By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for jann west

Here is a list of all the postings jann west has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Saving Money in the Workshop
07/05/2023 10:48:10

fold your own replacements? **LINK**

Thread: Possible use of ALDI car battery charger as a bench power supply
03/05/2023 18:44:30

Probably possible, but not as straightforward as an older style "stupid" battery charger.

Hate to say it, but if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do it - the internal smarts aren't your friend.

there are better low-cost bench power substitutes - e.g. older PC powersupplies

Thread: Rivnut Tool
17/04/2023 15:56:27

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mandrels/6235662

Thread: Can you identify this mill?
09/02/2023 17:00:46

what a strange old duck - looks shop made! likely either a piece of garbage OR a bargain for the right person who can inspect and has a specific need it meets. Can't see how to change the tool(holder) from the top! If it suits, this might be a better buy: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285132338165

Thread: Anyone got a Rhubarb clump still going?
14/01/2023 12:41:18

We planted a few when we moved into our new house in 2018 (we are 44 fyi) ... bough the rhizomes from the local DIY/Hardware/Nursery. Most lived (boggy ground) - going to lift them this spring into raised beds.

Thread: Hobbing on horizontal mill
23/11/2022 17:46:28

I can't recall the post, but I imagine it would be with a few steppers and a rotary table assembly.

Something like this for small gears, with a tailstock, to hold the blank, driven by a stepper and an ardiuino to move to the next tooth:

https://www.shars.com/5c-spin-index-fixture

(true craftspeople might also include a lock for each indexing activity, to secure the milling activity - perhaps pneumatic?)

And something else to traverse the table? perhaps another (stepper or conventional) motor with two limit switches?

Probably also some coolant.

Doesn't seem like rocket surgery.

Edited By jann west on 23/11/2022 17:48:13

Edited By jann west on 23/11/2022 17:50:41

Thread: VW Tiguan battery charging
12/11/2022 14:03:07

Some newer smart chargers don't handle very flat batteries well ... I recently experienced a totally flat battery (left the car door ajar ... my newer "smart" battery charger wouldn't touch it (too dead!), but my older "dumb" charger (which just pumps 13-whatever volts into it without thinking) worked and brought it back to life.

Thread: Buying from the EU
21/07/2022 09:58:08

If you knew someone in the Netherlands they might be kind enough to take delivery, place the charts in a document envelope, and post (or courier) them to you as documents. No Vat, no admin, quite quick.

I live in Amsterdam - you can msg me if you want.

Also, not sure where you are going, but you can download openCPN and cmaps (via bittorrent) for a worldwide mapping solution on your laptop - got me from the French Mediterranean to Amsterdam via the UK. Even works with an AIS receiver if you have one.

Thread: AN UNFINISHED PROJECT !
26/05/2022 18:30:51

If memory serves me Youtube's thisoldtony built an overarm support for his Schaublin 13.

You might find the video informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7Mwd6ey6g

Good Luck.

Thread: Best way to cut mild steel sheets
26/05/2022 10:59:37

"The workpiece in the question is just 45 mm long / wide."

DingDingDing we have a winner - for the single most essential piece of information, which took 15 comments before it was disclosed.

See Hopper's answer - mini hacksaw and file.

26/05/2022 08:41:55

seems like there's more ways to cut sheet steel than with a end mill ... Plasma cutter, water jet, laser ... google suggests that there are metal nibblers available from amazon that will do 2mm sheet steel.

Thread: Galvanic Corrosion
01/05/2022 09:47:21

Dismantling - a combination of heat, penetrating fluid, light percussion, and patience tends to work.

To reassemble use the "yellow paste" (Duralac) liberally. You might also consider alternative thread inserts like helicoils or rivetnuts.

(Used) automatic transmission fluid is a superior penetrating fluid.

Source - I own an aluminium boat.

Thread: Recommend a small lathe(and mill)
28/04/2022 17:35:09

If you are looking for the smaller end - go for the Chinese kit - it's surprisingly capable, and can be had 2nd hand from ebay and gumtree with some patience and a car.

My personal issue was ability to move things myself, in an estate car, with a engine hoist. I ended up with a 10x22 lathe and a 30x8 mill. I spent about £2k inc. a reasonable selection of far-east tooling.

My wish list looked very different, but this was a good compromise for me.

Thread: Need a pen to draw the "finest possible" lines?
18/04/2022 12:22:19

Memory lane reminds me of a few other things - the rapidographs on drafting film required special edges on their drawing tools (rulers, set squares, etc.) which had a step ... essentially so that the ink wouldn't smudge underneath the ruler edge - which occurred if the pen nib was against a flush ruler edge.

Also - really fine/small drawings were typically drawn oversize and reduced in the aforementioned calibrated photocopier.

Source: Family business was drafting patent drawings.

18/04/2022 10:31:37

This is kinda antiquated technology - but ...

The pen you need is a rapidograph. Rotring (used to? probably still do) make them, also faber castell. You can probably get them on ebay 2nd hand.

The pens are finicky.

The "paper" you need I can't recall the name of, but it is plastic, matt, and opaque with a fine texture. On this material the ink from the pen can be erased. try googling drafting film.

To get the drawing onto paper one photocopies the line drawing. If precision is important, a special photocopier is used, which is calibrated by hand for accurate reproduction.

Thread: An ER32 MT5 collet holder
16/04/2022 08:59:03

As much fun as making your own tools is, this will almost certainly be better, quicker, and cheaper purchased (and probably hardened to boot!).

And, as others have said, ER is specifically designed to hold cutters.

Thread: Gasless MIG welding
28/03/2022 09:23:43

For a single job your best bet would probably be to fit up the work and take it to someone who has the gear and does it regularly. It'll be cheaper than buying a poor setup, quicker than learning a new process, and better quality overall.

Alternatively - you can purchase a cheap oxy acetylene setup with small consumer bottles - but the learning curve is steep. Tig or mig both require you to have a shielding gas and a new rig. Gasless mig isn't really a fit here for various reasons. MMA with small electrodes and a steady hand might be possible (but I've never tried it and probably will look a little rough)

If you're in London you could sign up for a welding course at CNWL, and bring the work with you to do in addition to the course - they used to be fine with that within reason, and the instructors would advise/help on personal projects. Other technical colleges might do similar. The gear is good, and you learn a new process.

Thread: Engineering tuition recommendations
22/03/2022 11:49:37

College of North West London (CNWL) also used to have a metalwork program - lathes, mills welding and sheet metal fabrication, etc.

Thread: Parting tools and inserts
23/02/2022 10:35:56

Tip for new players: Carbide insert parting tools which are not held perfectly perpendicular to the axis of rotation of the piece will shatter after a certain amount of infeed with 100% regularity.

Ask me how I know this!

I think my toolpost was left a degree off after cutting some threads - and I wasted 4 inserts before I worked it out. Never making that mistake again!

Thread: Learn to use a metal lathe
15/02/2022 14:35:36

College of north west london https://cnwl.ac.uk/ offers various courses (starting from zero experience) in metalwork (either using a lathe and mill or welding and fabrication). They aren't perfect, but they are relatively inexpensive and worthwhile.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate