Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

tom senior m1 milling machine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
terry callaghan16/09/2013 13:14:15
237 forum posts
10 photos

Hi chaps, I am in need of much help.I have a tom senior milling machine and have no idea how to fit the tooling for the horizontal head.I have lots of tooling. But need help to get this mill working. Can anyone guide me in settingthis up.thanks, miMichael

OuBallie16/09/2013 13:44:07
1181 forum posts
669 photos

Terry,

You don't say what you have, so here is a list of what IS needed to operate in horizontal mode;

1) The 2.1/4" round bar that extends through the main column forward, supporting 3),

2) The horizontal arbor that fits into the main spindle and which is a precise fit in the,

3) Arbor support bracket that hangs off of the end of 1)

4) A selection of arbor spacers, to position the cutter/s over the table.

Hope this helps, but if you need photos, let me know and I will put some up in an Album.

Geoff - Coffee nearly finished

Thor 🇳🇴16/09/2013 17:28:41
1766 forum posts
46 photos

Hi Terry,

I dont't know if you have read this description of how to use a horizontal milling machine.and if you find it helpful.This is a more genearl description, not specifically for a Senior. Here's another.

There is also a Yahoo group for Senior milling machines that you might fing useful.

Regards

Thor.

Edited By Thor on 16/09/2013 17:31:45

terry callaghan16/09/2013 20:01:16
237 forum posts
10 photos

Thanks thor, just what I was looking for.also thanks geoff, if I may ask you to send pics to me direct. PM me for e-mail address

E-mail address removed to stop spammers by JasonB

Edited By JasonB on 10/01/2015 16:01:11

OuBallie17/09/2013 11:10:35
1181 forum posts
669 photos

Thor,

Good info on the first two links - thanks.

Terry,

My TS is in vertical mode right now, so will take photos as soon as I convert it to horizontal again.

It doesn't take very long though.

Hope you aren't in a screaming hurry

Have a look at www.colinusher.info/Livesteam/senior.html

Geoff - Up late this morning

Edited By OuBallie on 17/09/2013 11:14:03

Edited By OuBallie on 17/09/2013 11:14:59

Adam Harris10/01/2015 14:17:36
533 forum posts
26 photos

Geoff, I could do with some guidance as well on the M1. I I have failed to find a manual for the M1 with pictures or photos. The Colinusher.info source is certainly better than nothing but is there an illustrated manual for the M1 in pdf anywhere? Thanks, Adam

Saxalby10/01/2015 14:53:47
187 forum posts
33 photos

These people have a M1 and Major mill user manual £10 in Pdf format.

http://www.machinemanuals.co.uk/manual.php?p=157

Barry

David Jupp10/01/2015 17:07:30
978 forum posts
26 photos

Denford have some data on Tom Senior machines on their web site

**LINK**

There is a manual for download, but I haven't checked the model.

RICHARD GREEN 210/01/2015 17:25:36
329 forum posts
193 photos

Terry, here is a picture of a Tom Senior M1, set up as a horizontal mill.

Richard.

tom senior m1

Adam Harris10/01/2015 17:38:29
533 forum posts
26 photos

Hi David, thanks I will telephone them on Monday. I do not mind paying 10 pounds if it is full of photos like the Myford manuals.

Adam Harris10/01/2015 17:46:59
533 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Barry, thanks I will telephone them on Monday. I do not mind paying if it is full of photos like the Myford manuals. I cannot see one for the M1 on that site . Adam

ronan walsh10/01/2015 19:26:31
546 forum posts
32 photos

The Tom Senior's are pretty simple straight forward machines. What do you need to know Adam ?

Adam Harris10/01/2015 21:40:03
533 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Ronan, many thanks for asking. I would like to have a complete operators manual with photos so I can see what part is called what and relates to which part number. i have the written instruction manual from Colinusher.info but there are no pictures for ref and the diagrams at the end are very poor quality with illegible reference numbers. If you have a pdf I am happy to give you a high quality (self-scanned at 600dpi) Myford Super 7 manual in pdf or indeed a Meddings MF4 manual in pdf although not as good as Myford for pictures...

ronan walsh10/01/2015 21:44:17
546 forum posts
32 photos

Have you joined the yahoo group for Tom Senior owners Adam ? Some very knowledgable people on there.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/tom_senior/info

Adam Harris10/01/2015 22:11:47
533 forum posts
26 photos

Ronan, yes i have thanks but still no closer to getting my hands on the proper manual

John Hinkley09/04/2023 07:54:47
1545 forum posts
484 photos

Andrew/Pete,

I think these last two postings are in the wrong thread. That is This one. Not one with its origins in 2013. Perhaps if you confirm this to a moderator, they'll move them for you.

John

Michael Gilligan09/04/2023 08:18:02
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by John Hinkley on 09/04/2023 07:54:47:

Andrew/Pete,

I think these last two postings are in the wrong thread. That is This one. Not one with its origins in 2013. Perhaps if you confirm this to a moderator, they'll move them for you.

John

I reported it, earlier this morning, John yes

MichaelG.

John Hinkley09/04/2023 09:27:13
1545 forum posts
484 photos

Well done, Michael. You'll get your reward in the next life, no doubt. Certainly not here! wink 2.

John

Edited to include an intentional smiley while I still can.

Edited By John Hinkley on 09/04/2023 09:28:07

Nigel McBurney 110/04/2023 14:54:07
1101 forum posts
3 photos

You stated that you need info to get started with this mill,I doubt if a machine manual will give the infomation that you require,what you require would be a book on milling of the type that used in the basic technical college courses,the book Workshop Technology Part two by WAJ Chapman would be a start,usually available on web bookshops.Now for basics, Make sure the spindle taper and the arbour taper are clean. The arbour (cutter spindle) MUSTbe secured in the machine spindle with a threaded drawbolt.The arbour should have a keyway and key to drive the cutter and spacers, the cutter spacers must be clean and free from rust, when assembling them on the arbour,the mating faces of the collars must be very clean ,any swarf on the mating faces will cause the arbour to bend when the nut is tightened, One collar is usually larger in diameter ,this is the bearing collar that runs in the bearing casting,which fits on the round over arm,squirt some oil on this collar,so there is some lube available on first start up.set the bearing casting at the end of the overarm and tighten the nut too secure the casting,set the bearing collar as the close to the cutter as possible to get the best support for the cutter, it does not matter if the arbor protrudes beyond the bearing casting .with drive pulley belt slack check spindle rotation is not tight, then tighten the round overarm by the bolt/clamps in the mill body check again for rotation then if ok tighten the arbour nut, no need for overtightening, on a lot of mills the arbour bearing (usually bronze) can be adjusted and has an oiler for lubrication,do not grease. A word of warning,the horizontal milling machine was always regarded along with the power press as the most dangerous machines in the average machine shop (plus grinders) and the cutters had to be guarded with substantial guards,the exception was that a toolsetter could work without the guards. A horizontal cutter and spindle with lots of torque at slow speeds will drag overalls,and hands and arm into the the machine. When I was apprenticed I spent 9 months milling and in those days, drilling machine guards were a nuisance and left on the shelf,goggles not used despite notices and safety glasses unheard of,no lathes had chuck guards but leave the guards off a horizontal mill and the foreman would be after you. If the vertical head was in use with an end mill or shell mill,guards were not required. nor were guards required on vertical mills. Our bosses comment on horizontal mills was they are dangerous,they will drag you in and not stop. Hope this helps

John Hinkley10/04/2023 15:24:48
1545 forum posts
484 photos

Nigel,

I'm sure that your response was well intentioned, but after nearly 10 years since the OP first posted and his only reply was to Thor on the same day, I would imagine he's sorted by now!

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate