Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Preparing for long period of disuse...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
UncouthJ06/01/2023 17:23:30
143 forum posts
39 photos

Hi folks...

So, I'm having surgery next week so the workshop is going to be out of use for possibly a few months. Is there any preparations I should be making, such as giving everything a heavy coat of way oil perhaps?

Thanks.

J

Martin Kyte06/01/2023 20:04:35
3445 forum posts
62 photos

I hope the surgery goes well.

I guess how much prep you need to do in the workshop depends a little on how hard you normally have to work to keep things rust free. I can pretty much leave mine to its own devices. Never seen any signs of rust on my machines. Occasionally get a light surface corrosion on clean steel stock but generally that’s from sweaty hands. If the shop is closed up and dry it will probably look after itself better than if you are in and out breathing all that moist breath into it.

I would focus on having a good clear up so it’s all nice and welcoming for when you return. Have a think about what you will want to do when you get back to it so you have something to look forward to and everything is to hand.

I don’t know what your surgery is but if lifting is going to be an issue for a while get everything heavy stowed away or where you want it while you can.
Apart from that a general wipe over with the oily rag, lubricate your machines and bring anything really precious into the house.

I think you will find stuff will suggest itself to you as you tidy up.

Just my thoughts really.

Anyway as I say the best of luck with the surgery and I wish you a good and speedy recovery.

Best Wishes Martin

not done it yet06/01/2023 20:56:49
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Much like Martin. In my case I would need to drill a hole through my garage wall and plumb in my dehumidifier drain (bypassing the normal 2 litre collection vessel). For several months you perhaps should be thinking of grease, rather than oil? It would need much more cleaning off, eventually, mind.

Security is a priority, too.

Good luck with the surgery.

Baz06/01/2023 22:23:48
1033 forum posts
2 photos

I am also closing the workshop up for approximately three months, the dehumidifier will be left running with a drain running through the wall and everything will be given a generous spraying of WD40 or Duck Oil. Fortunately the house alarm system also links to the workshop so security shouldn’t be a problem.

DiogenesII07/01/2023 07:46:49
859 forum posts
268 photos

..don't leave machine drive belts under tension..!

Baz07/01/2023 09:22:36
1033 forum posts
2 photos

Diogenes I never gave that a thought, I shall slacken them all off this morning.

JA07/01/2023 10:01:26
1605 forum posts
83 photos

J

If you have time put everything away, clear the work bench and make room to move about. When you are recovering you will start using the workshop before others think you should do so (I did after my first hip replacement). Tidying allows the easy use of the workshop while room allows you to move around with ease.

All the best

JA

UncouthJ07/01/2023 12:06:52
143 forum posts
39 photos

Thanks for the tips folks. I think I'll stick with the way oil rather than grease. It's elbow surgery so I may be able to potter a bit carefully. Will make sure to slacken all belts. The tidy up is a given, but I shall give some thought to making things a bit more accessible. Maybe some marking out I can do for upcoming projects. Certainly going to take advantage of the time building my F360 muscles!

Thanks for the well wishes.

J

Ronald Morrison07/01/2023 12:29:09
98 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by DiogenesII on 07/01/2023 07:46:49:

..don't leave machine drive belts under tension..!

The fan belts on my tractors spend their entire lives under tension and the tractors may set unused for 6 to 8 months at a time. I don't think modern belts need to be relieved of their tension. The only factor I see with drive belts left under tension (my larger lathe, 10 X 24) is that the belts may take a set on the curve of the pulleys and cause a slight uneveness at startup but that goes away in the first few seconds of operation. If it is reasonably easy to relieve the tension, go ahead and relieve them. It is very difficult on my lathe so it doesn't happen.

Ady107/01/2023 13:55:35
6137 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by UncouthJ on 07/01/2023 12:06:52:

. Maybe some marking out I can do for upcoming projects.

Certainly going to take advantage of the time building my F360 muscles!

Thanks for the well wishes.

Get a bunch of old ME mags and PDFs together too, always handy for a good read and good for ideas

All the best

Hopper07/01/2023 15:00:08
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Someone made a suggestion in another thread of spraying ISO32 hydraulic oil using a discarded kitchen or laundry product spray bottle. Haven't tried it but it sounds like a quick easy way to spray down ways etc with a protective oil coating.

For three months I would not worry about belts. I worked for years on large air conditioning systems that sat unused for half the year or more and never saw a V belt that took a set in that time. Several years might be something to worry about but not several months.

KenL07/01/2023 15:36:15
16 forum posts

For preventing corrosion on machined surfaces I've always found Loctite sf 7803 to be most effective. Not often stocked by most UK suppliers these days unfortunately.

Good luck with the surgery.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate