By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for oilcan

Here is a list of all the postings oilcan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Left handed lathe.
10/02/2023 09:55:06

one advantage of being a lefty - I use a file a lot to break sharp corners when turning. with the handle in the left hand and the tip in the right you are not reaching over the chuck which you would have to do if you are a righty. did once try filing in the vice right handed, but it just feels all wrong.

Thread: DIY DNA....!
07/01/2023 08:47:48

very ingenious! i would never of thought of that in a month of Sundays!

Thread: Just How Expensive Is a Card & Stamp?
03/01/2023 15:50:49

I believe Christmas cards were originally invented to avoid having to write the same seasonal letter to people who you didn't see throughout the year. Now they are handed out to people you see on a daily basis. I am always bemuse when visiting friends to see such cards as 'to my dearest wife...' or 'to my darling husband...' You live in the same house why do you need to exchange cards!!! just wish each other a Merry Christmas and be done with it. 'Bah Humbug' moment over, Scrooge will now retire to his shed...

Thread: Workshop Drawing Book
30/08/2022 09:55:31

Another useful book that might be worth tracking down is 'A Manual of Machine Drawing and Design' by Low & Bevis. Perhaps not as good as MacGibbon's as it appears to be smaller in format, but it does contain fully dimensioned drawings of the components for a triple expansion engine HP 8", MP 13" & LP 21", with Bremme valve gear. The edition I have is 1906 but I doubt if it changed over the years. In the Model Engineer No. 3660 3rd. July 1981 there is a cutaway perspective drawing of the engine. It was done as a drawing exercise, in, I assume, the old fashioned way. it would make an interesting 3D CAD modelling exercise, but one that would definitely cause my brain to overheat!

Thread: What is the finest model engineering you've seen?
19/08/2022 14:36:21

One deserving of a mention is the 1/30 scale horizontal Corliss engine of Jerry Kieffer of the US. Deceptively simple looking, until you realise that everything is scale, including the 1/4 diameter bolts on the original. How you go about making taps and dies to produce a 0.009" diameter functional bolt I have no idea!

Clem Tomlinson's Deltic Engine deserves a mention. i would love to see it close up.

Plus one for the engines of Commander Barker. I always made a point of visiting the Merseyside Maritime Museum to view them, but I believe they are no longer on display. Even more impressive when you realise they were made with treadle operated machinery.

Thread: A Mystery Stephenson Bridge
29/07/2022 21:04:58
Posted by Martin Kyte on 23/06/2022 18:49:39:

You do get some odd things with civil engineering projects. If I've got this right Brunel designed a bridge for Clifton across the Avon. He won the competition however the bridge was built after his death. It's always attributed to IKB which is OK when talking about the concept however the final bridge is a lot different than the one he originally drew and the engineering would have been executed by others.

regards Martin

i know this isn't strictly related to the main topic and a bit late but for those interested in the Clifton suspension bridge there is a very good lecture on YouTube by Julia Elton titled 'who designed the Clifton suspension bridge: facts and fiction'

Thread: Milling machine clamps
19/11/2021 10:26:05

perhaps not the answer you want, but if you can wait until the shows restart, you should be able to buy individual pieces from one of the traders. I've bought some small step blocks and strap clamps (6mm) individually that way. Unfortunately no idea which of the traders it was. I just look at the goodys on display and hand over the cash!

Thread: Clinging to the Past
20/08/2021 18:54:08

isn't the number system in the french language base 20? I wonder if counting sheep is the reason. I believe in England medieval shepherds would have said 'a pimp plus a dick made a bumfit' - no sniggering at the back, it just means 5 + 10 = 15. they had different names for numbers between 1 and 20.

Thread: Keeping fit and the economy
19/08/2021 15:59:39

well, the post made me smile.
I remember reading an article many years ago - in a cycling magazine of all places - were the author questioned the wisdom of the car hating lobby as to what would replace all the lost tax revenue as well as the millions of jobs connected to the car trade, if the car was abolished.
but I am afraid the pedant in me has to point out that if a cyclist is paying tax in any form then he is actually paying for the upkeep of the road system.

Thread: Taking a pair of wire cutters to a standard baseball cap
04/08/2020 09:19:41

funnily enough, when I wear my peaked cycling cap, I always think it makes me 5% smarter.......although I always have the feeling most car drivers think the opposite!

Thread: Workshop Gloves
30/05/2020 12:34:55

I've always worn nitrile gloves when in the 'cave.' For no other reason than the pleasure of taking them off last thing and having a clean pair of hands. No more getting shouted at for leaving oily fingerprints on the door handle when I re-enter the house. Occasionally on the milling machine, I will double glove with a pair of those tight fitting rubber faced gloves. Stops any swarf penetrating, and it doesn't matter if they get oily because of the nitrile gloves. The nitrile gloves really are that thin they will tear very easily. For polishing with emery on the lathe, I have a selection of different cross sections of dowel with various grades of wet and dry glued to them, and use them as you would a file on the lathe. Being left handed, their use is quite natural.

since I've run out of gloves, and haven't replaced them yet, I can't help notice just how much of a dirt magnet my hands are!

Thread: Drawing Copyright - if any?
07/12/2018 09:45:19

The first post on the site, 'Clarification request please', explains the 25 year rule that John Haine refers to. It's more complicated than you think.

Peter

07/12/2018 09:36:47

You could try asking the question on the website copyrightaid.co.uk.

Peter

Thread: Beer and Grapefruit
24/09/2018 08:52:24

Been going to the Lakes for over 40 years. The fells might be feeling steeper, but fortunately I can still manage a good few pints of Sneck Lifter. I suppose when the day comes, I can always drop down to Jennings Bitter. I think that would qualify as one of Rod's great tasting 3.5 percenters

Thread: Wind turbines get bigger and bigger
03/04/2018 09:41:58

I wonder what type of gear box it will use? Didn't some Scottish engineers design an hydraulic system that can effectively increase the output by 50% over a standard one some time ago?

Still prefer nuclear power to wind tho. More compact and reliable.

Thread: Waterless Hand Cleaners for Shop Grubby Paws
25/02/2017 12:04:34

or you could try the alternative route of wearing gloves. I like the nitrile disposable ones . I usually get a couple of days use out of a pair before they rip. Some talcum powder on the hands usually helps when refitting them. You can pick up a box from one of the stalls at the shows.

Don't get the cheaper latex type. I find they wrap themselves round the lathe handles in use!

Thread: Best Dremel type machine?
26/01/2017 19:16:35

Hi Simon,

I've only ever used a Proxxon (mains voltage model). Can't fault it. the reason I chose the Proxxon over the Dremel was the Proxxon had a machined collar whereas the Dremel hasn't. the machined collar makes it easier to design holders for it. think tool post holders etc.

Peter

Thread: Cleaning hands.
05/07/2013 14:13:46

I always try to wear nitrile disposable gloves in the workshop. Not perfect, they do tear, but with the use of talcum powder to put them on I can get a few uses out of one pair. If you do go this route, don't try to save money by getting latex ones. The first time you turn the cross slide handle they'll just wind themselves around it.

Thread: Non de plumes
14/10/2012 10:44:58

Quote from Andy B

noms de plume (hell I'm English - Pen Names!)

only slightly drifting off topic, but isn't 'noms de plume' a purely english expression anyway?

the French actualy don't use it.? I'm sure there is some posh linguistic word describing the invention of an expression by one language using words from another but can't recall it.

peter

Thread: N.P.L. Guidance Documents
27/08/2012 12:04:31

I found the site quite interesting. Piqued my interest enough that i'll probably buy one of the books from the further reading list. Thank you for posting the link.

peter

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate