By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

noga deburring tool

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Reginald Johnson 118/08/2022 16:50:28
9 forum posts

I just purchased genuine noga deburring tool complete set qualty tool quick easy to use highly recommed

Bruce Voelkerding18/08/2022 17:32:53
77 forum posts
7 photos

I purchased a Noga NG-1200 Rotodrive Countersink. (I believe the 1200 is the size I bought, ~10mm diamerter). I highly recommend it. It works much better than the Blade style, but limited to 10mm Holes. The Countersink measured 45 degrees per side. I believe you can buy larger diameter Heads.

noel shelley18/08/2022 18:30:14
2308 forum posts
33 photos

NOGA. Wonderful little tool. Noel

Reginald Johnson 118/08/2022 20:05:48
9 forum posts

sorry for spelling error senior partner head teacher was not pleased

Hopper20/08/2022 03:20:49
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Is the genuine NOGA tool better than the cheap generic copies that seem to be everywhere? I have one of those and it seems to work OK but not something I would rave about. Maybe the original is the best?

not done it yet20/08/2022 09:51:07
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Hopper on 20/08/2022 03:20:49:

Is the genuine NOGA tool better than the cheap generic copies that seem to be everywhere? I have one of those and it seems to work OK but not something I would rave about. Maybe the original is the best?

I expect they are better. At least the quality is likely better controlled - something that is pot-luck with clones made in china and sold cheaply. Whether, in some cases, they are better value might be another matter…

noel shelley20/08/2022 10:16:32
2308 forum posts
33 photos

For a half way house buy the cheap handle and genuine noga blades/cutters ? Noel.

Vic20/08/2022 11:40:24
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Are these any good for holes in round bars? I’ve thought about buying a Noga for just this purpose but the price put me off a little in case it didn’t work.

Vic20/08/2022 13:25:49
3453 forum posts
23 photos

I’ve pulled the trigger on a Noga set with 3 different blades. Any recommendations for blade types and good places to buy them? Do other brands like the SwissBurr blades fit the Noga handle?

David Senior20/08/2022 13:54:19
30 forum posts
8 photos

Used this style of thing for many years but only recently discovered you can buy blades for left-handed people (like me)

Dave

SillyOldDuffer20/08/2022 16:56:30
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 20/08/2022 09:51:07:

I expect they are better. At least the quality is likely better controlled - something that is pot-luck with clones made in china and sold cheaply. Whether, in some cases, they are better value might be another matter…

NDIY's wording strongly suggests he doesn't know! He expects and assumes but hasn't actually compared a genuine Noga with a clone.

I don't know either!

I've got a similar-to-Noga, it's not a clone. The handle looks and feels slightly cheap but the blades work OK and I haven't broken it yet. I don't use it heavily, which matters. I've found expensive tools are worthwhile mostly when they are frequently worked hard. Because that rarely happens in my workshop I usually buy mid-range tools, and they're fine. I only go upmarket if a mid-range tool proves unsatisfactory. Can't remember the last time it was necessary, but my lightly loaded workshop doesn't push tools hard. And I take a strongly pragmatic view of tools: I buy them to do a job, and don't cherish them. Very different from a friend who enjoys owning the best tools money can buy. His workshop is clean and tidy, mine isn't!!!

Anyone used a Noga side by side with a cheaper equivalent?

Dave

David George 120/08/2022 17:15:22
2110 forum posts
565 photos

I have two NOGA'S one has a slim aluminium hexagonal handle and the second has a thick holow section plastic handle with a removable end for the storage of diferent cutters and a plunger to release the cutting blade. I have had both for over 50 years and use them all the time eavan since leaving work. When we first saw them as a toolmaker we were very sceptical about them but now I think you can't knock a NOGA. They still have the original blades and will last me out.

David

Bill Phinn20/08/2022 20:30:57
1076 forum posts
129 photos
Posted by Vic on 20/08/2022 13:25:49:

Do other brands like the SwissBurr blades fit the Noga handle?

I generally use my Noga BC1040 Rotodrive cutting head in a Shaviv Mango IIE handle. I sometimes also use it in a SwissBurr Universal handle with an E-holder. The second set-up gives you an adjustable, longer reach.

I can't see any reason why the right (i.e. having the appropriate mounting dimensions) Swissburr and Shaviv blades would not fit the Noga handle. However, I don't own any Noga handles.

Edited By Bill Phinn on 20/08/2022 20:35:37

not done it yet20/08/2022 21:49:55
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 20/08/2022 16:56:30:
Posted by not done it yet on 20/08/2022 09:51:07:

NDIY's wording strongly suggests he doesn't know! He expects and assumes but hasn't actually compared a genuine Noga with a clone.

I don't know either!

I've got a similar-to-Noga, it's not a clone. The handle looks and feels slightly cheap but the blades work OK and I haven't broken it yet. I don't use it heavily, which matters. I've found expensive tools are worthwhile mostly when they are frequently worked hard. Because that rarely happens in my workshop I usually buy mid-range tools, and they're fine. I only go upmarket if a mid-range tool proves unsatisfactory. Can't remember the last time it was necessary, but my lightly loaded workshop doesn't push tools hard. And I take a strongly pragmatic view of tools: I buy them to do a job, and don't cherish them. Very different from a friend who enjoys owning the best tools money can buy. His workshop is clean and tidy, mine isn't!!!

Anyone used a Noga side by side with a cheaper equivalent?

Dave

Quite right Dave. My clone works Okay, but as I posted, you can be taking pot luck with cheap chinese stuff. It was clearly a lot cheaper than a Noga. I may have been lucky, but if I had bought the real McCoy, and it not worked as well as expected, I would have been disappointed - because manufacture would (or at least, should) have had some quality controls in place. ‘Better’ in my context was that of the potential overall purchase - risk or reduced risk of the outcome. Superior or buy twice, maybe.🙂

Vic21/08/2022 10:15:03
3453 forum posts
23 photos

This looks to be such an exact copy of the Noga, how do they get away with it?

SillyOldDuffer21/08/2022 11:57:22
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Vic on 21/08/2022 10:15:03:

David George says he's owned a couple of Noga deburrers for about 50 years. In most countries patents only last for about 20 years, so the idea has been fair game for decades.

Patents try to balance giving a fair return to the inventor without blocking others for too long. The development and roll-out of the steam-engine was famously delayed because Boulton and Watt had to get round a patent on the crank held by James Pickard. Today, I don't think Pickard would have been allowed to patent the crank because it was prior art even in his time, but the law allowed it then. It was evaded by the Sun and Planet gear invented by William Murdoch, and patented by James Watt, because Murdock was an employee.

Trouble with patents is they often delay progress by stuffing up better technical solutions simply by getting the patent paperwork done first. Alexander Graham Bell was accused of bribing US Patent Office employees to delay competing applications until his was ready. He certainly didn't invent the telephone!

On the subject of cheap imports, the expression 'On the Fritz', comes from the USA, where between 1900 and 1914. allegedly cheap rubbish made in Germany was bought in preference to allegedly top quality US made goods. It could be a slur - progaganda. Whether German stuff was actually cheap and nasty before WW1 I don't know, but I always suspect the quality vs rubbish argument is rolled out whenever less expensive goods arrive on the market. Better I think to compete by reducing costs by increasing productivity than to expect customers to cough up money in hope expensive items are automatically superior. Of course it's much easier to claim quality advantages rather than make the painful changes needed to increase productivity.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 21/08/2022 11:58:58

Vic21/08/2022 12:55:50
3453 forum posts
23 photos

I understand the patent issue, I’m just surprised it’s such an exact copy? Others make handles that are clearly the same type of thing but at least they changed the colour etc.

SillyOldDuffer21/08/2022 16:04:37
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Vic on 21/08/2022 12:55:50:

I understand the patent issue, I’m just surprised it’s such an exact copy? Others make handles that are clearly the same type of thing but at least they changed the colour etc.

Shady isn't it. Noga are based in Israel and Vic's first example describes itself as an 'Israeli Craft-Burr Removal Tool'. It's actually a close copy made by a Chinese company (Starvast), . The second has 'swiss+burr' on the handle and I'd bet the farm it wasn't made in Switzerland. I don't trust brand names much!

Anyone rich with time to spare prepared to buy a genuine Noga and the two similar deburrers found by Vic and brutalise them together to see how long they last? As the test would cost under £40 writing the comparison up as a MEW article would cover the cost.

Dave

David George 124/08/2022 08:12:42
2110 forum posts
565 photos

My NOGA from early 1970,s still with original cutters well used. I can't find my single aly pencil type one perhaps it was borrowed at work.

David

20220824_075722.jpg

Pete.24/08/2022 11:29:09
910 forum posts
303 photos
Posted by Vic on 21/08/2022 10:15:03:

Probably too much trouble to even try, but in my opinion the companies deserve it for moving manufacturing to certain places that are known for doing this yet they deem the risk worth it to increase profits.

The one in your picture looks different to the real ones.

I have one of these 'fake' Noga tools that's just a real one without the logo, they are produced in the same molds as the real thing, only without the logo on it, see pic below, does removing the logo reduce the quality? Not to me.

Noga

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate