Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

record no 22 vice jaw replacement

supplier part no information

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Vickery15/06/2020 11:04:29
16 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Guys does anyone have experience of replacing jaw plates for this model 22 vice. My search of the internet has drawn a blank?

Regards John

not done it yet15/06/2020 12:10:35
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Hi John,

Do you have 4 of these vises?🙂

The Record name now belongs to Irwin. You might still draw a blank for parts for your vise.

Steviegtr15/06/2020 12:12:17
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Or you could make some.

peak415/06/2020 12:22:46
2207 forum posts
210 photos

Try messaging industry65 on ebay.

I know he makes vice jaws to order out of heat treated tool steel, but have no idea on prices or turnround time, particularly if delayed due to lockdown etc..

Bill

not done it yet15/06/2020 13:37:10
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by peak4 on 15/06/2020 12:22:46:

Try messaging industry65 on ebay.

I know he makes vice jaws to order out of heat treated tool steel, but have no idea on prices or turnround time, particularly if delayed due to lockdown etc..

Bill

Alternatively, there is a section on the forum dedicated to ‘help and assistance’ which may contain some leads?

Trevor Drabble15/06/2020 14:35:05
339 forum posts
7 photos

Cromwell Tools supply replacement jaws ( part no SEN 5671040K ) to suit their 100 m/m vice at £24.60/pr + VAT .

Journeyman15/06/2020 14:36:36
1257 forum posts
264 photos

The Record No.22 is pretty much similar to my No.3 except it has a quick release. The hard jaws are just held in by 2 large countersunk screws. These are likely very tight, you need a large screwdriver if it doesn't fit the slots it will damage the screw head. If no suitable screwdriver use a short suitably sized bit of flat bar, put it the screw slot and just pinch up the vice to hold it in place then apply an adjustable spanner. I have replaced my jaws with aluminium. Every now and then I re-surface the jaws.

vice1.jpg

The old hard jaws can be seen on the vice slide. Aluminium is much less likely to mark work and seems to hold just as well as the vicious serrated originals. Can't say I recommend the swivel base don't think I have ever used it and it gets in the way of long bits held vertically.

This is a link to the re-furb of an old No.22 vice.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 15/06/2020 14:40:51

larry phelan 115/06/2020 18:51:05
1346 forum posts
15 photos

When I saw the price of new jaws for my 6" Record vise, it was just as well I was sitting down.

Needless to say, they have not been replaced, and yes, those screws are very difficult to remove. I often wondered if Allen screws would not be a better idea ? However, still have to get the old ones out !

peak416/06/2020 02:31:06
2207 forum posts
210 photos
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 15/06/2020 18:51:05:

Needless to say, they have not been replaced, and yes, those screws are very difficult to remove. I often wondered if Allen screws would not be a better idea ? However, still have to get the old ones out !

Larry, do you have any impact driver bits or similar. If not, you could always make one.

Slide a ring spanner over the bit, engage it in the screw head, and tighten up the vice jaws to hold it in place; firmly but don't swing on the handle.
The opposing jaw will (hopefully) keep the bit engaged, to save it rounding the screw slot.

Apply pressure, or a mallet to the spanner, remembering of course which direction the bit is facing.

Bill

John Vickery16/06/2020 10:02:26
16 forum posts
1 photos

Hi guys thank you for your replies good news the old screws have been removed and new jaws are on order.

Best Regards John

Mikelkie16/06/2020 10:32:03
135 forum posts
13 photos

I use a hefty allan keys (14 mm) carefully ground to to a purpose fit held in the drill press using a wrench to undo field coils from their housing..a thought

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate