Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Fake Mitutoyo indicator on Ebay

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mick B125/04/2020 14:33:30
2444 forum posts
139 photos
Posted by Ron Laden on 25/04/2020 13:11:14:

Well spotted Mick, I didnt think of the Mitutoyo item code but at least its honest in it says made in China and doesnt have a look alike makers name (Mitetoyo) plus it wasnt advertised as a Mitutoyo.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 25/04/2020 13:13:25

It's even possible that the dial printing missed a process and the thing was rejected by Mitutoyo simply because it didn't have their logo on it, then sold on into whatever supply chain ultimately retailed it through the Bay.

Anybody's guess who actually made it. I know back in the 80s Baty made their own plunger dial indicators, but finger types were purchased in with the Baty logo from Girod in Switzerland. I think these days that - at very best - a brand name might sometimes just represent a set of inspection standards, and on small goods even those will only be applied to a statistical sample.

Edited By Mick B1 on 25/04/2020 14:33:59

Former Member25/04/2020 14:59:46

[This posting has been removed]

Former Member25/04/2020 15:16:15

Michael Gilligan25/04/2020 15:21:13
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Barrie Lever on 25/04/2020 14:59:46:

You Could Not Make This Up

I now have the seller saying that he will pay me £10 to take the negative feedback off of Ebay, he says his boss will sack him if the negative feedback stays !!!!

That reinforces my belief that you should report this direct to Mitutoyo, Barrie

MichaelG.

Frances IoM25/04/2020 15:36:07
1395 forum posts
30 photos
When the auctions were running I noticed quite a number of genuine empty boxes + packaging designed to hold expensive watches go for considerable money considering they were just fancy cardboard etc - the strong suspicion is that they are intended to deceive ebay buyers
SillyOldDuffer25/04/2020 16:47:35
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Barrie Lever on 25/04/2020 14:59:46:...

The whole thing is like something out of a comic book.

B.

Sure is a crazy world, almost everything is cock-eyed.

If I recall correctly Matsui TVs were so named because consumers trusted Japanese electronics more than western makes. They were made in South Wales.

A supermarket near you might be selling 'Woodside Farms' produce, or similar cosy name. There are no such farms.

Most Brands and Companies are owned by multinationals we've never heard of, often based in unlikely places like Vanuatu.

Bats aren't blind. French Letters, Welsh Rarebit, Dutch Courage and Swedes are all English. Kilts and Tartans aren't originally Scots. No Ploughman ever ate a Ploughman's Lunch. Hobnobs aren't a traditional biscuit (1985). My vacuum cleaner isn't a Hoover. Most money doesn't exist. James Watt didn't invent the Steam Engine, Alexander Graham Bell didn't invent the telephone, and Edison didn't invent the light bulb.

At the atomic scale Shrodingers Cat is simultaneously alive and dead. At astronomical scale, clocks really do slow down at high speeds.

As what we see with our own eyes is processed between 0.15 and 0.5 seconds after the reality it's a wonder anything is trusted at all!

Dave

Mick B125/04/2020 16:58:35
2444 forum posts
139 photos
Posted by Barrie Lever on 25/04/2020 15:16:15:

It is crazy to suggest that Mitutoyo would risk their reputation by having parts or assemblies made by sub standard contractors

The indicator is well made but no Mitutoyo that I can guarantee you.

B.

How much reputational risk is there? In your example, nobody tried to pass it off as Mitutoyo's product.

If the clock was made by a subbie, the omission spotted by their QA and rejected, how would anybody at Mitutoyo ever find out if the individual product or small batch was sold on informally through a supply chain that led to the Bay? They'd have to read these forums to notice the proprietary Item Code, and even then they could only suspect.

Of course, if you can distinguish its quality from a kosher Mitutoyo product, that's clear enough.

From other threads, I think we know clearly enough the Moore and Wright tools on sale now ain't crafted by nobody in Sheffield.

Edited By Mick B1 on 25/04/2020 17:01:58

Bill Phinn25/04/2020 17:27:12
1076 forum posts
129 photos

Is there any Chinese address given on the outer packaging, Barrie, or any indication of an address in emails/Ebay messages you've received?

I'd be interested to know whether the seller is Hong Kong-based or on the mainland. The quality of his English suggests the first.

jimmy b25/04/2020 17:32:43
857 forum posts
45 photos

Is it really worth the hassle?

Mitutoyo will not be interested, most companies just can not spare the manpower to chase these knockoffs.

Jim

Clive Brown 125/04/2020 17:58:02
1050 forum posts
56 photos

I believe that Moore & Wright started their micrometer manufacturing business with copies, (knock-offs!!) of a Swiss design.smiley

Mick B125/04/2020 18:58:29
2444 forum posts
139 photos

Barrie,

I think we've been at cross purposes. At 14:33 I was commenting on Ron's unnamed dial gauge, not the deliberate fake you have. It was Ron's gauge that I thought might have been rejected for despatch to Mitutoyo and sold on by an unknown subbie.

I wish I'd kept the 1960s Indonesian whiskey bottle that carried the label 'Made In Scottland'... wink

Former Member25/04/2020 19:46:50

Neil Wyatt25/04/2020 20:25:08
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Barrie Lever on 25/04/2020 14:59:46:

Hi, my friend:
I'm really sorry for my mistake to make you unhappy.
I'm working on ebay platform as a newbie, graduated this year. My boss has punished me. I have made several telephone calls to you to apologize but receive no responses. I'm willing to make further compensation no more than 10 pounds for keeping my job. Please do me a favor to help, otherwise my boss will fire me.
Thank you for your understanding.
Kind Regards

PS: Anytime you visit to my store, you will be regarded as VIP

I think he might tell me the fishy workings of these Chinese Ebay traders before this has run it's course.

The whole thing is like something out of a comic book.

B.

Edited By Barrie Lever on 25/04/2020 15:01:31

I wouldn't let it worry your conscience, he'll probably end up telling you his boss has his grandmother and pet cat suspended over an alligator pool in a cage until you remove the feedback.

They will try anything to get bad feedback removed.

Neil

Enough!25/04/2020 22:54:37
1719 forum posts
1 photos

I'd thought that eBay had changed the rules on feedback a while ago to the effect that feedback couldn't be subsequently changed.

Not true?

Hopper26/04/2020 00:17:28
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by Mick B1 on 25/04/2020 14:33:30:

It's even possible that the dial printing missed a process and the thing was rejected by Mitutoyo simply because it didn't have their logo on it, then sold on into whatever supply chain ultimately retailed it through the Bay.

These cheapo knock-offs have a whole different mechanism from the genuine Mitutoyos so no way they can be rejects from the real factory, or even made by an authorised subbie for Mitutoyo.

Giveaways include the finger pivot on a Mitutoyo is a tiny ball bearing while on the knock-offs its an adjustable pair of taper points with a threaded lock ring. Visible at a glance . On closer inspection, the Mitutoyo dovetails on the body for mounting clamp to grip on are machined. On the knock-offs they are poorly die cast. There is a difference on the bezel too, I forget exactly what but believe it was the knurling when I checked out mine against the real thing some years ago.

Edited By Hopper on 26/04/2020 00:20:59

Edited By Hopper on 26/04/2020 00:21:34

jimmy b26/04/2020 03:10:19
857 forum posts
45 photos
Posted by Hopper on 26/04/2020 00:17:28:
Posted by Mick B1 on 25/04/2020 14:33:30:

These cheapo knock-offs have a whole different mechanism from the genuine Mitutoyos so no way they can be rejects from the real factory, or even made by an authorised subbie for Mitutoyo.

Giveaways include the finger pivot on a Mitutoyo is a tiny ball bearing while on the knock-offs its an adjustable pair of taper points with a threaded lock ring. Visible at a glance . On closer inspection, the Mitutoyo dovetails on the body for mounting clamp to grip on are machined. On the knock-offs they are poorly die cast. There is a difference on the bezel too, I forget exactly what but believe it was the knurling when I checked out mine against the real thing some years ago.

Edited By Hopper on 26/04/2020 00:20:59

Edited By Hopper on 26/04/2020 00:21:34

Well observed Hopper. The bezel on the "knockoffs" is nothing like any genuine Mitutoyo! (I have a couple of real Mitutoyo's). Also, the box, instructions, test cert and mounting lugs are all different in the cheapies.

Jim

Grindstone Cowboy26/04/2020 09:03:58
1160 forum posts
73 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 25/04/2020 22:54:37:

I'd thought that eBay had changed the rules on feedback a while ago to the effect that feedback couldn't be subsequently changed.

Not true?

From what I can see, you can add further comments to your feedback or you can change neutral or negative feedback subject to a Feedback Revision Request from the seller (which you can ask them for), but you cannot change Positive Feedback once given.

jimmy b26/04/2020 10:46:16
857 forum posts
45 photos

Feedback can be reversed. I will leave a negative if I get no joy with a complaint, usually they will give a refund if you agree to change the feedback.

Jim

mgnbuk26/04/2020 11:34:53
1394 forum posts
103 photos

Matsui TVs were so named because consumers trusted Japanese electronics more than western makes. They were made in South Wales.

So were genuine Sonys - big factory in Bridgend. Previous employer rebuilt a manual Ajax horizontal milling machine as CNC to machine the curved frame that held the grid at the front of CRTs.

Nigel B.

Michael Gilligan27/04/2020 12:44:22
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

On the subject of ebay fakery:

**LINK**

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Lathe-read-description/153887637891

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate