By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Prescription Safety Glasses

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
michael cole15/10/2013 21:52:49
166 forum posts

Does anyone here use prescription safety glasses? I am now getting slightly longsighted ( need glasses for close up work) and I am considering buying a pair. What would be a typical (cheap) price and what should I be asking for? These are intended for wear at the lathe with a good clear chuck guard. For grinding work I intend to still wear my normall safety glasses.

Mike

mechman4815/10/2013 22:06:33
2947 forum posts
468 photos

I use them, Bi-focal, but they were supplied by a previous employer so can't say what I would have paid for them, but I could hazard a guestimate of around £80 (employers get a substantial discount) from the last price I recall. I am going to get mine reglazed during the next couple of weeks as they need updating now so could let you know later. Pop into your local opticians & ask, they all do them on request.

George

Edited By mechman48 on 15/10/2013 22:07:46

Metalhacker15/10/2013 23:10:23
82 forum posts

I have prescription varifocal safety glasses. Not cheap at around £150, but my eyes are valuable particularly as only one works. Very much worth it IMHO.

BW

Andries

Stovepipe15/10/2013 23:10:44
196 forum posts

Wouldn't safety GOGGLES be far more useful and safer ?

Dennis

RichardS16/10/2013 09:22:19
33 forum posts

Full face visor e.g. Machinemart 040433610, Vitrex 334100 Safety Shield. Much cheaper than prescription safety glasses and shields your whole face.

Glasses and goggles don't really mix anyway, I find the goggles tend to push the glasses away from their optimum position.

HomeUse16/10/2013 09:27:16
168 forum posts
12 photos

Just had pair from "Should have gone to" (British TV Add) - Cost £68 - Free Eye test - Ready in 14 days - Spec :- Clear glass upper area for long,normal distance and perception in lower area - needed getting used to not looking thro' top and bottom at the same time - No Problems

Trevorh16/10/2013 09:33:35
316 forum posts
89 photos

Most one stop shops supply Over Safety Glasses that fit over and around existing glasses I have to use them when I go into various factories try Arco and the like

John C16/10/2013 09:35:04
273 forum posts
95 photos

I use bifocal safety glasses available from the likes of Amazon - do a search for 'Bifocal Safety Glasses'. I find them very good and not too pricey.

John

Edited as URL did not condense to 'Link'

Edited By John Corden on 16/10/2013 09:37:26

Mark C16/10/2013 09:52:19
707 forum posts
1 photos

I bought some "Infield terminator" that take inserts - they are very comfortable and I don't have to worry about the prescription part getting damaged as you can buy the outer bit separately. I get mine from the local builders (I have an account which helps) but you can look here **LINK** and you will find them a bit down the page on the left. They also wrap around preventing anything getting down the sides. I only have prescription for close work but I would think you can have them in every prescription you want. Price for me was £45 if I recall. You have to get your prescription from the opticians (free, it's yours anyway) and they also want to know the distance between your pupils which the optician will also tell you.

Mark

The Merry Miller16/10/2013 10:05:48
484 forum posts
97 photos

The last prescription safety glasses I had, about two years ago, were from Boots Opticians.

They were single vision and made by "Parmelee" ( see their website )

Boots will show you what they do, there's quite a range for different occupations,

Mine cost £35 at the time, it wasn't a special offer either.

Len. P.

Rik Shaw16/10/2013 10:10:13
1494 forum posts
403 photos

My last job in the engineering trade was spent in the tool and cutter department. Both my work mate and I found it impossible to do close work wearing safety goggles as we could not see detail properly - trying to wear them for prolonged periods whilst regrinding say a batch of 1/4" ball end cutters was torture on the eyeballs with headaches common. No matter how well you treated them they scratched easily and after only a short period of use became cloudy following frequent cleaning.

After many complaints the company relented and sent us to the optician for sight tests and we were both prescribed safety spectacles (the ones with the Perspex side guards). No magnification was necessary as both of us had A1 vision. These proved to be excellent and being resistant to scratching were well up for the job in hand.

Rik

michael cole16/10/2013 14:54:09
166 forum posts

Thanks for the replys. As I said I am looking only for safety glasses. I already have and wear googles and a full face when required. My company uses S***savers for our VDU eyesight test, But I shall now go and have a look at Boots and online

mechman4816/10/2013 16:33:01
2947 forum posts
468 photos

Update:

Just called in to my opticians today 'should have gone to ...', HSE & Insurance Co's will not allow reglazing of safety specs, ordered new pair, picked out personal choice frame (light metal) with ultra large Bifocal section for close work (non standard so extra cost), scratch resistant coating, polycarbonate side shields...£119.

George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate