new iPad for normal use and also, if possible, will continue to use this old one with the dud battery in the workshop, on external power.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 21/05/2016 14:09:53

Neil Wyatt21/05/2016 15:37:58
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Ah, an iPad. So last quinquennium

Neil

Michael Gilligan21/05/2016 15:57:41
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 21/05/2016 15:37:58:

Ah, an iPad. So last quinquennium

The one currently in decline is almost exactly six years old cheeky, so it's last-but-one quinquennium.

MichaelG.

Almost settled on buying the new 9.7" iPad Pro smile p

Enough!21/05/2016 19:02:33
1719 forum posts
1 photos

You might also consider buying a refurbished one from the Apple online store. I did that recently (in Canada) for an iPad Air-2 at a decent saving and frankly, I can't tell it from new. I'm toying with the idea of replacing my iPad Mini and I'd certainly go the same route.

As far as running the old one on external power, I have doubts if the battery is truly kaput. I've noticed on my iPads and iPods that if the battery gets really low (i.e. empty) I can't run it simply by plugging it in to external power. I have to wait for it to build up some battery charge first. If the battery will at least hold some charge it could work.

I have an iPod Touch that I tried fitting a new battery in. The re-assembled (but highly flakey) result is sitting in a drawer in the workshop.

There are third-parties around that claim to fit new batteries. Usually the same ones that unlock phones. Prices much better than Apple's. You might want to ask around locally if anyone has tried them.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate