Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

I need custard.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Pearson 115/08/2023 22:09:47
189 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Clive Hartland on 14/08/2023 13:34:42:

I can remeber at some time in the South of London an explosion in a custard factory where dust blown through ducting exploded. You can see the place as you leave London on the southern line.

I witnessed that in (IIRC) Richmond, Yorks 30-odd years ago. My first thought was that a gas cylinder had gone up in the hardware store, but it was the baker next door. The clue was the loaves strewn amongst the glass splinters in t'middle of the road.

Or was it Ripon: my brain is fading.

Edited By Chris Pearson 1 on 15/08/2023 22:10:21

Edited By Chris Pearson 1 on 15/08/2023 22:10:39

Edited By Chris Pearson 1 on 15/08/2023 22:11:53

Nealeb16/08/2023 08:48:36
231 forum posts

I seem to remember a children's programme on television years back where they demonstrated this powder-based explosion problem by blowing a puff of ordinary cooking flour into a transparent vessel continuing a lit candle. Very much a "don't try this at home" experiment - wonder if that sort of thing would be allowed on television these days?

SillyOldDuffer16/08/2023 09:44:58
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Nealeb on 16/08/2023 08:48:36:

I seem to remember a children's programme on television years back where they demonstrated this powder-based explosion problem by blowing a puff of ordinary cooking flour into a transparent vessel continuing a lit candle. Very much a "don't try this at home" experiment - wonder if that sort of thing would be allowed on television these days?

Certainly is. Stephen Fry did the powder explosion on QI. Moving up the scale, Tony Robinson did a series demonstrating the effects of replica WW2 German Bombs on typical British homes. From memory his smallest explosion was 50kg of an un-named High Explosive, distinctly more violent than custard powder! Mythbusters (made in the US where they have more empty space for big bangs), filmed many explosion based myths and realities. Gas igniting inside a Portaloo (don't smoke), up to a cement truck filled with quarry blasting explosive.

Modern TV is increasingly coy about the exact 'how to' details. No desire to make it easy for those who want to cause explosions in crowded public places. All countries have large 'Sh1t for Brains' communities!

Dave

Dave

david homer16/08/2023 10:13:10
43 forum posts

I worked for 30 years at General Foods (Birds Custard and Maxwell House Coffee) in Banbury where we had a dust explosion in the Desserts area 1981 involving one of the Custard plants. I was just coming onto night shift at 9:45 pm and was just in the locker room getting changed when the explosion occurred, the fire alarm was sounding and as maintenance staff we were part of the Fire Team and started off towards the area being announced over the Tannoy system, walking through a fog of cornstarch dust..

For anyone interested the link below is for the Factory inspectors report.

https://archive.org/details/op1275789-1001

David

david homer16/08/2023 10:32:00
43 forum posts

The Explosion Demonstration for new starters at General Foods consisting of a 10" od Steel tube, open top solid bottom, an airline connection towards the bottom, a spark plug at the bottom, connected to an HT transformer with a push button. 1teaspoon of custard powder was placed was in the bottom, a paper diaphragm held over the top with a Jubilee clip. The routine was a short shot of air to get custard powder airborne and then a push of the button for the ignition source and you end up with a small bang and a burst diaphragm.

David

Ramon Wilson16/08/2023 10:32:28
1655 forum posts
617 photos
Posted by david homer on 16/08/2023 10:13:10:

I worked for 30 years at General Foods (Birds Custard and Maxwell House Coffee) in Banbury where we had a dust explosion in the Desserts area 1981 involving one of the Custard plants. I was just coming onto night shift at 9:45 pm and was just in the locker room getting changed when the explosion occurred, the fire alarm was sounding and as maintenance staff we were part of the Fire Team and started off towards the area being announced over the Tannoy system, walking through a fog of cornstarch dust..

For anyone interested the link below is for the Factory inspectors report.

https://archive.org/details/op1275789-1001

David

Well, there you have it Lee, (see the OP) official confirmation from an inside source wink All you have to do now is find a retail outlet for one.

FWIW I had a decent bowl of the Bird's instant stuff last night poured over some blackberries - lovely smiley

Best - Tug

Howard Lewis17/08/2023 01:58:59
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Custard powder, sawdust, and coal dust are all hydrocarbons, so if mixed with oxygen, in the air, or elsewhere, can be combustible. amd so explosive..

In America at least one railroad company experimented with coal dust as a suitable substitute for coal in a specially built steam loco.

There have also been esxperiemnts to inject coal dust as a fuel ,for compression ignition engines. (The problem was that the coal dust slurry, being abrasive, shortened the life of the pump and injector components. )

My future in laws lived in a flat, and the old ladies below would carry coal, up the stairs, dropping coal dust as they went.

Terrified me, fearing, at least, a fire, if not an explosion, as we all crunched our way upstairs!

Thankfully, F i L retired and they moved out!

Even wire wool will burn!

Howard

James Alford17/08/2023 08:12:57
501 forum posts
88 photos

I recall a documentary about the fire of London and speculation that it exacerbated by an explosion of flour dust in the Pudding Lane bakery, not just a fire.

James

Mick B117/08/2023 09:57:23
2444 forum posts
139 photos

Try Wikipedia with 'thermobaric weapon'. It's clear that this subject has been well understood by weapons engineers for a long while. Some have suggested it was a coaldust explosion, subsequent to the torpedo, that sank the Lusitania so disastrously in 1915.

I don't think custard powder is a preferred fuel.

Mike Poole17/08/2023 10:00:34
3676 forum posts
82 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 17/08/2023 01:58:59:

Even wire wool will burn!

Howard

When my parents were having central heating installed the plumber had a Ford Thames van, he kept a large pack of wire wool behind the drivers seat but unfortunately the Thames battery is also located there, inevitably the wire wool met the battery and there was lots of smoke and glowing wire wool. For a young lad it was quite exciting but I think the Norman the plumber was less impressed.

Mike

DMB17/08/2023 11:29:07
1585 forum posts
1 photos

So that's the solution to constipation - a custard powder blast! Problem would be placement in the right area.

I'll leave now, ha, ha.

roy entwistle17/08/2023 12:49:01
1716 forum posts

I prefer carnation condensed milk.

( I'll hide now )

Roy

File Handle17/08/2023 14:07:02
250 forum posts

When I was a science teacher, I would regularly use any excuse to explode flour. A good way to demonstrate that food provides energy. There was a knack to getting it to work well. Would blow the lid of a large tin can.

mark costello 117/08/2023 21:16:47
800 forum posts
16 photos

I cannot understand how rock dust explodes, but it must. Starting fluid detonates also. Here's how I know. Taken about 1 minute after the event. Whipped the starter cord violently back and hit My hand in the process.img_20220528_232537_mp.jpg

Mark Rand17/08/2023 23:02:04
1505 forum posts
56 photos

Ether, if used in the starting fluid, will ignite with a 6:1 compression ratio without aid of a spark. So if you're using it with a higher compression engine, it can easily pre-ignite

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate