Ady107/07/2022 09:45:45
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Interesting development

**LINK**

Peter G. Shaw07/07/2022 10:15:27
1531 forum posts
44 photos

Not sure I like the idea - seems too much like rows & rows of identikit housing for the plebs, although I can see the attraction for undeveloped places.

Hmmm.

Peter G. Shaw

Grindstone Cowboy07/07/2022 10:23:53
1160 forum posts
73 photos

Possibly OK for warmer climes, but from what I've seen of the process, there's no scope for damp-proofing or insulation, at least at this stage. And not much in the way of reinforcement, either.

Rob

Thor 🇳🇴08/07/2022 07:30:11
1766 forum posts
46 photos

We would need proper insulation to be able to use such a house during winter, but as Rob says possibly OK for warmer climate like Madagascar. I didn't detect the use of rebar in the concrete layers or are my old eyes failing me?

Thor

JasonB08/07/2022 08:02:10
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Simple change to the mix and you could be printed with an aerated concrete so walls would give similar U values as celcon type block.

Easy enough to alter the CAD and CAM to print two skins rather than one so additional insulation can be added to the cavity.

Fibre reinforcement in the mix would probably allow you to build without rebar

Would think someone could run round after a few layers have been printed and roll out a DPC then the next layer just gets printed on that. Waterproofing additives or an external skin would take care of weathering.

not done it yet08/07/2022 09:30:06
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Fibre reinforcement in the mix would probably allow you to build without rebar

Quite likely stainless steel needles could be included in the mix as reinforcement - both fibres and steel needles are options in readymix concrete.

No reason why twin skins with a third middle core of insulation could not be devised in a further development of the machine.

However, I feel the modular, or prefab, route is more likely to gain ground in the UK. Plenty of development in this sector already.

Ady108/07/2022 09:44:39
6137 forum posts
893 photos

I would think a steel/concrete prefab would be cheaper and a lot simpler

But it's an interesting approach

Bazyle08/07/2022 10:09:06
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Don't assume the example here is the only one. There must be ten thousand videos on youtubr etc of other builds. Certainly some take advantage of the technology to print thin skins with an extra wide cavity to take maybe 8 inches of insulation. The big problem is you can't get good design though building regs in most western countries.
Currently it is 'trendy' to show the layers to show it is printed but soon they will add a skimmer to smooth off the outer face for rain shedding.

The biggest problem is obsession with printing which leads to it being used when other methods are more appropriate. With few exceptions in a 3rd world area it is better to use local labour, local materials, and no fancy tech.

Oldiron08/07/2022 10:11:21
1193 forum posts
59 photos

Here in Corby we have a new factory being built. House Fabrication. Link is to local paper report.

regards

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate