By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Recommendations sought for a non-shrinking, non-spill oil pot.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bill Phinn30/07/2023 15:48:02
1076 forum posts
129 photos

Six months ago I bought two non-spill pots like this.

When new, their push-on lids were tight-fitting. I put Ilocut cutting oil in one of them and used it for about three months before I noticed that the lid had become very loose, to the point where it could be lifted off the pot with just the weight of the empty pot pulling down on it.

Since this non-spill pot had now become a "spill pot" I deployed the second pot, whose lid was still nice and tight at this point, as it was when originally purchased. Three months later,though, the lid on this second pot is just as loose as the first one was after three months.

I don't understand the chemistry of why putting oil in the pot makes the plastic shrink, but if anyone can recommend a specific non-shrinking non-spill pot I'd appreciate it.

Michael Gilligan30/07/2023 15:55:34
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

A couple of questions, Bill

1. has the pot shrunk, or has the lid expanded ?
  2. Are the two components made from the same type of plastic ?

MichaelG.

Edit:__ and a third question … is this the relevant oil ?

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/lubricants-and-chemicals/cutting-and-coolant-fluids/ilocut-154-cutting-oils/f/52961

… it appears that there are several numbers/grades of Castrol ilocut

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 30/07/2023 16:05:46

Maurice Taylor30/07/2023 16:05:51
275 forum posts
39 photos

Hi ,

Make one from a glass jam jar ,make a hole in the lid for your brush.

Maurice

Michael Gilligan30/07/2023 16:51:04
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

If you go the glass route, and if it’s big enough … the Colman’s Mustard jar is a good relatively-stable shape

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 30/07/2023 16:52:18

Baz30/07/2023 18:00:16
1033 forum posts
2 photos

Wife bought half a dozen of these non spill pots in The Works, used them for the grandkids when they were painting, I nicked a couple for the workshop and they have had neat cutting oil in them for over a year with absolutely no problems, don’t know the spec of the neat cutting oil but it is the stuff that Warco sell

Bill Phinn30/07/2023 18:41:19
1076 forum posts
129 photos

Thanks for the replies.

Michael, it's Ilocut 154, yes.

I don't know whether the lid has expanded or the pot shrunk, but I assume the latter from that fact that, most of the time, significantly more oil is in contact with the pot than with the lid.

Either way, the pots are now unusable, as two accidental spillages have already attested.

ETA: I don't know whether the two plastics are the same, but the lid is coloured whilst the pot is translucent.

Posted by Maurice Taylor on 30/07/2023 16:05:51:

Hi ,

Make one from a glass jam jar ,make a hole in the lid for your brush.

Maurice

I tried that, Maurice. Access to the oil through a simple hole wasn't quick enough for me, though, even when I bonded an inverted shower cord pull in the lid to guide the brush down into the oil.

Edited By Bill Phinn on 30/07/2023 18:52:43

Michael Gilligan30/07/2023 19:04:15
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

The twelve page MSDS is available here: **LINK**

https://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/Files/3D072EBD71E80B75802585FF0053ACA4/$File/2663615.pdf

I can see no specific reference to an incompatibility with unspecified plastics, but reading between the lines, the reference to gloves might give us a hint.

MichaelG.

Bill Phinn12/08/2023 02:15:39
1076 forum posts
129 photos

Thanks for that, Michael.

The second of my mysterious shrinking pots/expanding lids is now in the bin. I have replaced it with something of older vintage.

jimmy b12/08/2023 02:55:02
857 forum posts
45 photos

I just hot glued the lids in place after dropping them a couple of times, not had an issue since!

Jimb

Michael Gilligan12/08/2023 06:19:09
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Bill Phinn on 12/08/2023 02:15:39:

Thanks for that, Michael.

The second of my mysterious shrinking pots/expanding lids is now in the bin. I have replaced it with something of older vintage.

That’s classy, Bill … yes

MichaelG.

Nick Hughes12/08/2023 14:24:31
307 forum posts
150 photos

Dropping a decent sized button magnet into my simple plastic pot, has prevented accidental knock over spills for me (obviously only when the pot is on a ferrous surface though).

Bill Phinn12/08/2023 14:58:57
1076 forum posts
129 photos

Thanks for the further replies.

Jimmy, gluing the lid in place wouldn't be much good if I wanted to clean the swarf out that inevitably accumulates in the bottom of the pot.

Nick, the magnet idea is a good one, though again I wouldn't want to have to clean the swarf off it each time I come to renew the oil. I suppose you could put it in a small ziplock bag.

DMB12/08/2023 18:12:06
1585 forum posts
1 photos

You may have a problem removing the magnet from the bag and preventing the swarf following the strong magnet pull.

How about a ferrous oil pot with that powerful magnet stuck to the bottom, on the outside, then in turn stuck to the mill table or wherever?

Chris Mate13/08/2023 07:23:58
325 forum posts
52 photos

From a gift shop:
I have tried a couple of pots/ideas but was dissappointed, but spot some glass pots with narrow openings shaped like a round trianglerelative thick glass(Some weight for the size), a small round artbrush will fit through the openning, different sizes. I bought a few from a gift shop(Small/Larger), and so far the bigger one about 10cm tall and the base will fit over your hand, is the one used. None has broken or posed a problem so far. I fit/slide a brake cyclinder rubber over the brush to prevent evaporation.

They handle easy by hand and don't tip over easily.
The weight is enough so inserting pulling out the brush does not disturbe the pot., I glued a rouns 3mm cutout metal to the bottom that will stick to a round welding magnet, if you want to have it stay put. Some chips gather at the bottom but dont bother, clean/rinse it out from time to time.

I used it for two years now and don't think about going back to anything else.

Edited By Chris Mate on 13/08/2023 07:29:25

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate