By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for david homer

Here is a list of all the postings david homer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: I need custard.
16/08/2023 10:32:00

The Explosion Demonstration for new starters at General Foods consisting of a 10" od Steel tube, open top solid bottom, an airline connection towards the bottom, a spark plug at the bottom, connected to an HT transformer with a push button. 1teaspoon of custard powder was placed was in the bottom, a paper diaphragm held over the top with a Jubilee clip. The routine was a short shot of air to get custard powder airborne and then a push of the button for the ignition source and you end up with a small bang and a burst diaphragm.

David

16/08/2023 10:13:10

I worked for 30 years at General Foods (Birds Custard and Maxwell House Coffee) in Banbury where we had a dust explosion in the Desserts area 1981 involving one of the Custard plants. I was just coming onto night shift at 9:45 pm and was just in the locker room getting changed when the explosion occurred, the fire alarm was sounding and as maintenance staff we were part of the Fire Team and started off towards the area being announced over the Tannoy system, walking through a fog of cornstarch dust..

For anyone interested the link below is for the Factory inspectors report.

https://archive.org/details/op1275789-1001

David

Thread: Copper tube
13/07/2023 08:12:34

Thank you Jason for the correction.

David

12/07/2023 22:39:12

Try M-Metals they list 5"od x 10gauge C106 £8.75 an inch +VAT + Carriage

David

Thread: Metric die
25/04/2023 20:46:51

Tracy tools tools do them I believe

David

Thread: Chester Super Lux advice
15/11/2022 12:39:39

have you seen the videos on you tube by Stefan Gotteswinter about tramming his mill and using epoxy under the vertical column

David

Thread: What to do with a sticky (as in toffee) portable radio
30/09/2022 11:40:37

Try french calk or talc if you would like it to smell nice, just sprinkle some on and spread it out, it gets rid of the tackiness, worked on mine.

David

Thread: Chattering when cutting with countersink tool on lathe
11/07/2022 11:43:20

I was taught as an apprentice that when you get chatter drilling or countersinking to put a small square of emery cloth under the drill/countersink point and pull down hard, breaks through emery cloth and starts cutting properly.

David

Thread: What to do with a sticky (as in toffee) portable radio
25/12/2021 10:32:39

I had a radio the same, rubber going a little sticky, I rubbed some talc over the sticky bits, cured the stickiness and also smelled nice.

David

Thread: The great workshop bake-off (paint that is)
24/12/2021 17:46:22

if you look at this link it gives some information about painting with Phoenix Paints and temperature, of course it may not apply to other makes, I have been doing some with both a brush and an airbrush in an unheated garage with no problems. Parts were placed in garage before hand and paint taken out at time of application.

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/application-of-precision-paints-and-temperature

David

23/12/2021 18:44:05

I should add that it does not need baking to cure it and it is recommended that you paint below 10 degrees C

David

23/12/2021 18:36:33

Phoenix Precision Paints do a Higher temp paint in their range of Cherry Paints maybe be a little more expensive, haven't used my tin yet but have used their normal temp black and it gives a good finish. They recommended it for a loco smoke box.

David

Thread: Flux
04/12/2021 10:21:41

Looking at their website it looks like they sell EF Flux paste 250g and 500g exactly the same price as powder. Their mix of 455 silver solder and flux is in a syringe.

David

Thread: Availability of a T33 & T34 Myford Change Gears?
09/06/2021 23:33:54

HPC gears are good source of spur gears, not cheap though. I think Myford gears are 20dp or used to be on earlier lathes.You will have to modify the bore to suit your needs they do 33 and 34 tooth.

David

Thread: Danfoss Pressure Switch
16/04/2021 12:43:42

The threads on those Pressure Switches i would expect to be 7/16" SAE which was a standard thread for refrigeration 1/4" copper flare

David

Thread: Diamond Drills
24/10/2020 10:52:49

After seeing this post I caught sight of this add on you tube, not sure if these are any use but are made for the application you need, hope the link works

.georgeshop.co.uk/products/mintiml™-screw-extractor4-pcs?variant=32927540707363&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr5zLofnM7AIVyt3VCh2w0ggiEAEYASAAEgKIw_D_BwE

David

Thread: Copper tube for boiler
17/10/2020 13:00:48

You could try Noggin end metals, they are listing 4" 10swg approx 3.25mm (i think) but limited stock. Also look at M-Metals both do C106

David

Thread: White rock salt
01/10/2020 11:40:48

Hi, I have used the moisture absorption trays/traps and crystals available from Wilkos, Robert Dyas etc and they work very well in my workshop which is electrically heated so no moisture from that. The moisture in a well sealed shop is from your breathe blow lamps and carrying in water on a wet day surprising how much moisture they collect. We also used to put them in a narrowboat we had over the winter but they did not collect much which I think was due to the boat being colder.

David

Thread: Aging rubber and plastic
19/04/2020 09:59:33

Had a similar problem with a small DAB radio where a proportion of the case had rubber on it which went very sticky, if I had some french chalk I would have rubbed that on it, all I had was talc, solved the problem and smelt quite nice too that was about 9 months ago and still ok.

David

Thread: Larger ball check valve lift
03/03/2019 09:58:25

Some information here may help

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Design,_Care_and_Feeding_of_Check_Valves

David

Edited By david homer on 03/03/2019 10:10:53

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate