Aircraft General Discussion

This is where all the off topic discussion about aeroplanes should go

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Terryd13/07/2012 17:37:25
1946 forum posts
179 photos

Thanks Clive,

I'd be grateful for any information. The only places I have seen that sell it ask for a private prescription if it is to be sold to an individual customer,

best regards

Terry

Ramon Wilson13/07/2012 18:01:04
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Hi Terry - as with Clive I'm certain there is no requirement to have a licence, permit or other wise to purchase ether. Quite recently after a persistent search on ebay I did find a seller that will 'deliver to your door' Unfortunately it was so very expensive relative to a half gallon of pre mixed diesel fuel that it simply wasn't viable. 'Diesel' is very definitely - despite what you may read at times - not 'dead' . The humble (and not so humble PAW) engines are still in production to a perhaps dwindling but none the less ready market - hardly a business proposition if there's no fuel.

Up until last years Nats both major fuel suppliers were selling diesel fuel there and one of them was definitely selling neat ether by the half gallon

I would be interested to hear of your supplier too Clive though twenty litres will make an awful lot of fuel, not forgetting the requirement for some ignition improver for DIY.

Regards - Ramon

Stub Mandrel13/07/2012 20:39:37
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

Thanks Pat,

The first o of the three is the Keil Kraft Ladybird

You've earned my gratitude on this forum with your first post!

Neil

Bill Pudney14/07/2012 03:40:39
622 forum posts
24 photos

Ramon talked about ignition improver. We have been using Amsoil Cetane Booster, apparently big diesels (trucks & buses) use it. Its sold in tins of about 470ml for less than A$20. Google Amsoil Cetane Booster............

In my 2.5cc ball race diesels (PAWs, Olivers, Rothwell etc) I use 14ml in 1 litre of fuel. It's a lot cheaper than IPN at A$110 for 500ml.

cheers

Bill Pudney

Ian S C14/07/2012 11:49:53
7468 forum posts
230 photos

Would the aerosol starter fluid, used for starting stubborn diesel engines be any use, it comes in cans up to about 400 ml, and would (if the price it comparable), be about 10 to 15 UK pounds. Ian S C

Stub Mandrel14/07/2012 21:38:21
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

Bradex Easy Start?

You could get a motor with a milking stool in a bucket as piston and cylinder to run with that. I always used to keep a can in the car in the days before universal electronic ignition.

Neil

Ian S C15/07/2012 11:14:00
7468 forum posts
230 photos

The easy start is handy, but I'm told that motors often become addicted to it, and wont start without it. Its mostly (as far as I know), ether, don't know if there is anything else in it, the propelant is proberbly LPG, or similar. Ian S C

Flying Fifer16/07/2012 21:32:30
180 forum posts

Neil,

I`ve got a couple of KK Ladybird kits so if you need a copy of any of the parts I can scan & send them to you. However since I put on a post yonks ago that I was scanning MEW my "message member" facility was removed. So put an answer here & I`ll PM you

Regards P`d off Fifer

Stub Mandrel17/07/2012 20:58:53
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

Hi P'd off Fifer,

Thanks, but the plan I found includes scans of the balsa sheet parts!

Ian,

I think teh addiction is an illusion - what it means is an engine needs attention but gets Bradex instead - deterioration is masked until engine won't even start when warm without a tot of the hot stuff!

Neil

Edited By Stub Mandrel on 17/07/2012 21:00:15

Flying Fifer17/07/2012 22:57:46
180 forum posts

Hi Neil

No problem. have fun building/repairing & then flying. Outerzone is pretty good for old plans & they are a great bunch of enthusiasts. Funny they NEVER have this problem inspite of the adverts. He He.

Rant is over & ex-Fifer who has a life has returned from orbit. Life is a bit fraught at the moment as swmbo had a major op a couple of weeks ago during which she had one hell of an allergic reaction to the anesthetic & the docs are still trying to sort her out. Op was a complete success but the aftermath has kinda shortened my fuse hence my outburst last night when I settled down to a good old read & saw this post. Light blue touchpaper & bang. I dont mind the adverts at all as I never bother with them until they cover the posts.

regards Alan

Ian S C19/07/2012 14:31:31
7468 forum posts
230 photos

I mentioned the restoration of a Mk1 Anson 9/ 5/ 12, it had two test flights on the 18/ 7/ 12, beautifull aeroplane, it was showen on the TV news that day. There are some vidios on U Tube, one 30min+, and another about 15min. Ian S C

Stub Mandrel19/07/2012 21:27:13
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

Hi Alan,

Best wishes to your wife.

I have the adblock plug in for fiefox, but don't tell David. Do tell the advertisers that I do read their paper adverts in the mags!

Neil

jason udall21/07/2012 00:35:37
2032 forum posts
41 photos

A British Royal Air Force Typhoon pilot flies up to the
Back door of a C-130 (Hercules) for a photo opportunity.

a.jpg

He radios, "How much closer do you want me?"b.jpg

They radio, "How much closer can you get?"

c.jpg

Close enough?

Edited By jason udall on 21/07/2012 00:46:12

jason udall21/07/2012 18:06:04
2032 forum posts
41 photos

[sorry missed the punch line]

d.jpg

Ian S C24/09/2012 13:38:33
7468 forum posts
230 photos

24/09/12 first test flight of KA-114, ZK-MOS, the Mosquito rebuilt in NZ, it was on TV tonight, but unfortunately I had to go out, and missed it, I'll go and see it on broadband tomorrow. It will star at an airshow next weekend. Ian S C

Stub Mandrel24/09/2012 21:23:47
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

When are you Kiwis going to build a Brabazon?

Neil

John McNamara25/09/2012 01:49:08
1377 forum posts
133 photos

Hi All

This is for military aircraft buffs.
If you Google

The Sopwith swashbuckler

It will lead you to a relatively unknown first world war ace...An Australian that served in the British royal Air force. He shot down 47 planes.
Mike Rosel is a personal friend and has just published a book about it. Lamentably almost a century late.

Cheers

John

Ian S C25/09/2012 14:36:25
7468 forum posts
230 photos

Neil, you'll have to wait till next week, at the same place as the Mossie is comming from, theres another Mossie, A Kittyhawk, and a Spitfire, and a Venom. On the TV the other night, the chap who is builing the Mossies said that if he'd known the work needed, he'd have never started. I think hes over 70 now. No film of test flight, that will wait to next weekend, first public display on the 29th Sept., I think it will be acompanied by a Vampire (restored at the same place). Ian S C

Cornish Jack25/09/2012 14:44:27
1228 forum posts
172 photos

Ian S C -

My very first flight!! 26/4/54 - T/O 1900hrs, Landed 2205hrs, ANSON 'N', Pilot - Master Pilot Landsman (Czeck or Polish ex WW2), gentle aerial amble around E Anglia from Swanton Morley. Beautiful clear skies, surrounded by the clatter of a pair of 'Cheetahs' and the combined odours of leather, hydraulic oil, Avgas,yes Elsan fluid and old vomit!!!no Thought it was absolutely marvellous and continued flying and being involved with aircraft for close to 50 years! Nostalgia rules OK!

Ian S C25/09/2012 16:23:24
7468 forum posts
230 photos

A resent rebuild to take to the air here wis a Mk1 Anson. The Air Force Museum is doing a static rebuild of an Oxford. The RNZAF had Oxfords and Ansons by the hundreds war time.

Mosquito rebuild: Glyn Powell is the builder and at 78yrs is wanting to get on with his mossie

[email protected] Ian S C

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate