Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Rob Roy coupling rods

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dalboy15/07/2022 17:43:04
1009 forum posts
305 photos
Getting back to where I was with the coupling rods on the Rob Roy and ready for final machining one of the jobs is to make some bushes for them (Except the centre ones as I have made those) Now for the question I notice on the plans that the rear rods have bushes in them but the front do not show any, all it shows is a recess for the washer to hold it on with a 4BA screw.
Has anyone built the Rob Roy and did you add a bush in the front rod or leave it as steel on steel.
Saxalby15/07/2022 17:50:50
187 forum posts
33 photos

Hi, My Rob Roy has bushes on all the rods.

Regards

Dalboy15/07/2022 19:21:57
1009 forum posts
305 photos
Posted by Saxalby on 15/07/2022 17:50:50:

Hi, My Rob Roy has bushes on all the rods.

Regards

Thank you I just thought it strange not to have them on all but the front two

Rex Hanman15/07/2022 21:27:02
121 forum posts
3 photos

I would have to check but I'm pretty sure that I bushed it! Crazy not to!

Out of interest I will have a look, but I'm away tomorrow. On Sunday it is entered into our club efficiency competition, I will try to look then.

Nick Clarke 316/07/2022 08:26:08
1607 forum posts
69 photos

This is taken from the original magazine. The bushes are clearly on the drawing although it only says there are two of them, not three and the text does not add more except the drill sizes to get a running fit without reaming - which sounds a bit scary to me!

rods.jpg

MichaelR16/07/2022 09:07:19
528 forum posts
79 photos

Derek, This build log may be of interest Link lots of pictures of Rob Roy build it does show bushes in the coupling rods.

MichaelR

Dalboy16/07/2022 09:07:54
1009 forum posts
305 photos

Thank you Rex and Nick.

Nick it was the one on the left I was talking about as you can see the centre and rear(On the right) one clearly shows bushes.

I think I will drill and fit one on the front as well after comments here and on another forum, the reason in the book for drilling the front and rear for a slightly over size hole is to allow for uneven running on the track. The centre one however is reamed to the pin

Thank you MichaelR for the link I have looked through it but it does not really show if he added bushes to the front only shows the retaining washer which he made from brass or similar material

Edited By Derek Lane on 16/07/2022 09:22:59

Robin King16/07/2022 11:04:30
137 forum posts
1 photos

I've just had a quick read of the construction book - page 28 in the paperback edition - last 2 paras cover it.

After checking/adjusting the initial drilled hole positions on leading and trailing holes in the rods Martin describes drilling out to letter N, reaming 5/16" and fitting bushes 'as drawings'. The drawing doesn't clearly show a bush on the leading end but the text does read as though they are intended to be bushed. The idea of running steel on steel makes me shudder!

Dalboy16/07/2022 12:02:52
1009 forum posts
305 photos
Posted by Robin King on 16/07/2022 11:04:30:

I've just had a quick read of the construction book - page 28 in the paperback edition - last 2 paras cover it.

After checking/adjusting the initial drilled hole positions on leading and trailing holes in the rods Martin describes drilling out to letter N, reaming 5/16" and fitting bushes 'as drawings'. The drawing doesn't clearly show a bush on the leading end but the text does read as though they are intended to be bushed. The idea of running steel on steel makes me shudder!

And that is the problem either the book is incorrect or the plans yet they were done by the same person. And as the book stated

"and fitting bushes 'as drawings" and as the drawing don't show a bush in that hole in either the book or plans.

As it is I have decided to put them in regardless after reading all of the comments here and on another forum

Edited By Derek Lane on 16/07/2022 12:08:19

Perko716/07/2022 12:04:00
452 forum posts
35 photos

Looking closely at the drawing, it seems the front hole is bushed, but the bush is housed in a 1/16" deep counterbore in the face of the rod, presumably so it clears the slide bars on the cylinder? In this case the bush would need to be 1/16" shorter than the other two as well.

You are right though that the text on the drawing implies only 2 bushes per rod.

Dalboy16/07/2022 12:13:17
1009 forum posts
305 photos
Posted by Perko7 on 16/07/2022 12:04:00:

Looking closely at the drawing, it seems the front hole is bushed, but the bush is housed in a 1/16" deep counterbore in the face of the rod, presumably so it clears the slide bars on the cylinder? In this case the bush would need to be 1/16" shorter than the other two as well.

You are right though that the text on the drawing implies only 2 bushes per rod.

If you examine the drawings the front one does not show the dotted line for a bush like the centre and rear one. Yes it is counterbored for a washer and countersunk screw so as to allow clearence for the connecting rod

Dave Halford16/07/2022 13:57:58
2536 forum posts
24 photos

It's not like people don't forget stuff when pushed for deadlines whilst using a stencil typewriter.

Nick Clarke 316/07/2022 18:11:54
1607 forum posts
69 photos
Posted by Dave Halford on 16/07/2022 13:57:58:

It's not like people don't forget stuff when pushed for deadlines whilst using a stencil typewriter.

Remember that at this time drawings were redrawn by the house draftsperson (at one stage the future Mrs Evans) introducing another opportunity for things to be missed.

Rex Hanman16/07/2022 19:36:32
121 forum posts
3 photos

It rather depends how you read the text on the drawing. To me it means 2 coupling rods, one off left hand and one off right hand, both with bronze bushes. I don't read it as meaning only 2 bushes. It would be less confusing if the term "2 OFF" didn't appear twice. Put the bushes in, we all know it makes sense!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate