Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

SRDPN2020K10 tool holder

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sonic Escape09/03/2023 21:33:39
194 forum posts
5 photos

Has anyone used this type of cutting tools? I think they are for roughing. They support many types of inserts but I can't find the specifications for each of them. I suppose the inserts differ depending on the material that is being cut?

Huub09/03/2023 22:00:06
220 forum posts
20 photos

Inserts and their application is a discipline of its own.

These round inserts have a enormous "nose radius". They will give a better finish than inserts that have a small nose radius like a CCGT060204. A large nose radius results in large cutting forces. So these round inserts are not used for rouging but for finishing jobs on a rigid lathe.

The different colours shows different coatings and each coating is optimised for a certain material type and turning conditions.

You can also see different chip breakers. Chip breakers are also optimised for material types and turning conditions.

The shiny ones (middle row), are probably polished inserts. These polished inserts have very sharp cutting edges and are commonly used for aluminium and plastics. On non rigid lathes, polished inserts that have a small nose radius like CCGT060202 and DCGT070202 give good results when cutting steel, stainless or titanium.

Paul Lousick09/03/2023 22:15:50
2276 forum posts
801 photos

I have used one on a ball turner and for making handles like these. Because of their large radius could only take small cuts but good for producing a good finish on curved surfaces

knob.jpg

Nimble09/03/2023 22:57:14
66 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Sonic,

I have just purchased too holder SRDPN1010H10T3 off Ali Express (LRC TOOL OFFICIAL STORE) They supplied with it inserts RPMT1073 Other insert types were also listed.

Like Paul my intention is to use them on a ball turner

**LINK**

Regards, Neil

John Reese09/03/2023 23:10:11
1071 forum posts

I have used a similar tool. Even on my 16" lathe I have to be careful how much tool contact I have or I get chatter. I am not sure if that tool would be suitable for a small lathe.

peak409/03/2023 23:39:27
2207 forum posts
210 photos

They work OK in a fly cutter too.

Bill

DiogenesII10/03/2023 06:45:03
859 forum posts
268 photos

Because Sonic still needs to get his lathe set-up and 'tuned-in', I think that tool with it's large radius is unsuitable for 'first cuts' - it will introduce another variable and offer poor general-purpose cutting performance in any case.

Sonic's lathe is bigger than mine, maybe something like SCLCR/L for 'setting up' and general purpose work, cheap to buy and with wide a range of tips universally available, or maybe holders for something like CNMG might offer advantages for a lathe of this size..? ..further comment welcome..

..almost anything with a smaller 'corner' will be easier to 'set-up and get started with' than round tips, and be more suited to general purpose and roughing work in the future.

JasonB10/03/2023 07:07:50
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Their main use is for profiling curved items like Paul has shown, can also be useful if you need a large internal fillet and for weld prep but not really suitable as your everyday go to tool or for roughing. Not least because you can't turn upto a shoulder.

Also the 10mm insert is probably going to be too big for most hobby needs holders that that the smaller RCMT06 or RCGT06 would be better if you did want to try the round tools.

John Hinkley10/03/2023 09:43:58
1545 forum posts
484 photos

Not surprisingly, I agree wholeheartedly with Jason! I bought a similar holder with 6mm inserts specifically for use with my experimental taper turning/copying attachment as I was having difficulty with "normal" tools.

You can see it in use and it produces reasonable results in aluminium as in this video, from about 11.30 mins on.

I also use it very occasionally when I need to produce a radius for stress relief at a transitional joint, for example, though that is rare for me.

John

Sonic Escape12/03/2023 09:33:52
194 forum posts
5 photos

Ok, understood. I think I'll buy later this type of tool. But this morning on the local flea market I found something interesting. If large radius produce good finish then this thing should be the best smiley

It is strange that the tip is brazed. I don't think it is carbide.

Clive Brown 112/03/2023 09:48:23
1050 forum posts
56 photos

Could be a short length of hss attached to a mild steel shank. More common in days gone by.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate