Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Granite surface table for £6.99

Haste ye down to Aldi's for a bargain

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ken king, King Design14/01/2015 16:53:34
144 forum posts
239 photos

Shopping in Aldi's his afternoon and happened upon black or grey granite 'Worktop Protectors', to allow placement of hot pans on vulnerable work surfaces. There are two deals available, both priced £6.99. One (which I purchased) is a single granite slab measuring 400mm x 300mm, the other comprises two slabs, each 300mm x 200mm. The slabs are about 15mm thick so are substantial, but the most valuable aspect, from a non-culinary point of view, is that they are ground to optical flatness and so make jolly inexpensive surface tables for marking out, checking and measuring on. I checked the flatness by looking at a reflected fluorescent tube whilst tilting my slab this way and that, without detecting any ripple or distortion. I reckon that means the surface is adequate for most folks need, SO .. if you're lacking such an item in your workshop go and bag one quick; stocks are limited.

_Paul_14/01/2015 17:33:05
543 forum posts
31 photos

They are quite good but had to buy two sets as SWMBO commandeered the first lot

Paul

Harry Wilkes14/01/2015 17:47:17
1613 forum posts
72 photos

Dunelm sell them for a similar price so if you miss the Aidi offer worth checking them out.

H

Posted by ken king, King Design on 14/01/2015 16:53:34:

Shopping in Aldi's his afternoon and happened upon black or grey granite 'Worktop Protectors', to allow placement of hot pans on vulnerable work surfaces. There are two deals available, both priced £6.99. One (which I purchased) is a single granite slab measuring 400mm x 300mm, the other comprises two slabs, each 300mm x 200mm. The slabs are about 15mm thick so are substantial, but the most valuable aspect, from a non-culinary point of view, is that they are ground to optical flatness and so make jolly inexpensive surface tables for marking out, checking and measuring on. I checked the flatness by looking at a reflected fluorescent tube whilst tilting my slab this way and that, without detecting any ripple or distortion. I reckon that means the surface is adequate for most folks need, SO .. if you're lacking such an item in your workshop go and bag one quick; stocks are limited.

MM5714/01/2015 18:36:06
110 forum posts
3 photos

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=77670

paul rayner14/01/2015 18:52:59
187 forum posts
46 photos

Hi all

anyone wanting something like this will be better off going to there local granite kitchen worktop manufacturer.

there you will find a skip full of hob and sink cutouts. just ask them if you can have one. they will probably tell you to take whatever you want for free.

its all just rubbish to them and everyone knows getting rid of rubbish for businesses is expensive these days

happy hunting

Paul

Dave C14/01/2015 19:12:10
102 forum posts
37 photos

I had granite worktops fitted at christmas. Unfortunately they cracked it at the thin rail section where the sink cut out is. They are coming back to put a new piece in next week. I asked them today what would happen with the old piece and could I have it to save them the trouble of transporting it back to their workshopcheeky

Yes no problem they said. You are welcome to it.

I will now have two pieces of salvaged polished granite worktop, 1 off @ 900 long and 1off @ 600 long.

A nice decorative piece with drainage channels will also be salvageable if I can think of a use for it.

Happy days

smiley

mechman4814/01/2015 19:55:07
2947 forum posts
468 photos

Got my piece of polished Granite from kitchen worktop supplier... free gratis. thumbs up

George.

Neil Wyatt14/01/2015 20:10:40
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

My stepson is a kitchen fitter. Very cheerful today, cutting tiles all day, out in the snow being sprayed by cold water

Neil

Ian L214/01/2015 20:55:57
106 forum posts
11 photos

I could do with something flat so will have to look round for kitchen worktop. But in mean time I'm using glass shelf out of old display unit not sure how flat glass shelf's are.

mechman4815/01/2015 12:28:01
2947 forum posts
468 photos

Also have a piece of plate glass in a home built wood frame (1st surface plate ), Float glass can also be considered very flat... but unless you want to check flatness against optical flat light bands, I think for our (my )  purposes kitchen granite offcuts / float / plate glass is more than sufficient...  Hmmmm...   thinking    last time I used optical flats was when I worked for a national valve co. lapping in discs & nozzles for high pressure safety valves using diamond impregnated liquid.

George

Edited By mechman48 on 15/01/2015 12:31:27

Martin Kyte15/01/2015 14:10:22
3445 forum posts
62 photos

Optical flatness? Is the slab really within +/- 25nanometers?

Martin

jaCK Hobson15/01/2015 14:19:56
383 forum posts
101 photos

I got a granite surface plate delivered from Axminster for about £30 and, now that I have it, I use it a lot for things which the aldi granite is unlikely to be suitable for (e.g. as a reference for scraping surfaces flat).

As comparison, I have a few meters of granite worksurface in the kitchen and it is nowhere near as flat as the cheap surface plate (also, I got in trouble when I covered the flattest part in engineer's blue).

Dullnote15/01/2015 14:39:13
94 forum posts
29 photos

Just starting out in this game, using one of these, for me it is flat for my limited skills and beats using the worktop of the bench.

So I suppose it is horses for courses

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate