By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Dasqua measuring equipment any good?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Daedalus29/08/2022 21:30:30
30 forum posts

I'm starting to re-equip the workshop (for some reason the wife calls it the garage) and popped over to RDG Tools were they do a line in Dasqua measuring tools. I had never heard of them before, Italian Co. but no doubt made in China. I have always used Moore & Wright or Mitutoyo with the odd Starrett thrown in so am unsure about kit that has a very reasonable price tag. Cutwell are also close to me and they do a range called Insight. Again does anyone know what they are like and how they may compare together. I am retiring soon and some of the lump sum will going towards a new lathe, milling machine and measuring equipment, I'm hoping it will last me out, before it goes one of my sons.

Thanks in advance,

Daedalus.

David George 130/08/2022 07:49:32
2110 forum posts
565 photos

Hi Welcome to the forum. I have not seen this make before but there are a few other makes around which were cheaper than the three top makes as well as a few copies and in the end I always ended buying the top three for my use and still have most after a long use in my life time job and retirement. I used one of two other makes as company's sometimes buy some for section use etc but not for my self.

David

not done it yet30/08/2022 07:55:23
7517 forum posts
20 photos

There is nothing wrong with chinese equipment - but, as always, it very much depends on the quality of the product. There are good and poor levels of quality - often dependent on quality control of the whole manufacturing process. Manufactured to a quality level or cost level may be ‘divergent attributes’ to consider.

While Dasqua headquarters are most certainly based in Italy, it does not mean the items are either wholly, or even partly, produced in Italy. Some may come from other global suppliers.

I’ve none of their products, so cannot directly compare with alternatives. Where metrology is concerned, I like to buy well recommended names/products, but recognise my absolute accuracy/precision, while making items, is generally less than the level to which I can measure it!

I always like to measure to one further order of accuracy, knowing that I am well within my expected practical tolerance.

At another level, cheaper tools are not always either so easy to use or perhaps so long-lasting.

Ultimately, it is your choice. Hopefully you will get further subjective comparative replies - but generally responses are likely dependent on the expectations of the owner/user.

What I look for is the type of tool that commercial users would employ - or avoid!

mgnbuk30/08/2022 08:14:03
1394 forum posts
103 photos

No experience of Dasqua, but have used Insight brand items from Cutwel at work since they started selling them several years ago.

Mainly digital calipers but also outside mics, a 3 point bore mic, dial and test indicators. No issues with any of them. The digital calipers have a hard life in our (exclusively graphite) machine shop, but the Insight items have survived longer than most other brands we have tried.

Worth getting on Cutwel's mailing list - they have a lot of short-term offers (some "1 day only" ) with substantial discounts. IIRC the last offer on Insight stuff was 20% off list.

Be wary of buying Mitutoyo stuff online - a lot of fakes about, apparently, so buy from a reputable outlet. If you are close to RDG & Cutwel you are also close to Mitutoyo (Elland), but I don't know if they retail small items from that site - the works CNC CMM came from there, but that cost a bit more than a micrometer !

Nigel B.

Paul M30/08/2022 08:43:24
86 forum posts
4 photos

This is worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG6I2gNGVwM

Paul

SillyOldDuffer30/08/2022 08:55:14
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

I've got a Dasqua digital caliper, bought during a sale. For the money I expected a well-made mid-range tool, which is what I got. The slide is noticeably smoother than the cheaper variety and the battery compartment is sealed with a rubber gasket. The buttons have a more positive feel. Does the usual Imperial/Metric plus 'Absolute Zero'. Accuracy as expected for a caliper about 0.02mm, but the smooth slide makes the instrument easier to operate.

It's nice enough not to be used for rough work. There was an incident where I dropped a Lidl caliper onto a concrete floor and then stood on it! Counselling would have been needed if I'd done that to an expensive one. Not happy with this state of mind because I think tools are bought to be used, not mollycoddled. As is, I spent hard-earned cash on a tool that's delivering no value because I'm reluctant to risk it!

Dave

Mike Hurley30/08/2022 09:16:13
530 forum posts
89 photos

Had a Dasque digital protractor for about a year now. Seems accurate, sturdy, well made. Hardly used on a daily basis, but when it is it does the job accurately and repeatedly. Can't comment on how it compares to other makes, but seems good for the price I paid.

regards Mike

Baz30/08/2022 09:57:17
1033 forum posts
2 photos

I have a couple of Dasqua items and am very pleased with them, I would certainly buy their products again.

Bezzer30/08/2022 16:45:48
203 forum posts
16 photos

They are certainly quite a few notches above bargain basement stuff. Bought an 8" digital caliper a couple of years ago, metric, imperial and fractions readout , no issues, very smooth and decent battery life. Now bought a 4" model as well which also has the same quality feel.

Steve Crow30/08/2022 17:13:59
429 forum posts
268 photos

I've got a set of Dasqua digi calipers and they feel as good as my MItuyo. Lovely and smooth and nice feel.

I bought it because it was the only 100mm caliper I could find and I needed something compact for my watchmakers lathe and other small machines. Batteries seem to last for ever.

I also have a Dasqua 0-5mm analogue dial indicator, again bought because it was the most compact I could find. This isn't up there with my Mituyo's but perfectly adequate and I've used it 2 or 3 times a week for 5 years now.

In my opinion, they are good value for money and I would buy from them again.

Steve

Daedalus30/08/2022 17:44:25
30 forum posts
Posted by Paul M on 30/08/2022 08:43:24:

This is worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG6I2gNGVwM

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes I saw that last night as it happens, first thing this morning I was in the workshop while waiting for the kettle to boil, checking my Mitutoyo calipers. Both pairs of 6" and the 10" seem genuine with regards to "booting up". Mind the two older pairs come in the much nicer fitted grey plastic boxes.

Daedalus.

Daedalus30/08/2022 17:56:31
30 forum posts

Well everyone who uses the Dasqua kit seems to be happy with it, so I think that's what I will go with.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the edit button for a post? I realised that I had said the Cutwell measuring kit was called Insight, when it is actually INSIZE, apologies for the error.

Nigel B, yes Mitutoyo are closer to me in North Huddersfield than either Cutwel or RDG, I'd always thought that it was just a warehouse on the Elland Ind Est. I will have to go and have a nosey around tomorrow. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Daedalus.

SillyOldDuffer30/08/2022 18:56:18
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Daedalus on 30/08/2022 17:56:31:

Can anyone point me in the direction of the edit button for a post?

Bottom right just under the post. However, typos have to corrected quickly because the button disappears about 20 minutes after posting.

Dave

Daedalus03/09/2022 02:05:40
30 forum posts

mgnbuk, Nigel B

Be wary of buying Mitutoyo stuff online - a lot of fakes about, apparently, so buy from a reputable outlet. If you are close to RDG & Cutwel you are also close to Mitutoyo (Elland), but I don't know if they retail small items from that site - the works CNC CMM came from there, but that cost a bit more than a micrometer !

I popped up to the Mitutoyo office in Elland this morning to see if they had a trade counter; they don't. It is a show room for the bigger metrology stuff they do and a training centre for those customers who have forked out the £10'sK for said kit.

I ended up back at RGD, they are very helpful and I came away almost £400 lighter having picked up a 400 square granite surface plate, digital height gauge, 75 to 100mm micrometer and a long travel dial gauge, all Dasqua. I will report back depending on how things go.

not done it yet03/09/2022 06:25:13
7517 forum posts
20 photos

I will report back depending on how things go.

That is a bit ‘woolly!🙂. Only if satisfactory or only if NBG? Why not just report back however things go?

Personally, I think you have nothing to compare to, so will be completely satisfied in the first instance. It is the way of the world.

Paul Rhodes03/09/2022 09:24:03
81 forum posts

NDIY Perhaps Daedalus envisioned the granite surface plate crushing both hands rendering him unable to type.

Personally I am grateful that he recognises that it would be polite to close the thread with some feedback.

Speaking again in that capacity I would prefer “wooly” to “sharp”…..

Daedalus03/09/2022 15:07:29
30 forum posts

NDIY,

Everything else measurement wise that I have is either Mitutoyo, Moore and Wright or Starrett.

However as retirement is here shortly, with the economies a pension will bring I am being a little more careful with the cash. Apart from which I will be selling my lathe, a round head Colchester Triumph for something more modern and smaller. So if I can get away with saving some money that can go to a decent new lathe and milling machine probably around the 10-12K each mark, then I will. As we will be downsizing, I am pretty well positive that I won't find a house with the 3 phase I put in here 30 years ago. So will probably be selling off a pedestal grinder and Fobco pillar drill as well, undecided if I should get rid of the mill/drill as I rather like it.

Reporting back is not just dependent upon the Dasqua stuff being good or bad, first impresions are positive. It depends on a whole lot of other stuff going on as above.

So if anyone wants a roundhead Triumph with a really good not abused and little used Pratt 3 jaw chuck (over £1000 now for the chuck) for £1,200 please leave a reply in the thread.

Dalboy03/09/2022 16:14:35
1009 forum posts
305 photos

As a novice I own a variety of measuring tools from my trusty M & W micrometer which has been with me through all of my plant mechanic years as well as a Mitutoyo caliper set. I have however purchased some of the Dasqua tools and I am pleased with them

john fletcher 103/09/2022 16:45:56
893 forum posts

Before you get rid of your Pedestal grinder and Fobco pillar drill what about locating the Star point in the motors, wire them in Delta, then with the aid of a few capacitors you could run both as normal or nearly normal. The grinder and drill are usually of intermittent use. Alternative 240 volt coils are available for the motors. Just a thought. John

john fletcher 103/09/2022 16:51:37
893 forum posts

Back again to correct my error, in last but one sentence above, it should have been Alternative 240 volt coils are available for the motors starter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate