704 forum posts
131 photos
Posted by John Stevenson on 16/09/2016 13:51:12:
Hold a piece of floor down until a better machine comes along

Not that old chestnut again John...

thaiguzzi21/09/2016 05:11:54
704 forum posts
131 photos

# I have a '79 S200 Boxford (late metric version of the 8". Use it all the time. Only 2 regrets,

1. I prefer imperial dials but on a shaper it's no biggie.

2. Wish i'd got a bigger one. Something like an Elliot or Alba 10".

# Finish with a shear tool is something to marvel at. Even a great fly cut finish on a mill does not come close.

# Important thing with any shaper is making sure it has a table front support. Some of the very early models inc Atlas and Alba, did not have this detail, and without it, you can't really take proper cuts, as the box table will deflect under load.

# Some pics in one of my albums of my shaper working.

IanT21/09/2016 09:28:21
2147 forum posts
222 photos

Another happy Shaper user here too!

My Atlas 7B gets used mostly for cleaning up and sizing scrap block before further operations. Like the power saw, it's one of the few machines I can leave to run on it's own for this kind of work and I can normally hear when it finishes the cut. I don't wander too far away but I can be doing something else in parallel - so speed isn't an issue. It will cut stuff that I wouldn't take anywhere near my milling kit and still give a good surface. With care I can produce a mirror like surface that I cannot achieve with anything else.

My little hand shaper (Adept No2) gets used quite a lot for smaller work, where the manual operation isn't a problem and the results are better than I can do by hand (& eye) alone using a file or saw. Same way I can't file round (I use a lathe) - I can't file flat or saw (really) straight either. Eye sights not that good but once set-up I know the Adept will run true. So I think of it as my 'linear' lathe.

That's it - once again - as we have this pop up every six month or so - and I'm still keeping mine!

Regards,

IanT

its-smee21/09/2016 09:46:21
42 forum posts
17 photos

me001.jpgme002.jpgme005.jpgme004.jpgme003.jpg

Some time back I found a shaper on a well known website reasonably priced and I had to collect it from a shed in the Forest of Dean. It had been stored for a long time. Once all the rust and debri had been removed I cleaned it up and gave it a paint job. Light Grey was all I had at the time. the only thing lacking is a good solid metal table to hold it down. It also came with the original instruction book and spare parts manual. with a little research it turned out to be built around 1941 and still as good today as when it was built

its-smee21/09/2016 09:50:28
42 forum posts
17 photos

shaper018.jpgshaper014.jpgshaper012.jpgshaper010.jpg

spare parts list but i doubt if they are available now

IanT21/09/2016 10:07:33
2147 forum posts
222 photos

Very nice its-smee. Mine is an Acorntools (UK) version too - almost exactly the same as an Atlas 7B (which is why I call it that) but there are differences - the ram casting for instance. Atlas spares are sold/swopped in the States still but small parts can be simply made. I'm afraid mine isn't quite so pretty.....

A few photos being worth many words - I will add these ones of my Adept No 2 cutting (modifying) laser-cut G3 wagon axle guards. There were a few to do and sawing by hand and probably cleaning up with a file after would not have been as quick or as neat in my view (although I'm sure others may disagree...) A thin, sharp parting tool and three four stokes later and all done.

Adept Shaper 2 Adept Shaper 3

IanT21/09/2016 10:07:33
2147 forum posts
222 photos

Very nice its-smee. Mine is an Acorntools (UK) version too - almost exactly the same as an Atlas 7B (which is why I call it that) but there are differences - the ram casting for instance. Atlas spares are sold/swopped in the States still but small parts can be simply made. I'm afraid mine isn't quite so pretty.....

A few photos being worth many words - I will add these ones of my Adept No 2 cutting (modifying) laser-cut G3 wagon axle guards. There were a few to do and sawing by hand and probably cleaning up with a file after would not have been as quick or as neat in my view (although I'm sure others may disagree...) A thin, sharp parting tool and three four stokes later and all done.

IanT21/09/2016 10:07:34
2147 forum posts
222 photos

IanT21/09/2016 10:12:22
2147 forum posts
222 photos

Sorry - multiple post - don't know how that happened.. ?

IanT

Mike Bondarczuk21/09/2016 11:47:55
91 forum posts
6 photos

Hi all,

Just found this thread and find it fascinating and great to see that shapers are still in use in some home workshops.

I have an imperial 8" Boxford which produces a superb flat surface which I generate as a base for my stationary engines.

Don't have any pics on my profile yet of it bit will post some very soon.

Mike

Nobby21/09/2016 12:55:27
587 forum posts
113 photos

I sometime uses my Drummond hand shaper for surface grinding
Nobbydrummond shaper

Mike E.21/09/2016 18:08:47
217 forum posts
24 photos
Posted by Nobby on 21/09/2016 12:55:27:

I sometime uses my Drummond hand shaper for surface grinding
Nobbydrummond shaper

Surface grinding on a shaper? That's an interesting idea, but would have to be approached cautiously under power. Food for thought, as I have a small tool post grinder.

Can't add much to what's already been mentioned, but it's nice to see that a lot of old machines are being restored and used. Shapers really are not obsolete, as they can still do jobs that the machines which superseded them can, and with simple and less expensive cutters.

I have an Ammco 7" shaper of World War 2 vintage, and although it doesn't get a lot of use, its one of my favourite tools, doesn't take up a lot of room, and considered a lifetime keeper. Last year it made a long voyage with other selected tools across the big pond, and is in storage until my new 350 sq. ft. garage / workshop is built.

Sorry about the picture quality, but at the moment I only have a couple of old photos of the shaper in the Album I started; one where it can be seen at the back of my old garage, and the other which I took for an inventory purpose. I'll post better photos once the new shop is set up.

Gray6221/09/2016 19:11:46
1058 forum posts
16 photos

I have a boxford Mk2 8" shaper which gets regular use, here it is pictured on the SMEE stand at MEX 2014 coupled with a divisionmaster controlled dividing head cutting an internal gear

gear shaping.jpg

John Coates21/09/2016 19:27:42
558 forum posts
28 photos

Here's my Elliott 10M. Love setting it going then hearing it swish swish in the background as I get on with something else

elliott a upright.jpg

Ady121/09/2016 19:51:53
6137 forum posts
893 photos

I'm having a go at making 4x30 tooth gears at the moment

gears1.jpg

stevetee21/09/2016 20:29:57
145 forum posts
14 photos

I was about to mention the shaper for cutting gears . I saw a jig some one one had made, every stroke incremented round 1 tooth, every rotation added a thou ( or 2) until the job was finished. Very clever.

Gordon A21/09/2016 22:45:01
157 forum posts
4 photos

I find my Adept number 2 hand shaper to be a good substitute for my poor filing skills.

The modification to the toolslide shown takes the guesswork out of depth of cut.

dsc_0053.jpg

Gordon.

Barry Taylor 322/09/2016 07:29:06
4 forum posts

Just came across this thread, I've got an Alba 1-A 10" shaper and I love it. Very similer to the 'Royal' shaper pictured here. I can shape most things within reason much quicker than with a vertical mill, although the two in combination is a great marriage.

Barry.

RICHARD GREEN 222/09/2016 11:12:05
329 forum posts
193 photos

Hello Graeme W,

Nice to see your Boxford cutting an internal gear,

How do you work out the tool shape for an internal gear, and how do you create the tool shape accurately ?

I've cut plenty of gears using a commercial cutter in a horizontal mill,

At some point in the near future I am going to have to cut an internal gear, so I am interested how you achieved it.

Richard.

david williams 1422/09/2016 16:23:45
16 forum posts

fun to use the old boxford. part of the pleasure is deciding on best use of tooling - and the sounds of cutting. I agree satisfying monitoring it whilst engaged on other work.

certainly wont be getting rid of mine.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate