Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Former Member19/08/2021 09:32:29

[This posting has been removed]

JasonB19/08/2021 13:10:45
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

As nobody else has replied here goes

A lot here will offset the topslide but there are also a good number like myself who plunge straight in and as you have a reasonably hefty machine I see no real reason not to unless it's a very coarse thread in which case you can still go straight in but move the tool slightly sideways for each pass with the topslide (set parallel to lathe axis).

BTW for a 60deg thread form the topslide would be set to about 29deg ie just under half the angle, 26deg is used for 55deg form threads

Also be aware that a partial form insert will need to be fed in further than a full form one.

Emgee19/08/2021 13:18:08
2610 forum posts
312 photos

I do as Jason, even on an Emco 5 lathe which is very much lighter than your Harrison L5, I normally use full form inserts for external metric threads from 0.50mm to 1.50mm pitch but for imperial sizes just a 55 deg tool with a minimum nose radius.

Emgee

old mart19/08/2021 18:51:09
4655 forum posts
304 photos

A lot of people with smaller lathes do angle the topslide to lower the forces when cutting threads. I would advise that you do not until you have more experiance. If you cut fine pitch threads, say 1.75mm or less, then the added force will not be too big. Each thread should be cut in multiple passes, with the increase in cutting depth getting less at each subsequent pass until you are creeping up on the finished size. I personally never offset the topslide, even for 5tpi threads, but I have the luxury of a Smart & Brown model A which is heavier built than most.

Martin Kyte19/08/2021 19:15:12
3445 forum posts
62 photos

Why 27 degrees. Tad under 30 I would have thought.

regards Martin

Former Member19/08/2021 20:09:18

Former Member19/08/2021 20:12:44

Phil super719/08/2021 20:42:37
24 forum posts

I do the same as "Old Mart" and I have a Myford never had a problem cutting threads, last cut i always repeat 2 or 3 times to allow for tool "spring"

John Reese19/08/2021 21:58:52
1071 forum posts

For coarse threads it s best to flank feed the tool. On medium pitches ether flank feed or plunge feed is acceptable. On fine threads plunge feed is preferred.

Definitions:

Plunge feed is feeding with the cross slide.

Flank feed is done with the compound. The compound is set 1/2* or so steeper than the trailing flank of the thread. The idea is to do the major amount of metal with the leading flank of the tool. Th trailing flank takes a very fine cut to prevent steps in the thread form.

Is it possible you are cutting a 1.25mm pitch? 1.25 tpi is an extremely coarse thread, not one I would expect in model engineering?

not done it yet19/08/2021 23:16:09
7517 forum posts
20 photos

For coarse threads …

And this thread IS a coarse one!!!🙂

dw dw 2 wrote: Its an external thread 1.25tpi,

A typo, maybe?🙂

John Reese20/08/2021 02:57:48
1071 forum posts

A 1.25 tpi would have a lead of 0.8 inches. My 16" lathe will not cut that coarse a thread. I figure it was a typo

JasonB20/08/2021 07:21:40
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

He also said in the post above that it is 1.25 metric in response to the comment about pitch

Mike Hurley20/08/2021 10:23:12
530 forum posts
89 photos

Recently I had to cut numerous various sized threads in steel & brass, Metric and imperial using both HSS and Inserts. My lathe is only a moderate sized bench job. I ended up using a variety of methods both straight plunge in and angled compound slide ( the angle isn't that critical - it's only there to ensure the cut only takes place on one side of the tool so reducing the loading )

Overall, I couldn't really see much difference between any of them! Maybe my standards aren't as high as some guys on here, but essentially as long as the thread is the right size and fits the job as I want, I'm happy.

My only advice, echoing old mart's comment, is to carefully reduce the in feed the deeper you get - may seem tedious but try to keep the feed to quite small amounts ( as long at it still cuts as opposed to rubbing ) that way you should get a good finish and accurate thread form. Like most things, the more you practice the better your results will be.

p.s because I can't get a slow enough speed on my machine, all threads were hand-cranked.

regards

jann west20/08/2021 10:33:56
106 forum posts

From the annals of things which aren't quite right, but do work ...

If you don't want to offset your crossslide, you can fudge it by feeding in at 90 degrees in combination with advancing 1/2 of that amount in the direction of travel. This has the effect of approximating a 30 degree feed, but still keeping your "depth" on the crossslide and at 100% of actual depth of the thread. Plus you retain the advantage of keeping the load on the advancing edge of your threading tool.

It's not kosher, but it works!

Former Member20/08/2021 20:09:14

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate