bob gould08/05/2013 12:37:02
75 forum posts
165 photos

4_in_recoil_sides_profiled.jpgget-attachment.jpg1_front_finished.jpg

2_back_in_battery_profiled.jpg

Ady108/05/2013 15:39:43
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Kewl rifling. Can you tell us how you did it?

bob gould08/05/2013 16:05:49
75 forum posts
165 photos

I'm afraid i do not know and the modeller is keeping it close to his chest.. sorry

bob gould09/05/2013 09:52:53
75 forum posts
165 photos

Given all the indubitable skills and talent on this forum; any ideas on how one would achieve that rifling??>>

JasonB09/05/2013 10:29:13
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Homemade broach very similar to a spline broach would be a possibility. I think taking it out with a single cutter for each groove would see the cut wandering off over such a length.

J

Ady109/05/2013 10:38:55
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Bob Gould

Is the rifling straight or has he imparted a slight twist in it?

bob gould09/05/2013 11:23:22
75 forum posts
165 photos

i'm pretty sure it has a twist

Jeff Dayman09/05/2013 12:39:44
2356 forum posts
47 photos

A spline broach used on a rifling bench would be the likely method. The rifling bench is a long table with workholding features at one end and a helical cam (helix geometry matching the rifling twist) to mount and guide the broach at the other.

There will be a twist in the rifling - the purpose of the rifling is to get the projectile to spin during flight, which stabilises it.

I'm not any sort of gun expert - the above is the sum of my expertise on rifling.

JD

bob gould11/05/2013 09:34:52
75 forum posts
165 photos
How does it work?
Stub Mandrel11/05/2013 09:45:34
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

hi Bob,

GIYF

There are several methods, listed on this page.

Neil

bob gould12/05/2013 13:05:20
75 forum posts
165 photos

"GIYF" i had to google that! smiley thank you for info. Question: What do frogs do?get-attachment2.jpgAnswer: RIVET, RIVET, RIVET!!

Andyf12/05/2013 14:17:40
392 forum posts

It looks like it's going to be a super model.

One slight worry: in the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended) "...the expression “firearm” means a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged..."

That's very wide; taking it to the point of absurdity, it might cover a tube which happened to have one end closed off and a small hole through the side, because if you were so minded, you could stuff powder and ball down it and detonate the powder via the hole. The Act doesn't say "commercially available shot, bullet or other missile".

If the model is realistic to the extent that it is not de-activated in any way, maybe you should have a firearms certificate for it. I appreciate that you will have no live ammunition, and no ammo will be commercially available, but the Act says you commit an offence if you manufacture or possess a firearm, whether or not you have ammo to go with it. Indeed, it would not be too difficult to make up miniature shells from items readily available like the contents of fireworks, starting pistol blanks, lead and brass (though doing so would constitute a separate offence).

Andy.

Ady112/05/2013 17:19:11
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Don't worry, he's already taken care of all of that stuff.

Focus on the lovely workmanship

Rik Shaw12/05/2013 19:28:56
1494 forum posts
403 photos

Can't help feeling a little uncomfortable about this and the original thread.Howitzer wind up perpetuated? Well, like this possibly. Or am I just being an old cynic?

Rik

jason udall12/05/2013 21:20:51
2032 forum posts
41 photos
Andy ...that worries me some what...I have been manufacturing spindles for over ten years these have an oil way and cross hole drilled into them ...from the above description these would qualify as fire arms . Over 100 000 parts per year
Gulp!
Andyf12/05/2013 22:01:48
392 forum posts

No need for the brown trousers, Jason. As I said, I was taking things to the point of absurdity, and perhaps I shouldn't have done.

Making something for a purpose which is entirely unconnected with firearms, but which could by some nefarious person be used as an improvised gun, wouldn't count. There would have to be an intent to make a firearm. I only mentioned the Firearms Act because Bob's model has an obvious connection with firearms, and thus (though a miniature of something much larger) might itself count as a firearm. Ady1 says Bob has that covered, so that's OK.

I speak not as someone opposed to firearms (in the right hands, of course). I own a couple of legal ones myself, though the populace may rest assured that my single shot .22 target rifles weighing 15lbs each are not the weapons of choice for a bank robber or mass murderer.

Andy

jason udall12/05/2013 23:57:46
2032 forum posts
41 photos

Andy ..that was all understood.. but the absurdity of uk( or EU law should not be underestimated...the dangerous weapons act (why the checkout sounds an alarm when you buy razor blades )..says "weapon" or something that can be made into a weapon....

....ask me about the use of kitchen roll tubes and cling film one day.......

.And what are the authorities going to make of the hand gun printed on a 3d printer...... Strange times indeed

John Stevenson13/05/2013 00:00:52
5068 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by jason udall on 12/05/2013 23:57:46:

.And what are the authorities going to make of the hand gun printed on a 3d printer...... Strange times indeed

We are not going there, period.

bob gould13/05/2013 10:13:55
75 forum posts
165 photos

Thank you for your comments. I am very well rehearsed in the UK firearms laws and can assure you this model has is being made in complience with them. smiley

Joseph Ramon13/05/2013 11:07:14
107 forum posts

I think we only have to look at Bob's photos and the commentaries on them to see this is a non-issue.

It WOULD be useful if a senior police officer were to produce a short article clarifying the law and giving guidance to modellers on what needs a licence and what should be done to make a potential firearm non-viable. I doubt that will happen.

In the meantime I suggest anyone modelling a gun has either a hole hidden in the underside of the barrel near the breech or plugs the barrel with a driven in hardened plug with the ends turned as two offset cones to stop it being drilled out.

Joey

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate