Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Left handed lathe.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Swarf, Mostly!09/02/2023 17:14:14
753 forum posts
80 photos

I'd be interested to hear (read ) how this right or left handedness thing affects how folks use a shovel. Which hand do you use to grip the shovel handle to push the shovel into the sand/gravel/soil/coal and which to grip the shaft close to the loaded scoop to lift the weight?

I've called it a 'scoop', what's the proper term for the 'business end' of a shovel?

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

ega09/02/2023 17:19:44
2805 forum posts
219 photos

I would guess the "blade".

Oldiron09/02/2023 17:25:53
1193 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by IanH on 01/02/2020 14:21:03:but on closer inspection I realised that in the photo he is wearing his watch on the wrong wrist,

Ian

I wear my watch on my right wrist so do a couple of other people I know. Never though it to strange or different.

BTW I have what I believe to be a genuine left handed metal lathe. Cast iron body very heavy about 24" x 10 x 15" as I recall but not seen it for a few years so could be a bit bigger/smaller. No motor or means of fitting as it stands at the minute

Made by New ULM Manufacturing Minnesota USA. Can find no references anywhere to it. Have tried contacting what I believe to be the successor company but no answer to my query to this date.

Might be tempted to part with it as it is just anothe project to do sometime. It is buried in the garage somewhere so needs digging out.

regards

john halfpenny09/02/2023 17:41:57
314 forum posts
28 photos

I remember a science experiment of many years ago where subjects wore glasses which showed an image upside down and reversed side to side. The participants all adapted quite quickly, showing that the brain can cope. At the beginning, extreme precautions were taken to prevent accidents.

bernard towers09/02/2023 17:51:02
1221 forum posts
161 photos

As a left pug you soon learn to adapt and in certain circumstances it's easier for lefty's to do certain jobs as I found out in my earlier years at work. As to the question I would have the handle n the left hand and the blade in the right., fly rod in the left etc.

martin perman09/02/2023 17:59:31
2095 forum posts
75 photos

Evening Gentlemen,

I'm left handed and was never forced to write right handed, my right hand is only there to balance the symmetry smiley

I use my left hand for everything but I do struggle a bit with standard micrometers and vernier calliper's when measuring work in the chuck, as regards the shovel I hold the handle in my left hand and the blade end with my right.

I've always assumed that left handers are more intelligent because we have to adapt and relearn to keep up with the rest of you smiley

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 09/02/2023 18:22:46

Tim Stevens09/02/2023 18:04:35
1779 forum posts
1 photos

Isn't it odd that lefthandedness led to insulting adjectives, and ability to use either hand, a compliment?

Do I need to explain? Well, even-handed folk are regarded as fair and reasonable, and left-handed iones can be sinister, cack-handed, gauche, etc. Other adjectives are available.

Cheers, Tim

Tim Stevens09/02/2023 18:07:06
1779 forum posts
1 photos

Martin - your argument is similar to the one that reminds us that English folk are always a bit clever because they have to cope with such a silly language. I'm English so I am sure it is correct ...

Tim

Edited By Tim Stevens on 09/02/2023 18:08:37

martin perman09/02/2023 18:23:41
2095 forum posts
75 photos

Is that better, it was meant as tongue in cheek.

Martin P

roy entwistle09/02/2023 18:57:06
1716 forum posts

I'm surprised at the number of left handers in the medical profession

Roy

Mike Hurley09/02/2023 19:34:11
530 forum posts
89 photos
Posted by roy entwistle on 09/02/2023 18:57:06:

I'm surprised at the number of left handers in the medical profession

Roy

Is that a known fact showing up in some research data somewhere or simply your experience? I'm genuinely interested to know.

Regards Mike

Howard Lewis09/02/2023 19:52:44
7227 forum posts
21 photos

At Southdown reconditioning sthe longer prop shafts need a lathe l.,onger than we had.

Th solution was to nuy two identical lathes and mount them back to back. In this way there ws a headstock at each end, and the availability of a tailstock of either hand.

But only the "conventional Saddle was used!

Howard

roy entwistle09/02/2023 20:07:28
1716 forum posts

Mike. Purely what I've noticed both in hospital and at my local medical centre.

Roy

duncan webster09/02/2023 20:29:22
5307 forum posts
83 photos

I'm sure I've seen a photo of a massive centre lathe which had a headstock at each end, two tailstock in the middle and two saddles. The idea was that when you had a really long job you could lift the taislocks off with a big crane, but most of the time you could use it as 2 lathes. I can't remember whether it was handed, or hod the saddles facing opposite directions.

samuel heywood09/02/2023 21:46:56
125 forum posts
14 photos
Posted by Dave Halford on 01/02/2020 12:04:20:
Posted by not done it yet on 01/02/2020 11:56:00:

I doubt if many pairs of scissors were left handed until fairly recently?

Had a pair of those in the 70's, hard to use for a 'righty'.

I'm a southpaw, but had to learn to use right handed ones as that's all you got at school~ But they were available to buy way back when.

Now got some L/H ones for those awkward wallpapering momments.wink

oilcan10/02/2023 09:55:06
34 forum posts

one advantage of being a lefty - I use a file a lot to break sharp corners when turning. with the handle in the left hand and the tip in the right you are not reaching over the chuck which you would have to do if you are a righty. did once try filing in the vice right handed, but it just feels all wrong.

vic newey10/02/2023 10:17:29
347 forum posts
173 photos

I used to get into trouble at school for smudging my work as left handers are not leading the pen away from the writing in quite the same way as a right hander as we tend to push the pen rather than pull it.

It was made worse for me was in the 1950's we had wooden pens with a nib and an ink pot which was slow drying, a kindly teacher gave me a piece of blotting paper which helped me a lot. It's odd how Persian and Arabic scripts go from right to left which would cause similar problems I would have thought.

KWIL10/02/2023 10:34:58
3681 forum posts
70 photos

I write right handed, I can use a screwdriver in both, I shoot (shot gun) left handed, but that is because I have a dominant left eye!

Graham Meek10/02/2023 10:54:07
714 forum posts
414 photos

Up until the death of my father 30 years ago I was predominately right handed. After his death I found myself picking up and using tools in my left hand, until I realized. My GP said the change was due to shock. I now use which ever hand is easier to do the job. Writing still remains on the right side only. Trying with the left looks like my GP's writing.

Regards

Gray,

ega10/02/2023 11:26:41
2805 forum posts
219 photos

An acquaintance had a deformed left hand and was unable to apply the handbrake in most cars; their choice with right hand brake, IIRC, was from the Rootes group.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate