By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Joseph Ramon

Here is a list of all the postings Joseph Ramon has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Three Jaw Independent Chuck
13/08/2013 09:55:21

Does this design pre- or post-date the three-jaw scroll chuck as we know it today?

Joey

Thread: Bright Mild Steel Flat
25/06/2013 16:13:16

Sheet steel from an old domestic appliance and a cheap set of tinsnips?

Joey

Thread: Chesterman 369 height gauge
25/06/2013 16:09:20

Note the hollowed out base and little slot to prevent suction when lifting it off a surface plate.

Zoom in to avoid that awful moire pattern though!

Joey

Edited By Joseph Ramon on 25/06/2013 16:10:33

Thread: Clarke lathe
21/06/2013 13:42:03

Hi Rob,

Does the mill head use the same power supply unit as the lathe?

Joey

Thread: VICKERS 8" HOWITZER NEW THREAD
13/05/2013 11:07:14

I think we only have to look at Bob's photos and the commentaries on them to see this is a non-issue.

It WOULD be useful if a senior police officer were to produce a short article clarifying the law and giving guidance to modellers on what needs a licence and what should be done to make a potential firearm non-viable. I doubt that will happen.

In the meantime I suggest anyone modelling a gun has either a hole hidden in the underside of the barrel near the breech or plugs the barrel with a driven in hardened plug with the ends turned as two offset cones to stop it being drilled out.

Joey

Thread: I think my dividing head makers needs....
13/05/2013 11:01:47

I think foklks are missing Michael's point. There uis a very good reason why the holes may not be evenly spaced - so you can swap plates and put them back on in the same orientation without needing a key.

Both items could well be to spec, but not matched.

Joey

Thread: Time in the workshop
10/05/2013 16:10:38

Kerrang! Bring on Loz, Keith, Johnny Doom and poor Kate Lawler!

Joey

Thread: clevis holes .001 different
10/05/2013 16:08:47

Michael is right.

This is a good example of where the "best practice of fully dimensioned and toleranced drawings" as used in industry is clearly folly.

Even the old style 1/8" full and 1/8" bare would be more useful, though a simple 1/8" dimension with the note to make one end a press fit would be best.

In practice I'd make both holes undersize on the pin material, then open one up with a broach, reamer or even a drill in a pin chuck.

Joey

Thread: Engine Turning or "Jewelling
29/04/2013 14:35:58

I've seen this on vintage car dashboards. personally i think it's a bit OTT as it highlights the background, rather than the detail. Rather like the 'Duplex' boring bar holder that was scraped all over!

Joey the spoilsport

Thread: Vermiculite board for hearth ?
29/04/2013 14:29:56

Vermiculite board absorbes very little heat. It's not quite space shuttle tiles, but I've picked up bits within a minute of them being at red heat and not burned myself.

The problem with it is that flux residues build up on eths urfeca and can cause it to flake off.

Joey

Thread: Facing bar ends
26/04/2013 13:46:31

A wooden stick with the lower end between the lathe shears, or even a screwdriver can be used to do this with care.

Joey

Thread: Test thread
25/04/2013 10:45:50

Hi Fred,

Commenting on your own question to get it back to the top is called 'bumping' and is an accepted practice if indulged in with moderation.

On another forum recently and I noticed they actually had a 'bump thread' button!

Joey

Thread: Vickers 8" Howie pics as promised
23/04/2013 15:37:55

Interesting to watch progress Bob,

Looking at your own achievemnts, I'm surprised you are getting a third party to do this for you!

Joey

Thread: Emery paper grades
23/04/2013 09:32:29

Number grit sizes are numbers of grains per inch.

It would be interesting to know how surface roughness (ra) relates to grit size, although as you use emery it blunts and clogs so the finish imporves.

Joey.

Thread: First attempt at silver soldering :-(
22/04/2013 12:05:30

Jerry,

I think yiou just aren't putting enough heat in. Don't be lily-livered, turn the torch up to full. As you approach the right heat the flux will melt and become a clear, slightly mobile liquid. Keep pouring in the heat. In subdued light you will see the copper begin to glow a dull red, now is the time to strike the solder to the work.

Even if you had feed the solder, havinga bit on the work you can watch to see when it melts helps.

If you are outside even a modest breeze will rob a lot of heat from the work, so make sure you are well sheltered.

You are much more likely to succeed in your quest is you make a proper end cap for the boiler by flanging a circular blank over a wooden former. It should be an easy but not loose fit. If blanking both ends, make sure the boiler has a pre-drilled hole somewhere to let the expanding air out!

Joey

Thread: 3 hole pcd
16/04/2013 11:52:19

Measure diameter of spindle = X

Measure diameter of hole = Y

Measure distance bewteen spindle and inside edge of hole =Z

PCD = X + Y + 2Z

Joey.

Thread: What did you do today? (2013)
15/04/2013 09:11:09

> just rest a finger on the stop button for it to chatter.

You don't think it could be the contacts in the stop button that need cleaning?

> Today's flying was cancelled due to a 25 knot crosswind,

And 44mph gusts...

Joey

Thread: 3 hole pcd
15/04/2013 09:07:12

Hi Mark,

Put a bit of paper over the end of the grider (with a hole for the spindle). Push a pencil through each of the mounting holes and spin it round. It will be much easier to measure the spacing of the holes from the paper copy, or you can use it as a template..

Also, it is easier to meaure between the edges of the holes than their centres, just make sure you use the same point (e.g. far right edge) of the two holes!

Joey

Thread: Conjunction of Moon and Jupiter
12/04/2013 11:06:31

All looks a bit nebulous to me

very impressive, Exactly what equipment do you have? A star-tracking equitorial mount would be a good project.

Joey

Thread: What did you do today? (2013)
08/04/2013 12:58:07

HI Windy,

It's a shame there isn't an ethical way to 'pre-sell' your kit to someone, perhaps they make monthly payments, and when you peg it the value of the fund goes to your estate and they get either the lot, or an agreed proportions of your kit depending on how much they paid in, with the option to get any un-paid for kit at a fair ,fixed price.

Clearly the uncomfortable situation is someone 'waiting for you to go', and the fact that you might hang on for an age.

May have pros and cons for some companies?

Joey

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate