Sheet Metalwork

3 in1 machines?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bo'sun27/07/2023 10:59:59
754 forum posts
2 photos

Good morning,

I need to do some sheet metal bending and rolling (around 20 swg Mild Steel).

I've come across these 3 in 1 bender, roller and shearing machines from the likes of Machine Mart, Vevor, Warco, etc.

Are they any good? Capacity looks about right.

magpie27/07/2023 11:24:05
508 forum posts
98 photos

They are OK, but need careful setting up when new.

Andrew Tinsley27/07/2023 11:41:00
1817 forum posts
2 photos

They are OK within their operating range. Do not expect too much for thicker metal.

Andrew.

Dave Halford27/07/2023 12:01:41
2536 forum posts
24 photos

Be careful, I bought an 300mm Axminster one and left it boxed for a year, DUH.

Nothing was quite right, the casting machining was off so long bends are still a little off after fettling as one side operates before the other.

On the plus side they will roll 3" wide 3mm steel with lots of runs even if the gears are way off meshing.

john fletcher 127/07/2023 12:30:05
893 forum posts

I have set of home made rollers and a folder for sheet metal, both work well but would like to be able to cut sheet steel and sheet aluminium, with out the usual marks with tin shearers, should I buy a 3in 1 job from Machine Mart or Axminster. Your comment will be appreciated. John

duncan webster27/07/2023 12:32:30
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Friend of mine bought one, it was impossible to set up correctly as the end pieces were machined out of line. Supplier refunded without even checking, which suggests it wasn't unusual. Having said that, someone else I know has one and is pleased with it, so it sounds like typical imported stuff, some of it is rubbish, but other which looks identical can be good. Moral of the story unpack it and try it out straight away.

Baz27/07/2023 12:37:42
1033 forum posts
2 photos

The 3 in 1 machines are better than nothing, I have a 12 inch Warco version and the vee bender is next to useless, the guillotine works but only on very thin material, I tend to only cut brass shim on it, the roller is perhaps it’s best feature. To sum up I suppose it does the job.

Bo'sun27/07/2023 16:14:14
754 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks All,

Looks like as Baz says, they're better than nothing. I guess, you "pays your money" with these things.

The 200mm version from Warco looks quite attractive for it's compact size (and it will suit my needs), but I think I'll go for a 300mm version. Because as has often been said on here about Lathes and Mills, you can do small things on a larger machine, but not always the other way around. Also, there seems to be more choice with the 300mm versions, although they all look pretty much the same apart from the colour.

not done it yet27/07/2023 16:16:39
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Expect something to be out of line/sub-standard, if bought with a vevor sticker. On the mathematical probability scale, I would say ‘likely’ rather than ‘possibly’.🙂

Dunno about the rest

mgnbuk27/07/2023 16:56:41
1394 forum posts
103 photos

The first Chester 12" 3-in-1 I bought would not operate alla three funsctions due to the moving beam being machined incorrectly. No spares to hand, so the machine was replaced & the second one works fine.

The quoted 1mm capability in steel is an effort to shear, though I have used mine mainly on sub-1mm aluminiun for which it is quite easy..

It has not had much use & is currently greased up under a bench pending sale - it is in the small ads on here , collect from Huddersfield for a lot less than a new one, plus it has already been deburred !

Nigel B.

Howard Lewis27/07/2023 17:07:25
7227 forum posts
21 photos

The little sheet metal work that I do is done using a larger Warco bench shear, and set of 12" bending rolls, basically, made to the G H Thomas 10" design, and a Warco 12" press brake/folder.

Am always a little worried by machines that claim to be "All things to all men"

being a cynic, "Jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind.

Howard

martin perman27/07/2023 17:38:25
2095 forum posts
75 photos

I've had the smaller size from Machine Mart for several years and make round fuel tanks for my stationary engines using ex immersion heater tanks copper sheet, I've cut thin steel sheet with it. The rolls and bender work well for me as well.

My only criticism would be that I had to tinker with the guillotine table to get it to cut well.

Martin P

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate