Percival Marshall Speaks - Model Engineering Video

Something to listen to and watch.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt13/04/2020 18:16:51
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
The 1930s recording of Percival Marshall (founder and long-standing Editor of Model Engineer magazine and the Society of Model and Experimental Engineers in 1898) was mentioned recently.
As a pure sound file doesn't get much interst these days (sadly!) I've created a video from a whole series of clips and covers fo MEW and ME over the years.
The quality varies with the camera being used (some clips are nearly 20 years old) but i hope folks find it entertaining.
I find PM's little 'fireplace talk' as relevant now as when it was recorded.
Neil
not done it yet13/04/2020 18:58:18
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Well done Neil! At least one person I recognise in the clips.

DC31k14/04/2020 09:00:52
1186 forum posts
11 photos

Would it be possible to download and archive the sound clip on the Stub Mandrel website?

Until you made the video, the only place it could be found was on the http://www.neme-s.org/ website, and it is not currently to linked on that site. Try and find it yourself on neme-s.

It was only the excellent tip off in the other thread, pointing to its original mention in a further old thread that lead to it seeing the light of day.

Things on the net are not permanent, so the more places they are, the more likely they are to survive. There is another thread on here mentioning an article on Schlesinger limits by a South African guy which can no longer be found (I believe it was somewhat turned into an article for MEW). If this were also located again, it would be good to host it.

Michael Gilligan14/04/2020 09:28:39
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by DC31k on 14/04/2020 09:00:52:

Would it be possible to download and archive the sound clip on the Stub Mandrel website?

Until you made the video, the only place it could be found was on the http://www.neme-s.org/ website, and it is not currently to linked on that site. Try and find it yourself on neme-s.

It was only the excellent tip off in the other thread, pointing to its original mention in a further old thread that lead to it seeing the light of day.

[…]

dont know

I’ve just tried the old link, and it works fine for me : **LINK**

http://www.neme-s.org/Percival_Marshall/Percival%20Marshall.wav

MichaelG.

Edit: ___ and further investigation will get you here:

http://www.neme-s.org/Percival_Marshall/

... which seems a little odd; because clicking ‘parent directory’ then takes you to the home page [where there appears to be no link available]

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 14/04/2020 09:58:19

ega14/04/2020 10:54:36
2805 forum posts
219 photos

Neil

Thank you for this. Who could quarrel with being described as the salt of the earth?

Ed Duffner14/04/2020 11:13:40
863 forum posts
104 photos

Thank you Neil.

At 4.19 the video shows a tool and cutter grinder. Is this of a particular design perhaps? or a self designed/made tool?

Ed.

DC31k14/04/2020 11:16:17
1186 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 14/04/2020 09:28:39:
.. which seems a little odd; because clicking ‘parent directory’ then takes you to the home page [where there appears to be no link available]

That is my point. You know where to look so you can confirm it is still there. But if you did not know, how would you go about finding it?

It is only through someone's chance remembering of your old, old posting that it has been found.

Try and find your original post as if you did not know it was there. In theory 'percival marshall site:model-engineer.co.uk' should eventually find it but you have to sift a lot of material.

Try and go at finding the audio file cold using the best Google-fu you have. If the file just sits on a server with no other page linking to it, it is almost impossible to find.

I suspect it used to be pointed to from the neme-s homepage, which is how you found it a long time ago, but that the neme-s page has been edited and the link removed.

Emgee14/04/2020 11:39:35
2610 forum posts
312 photos
Posted by Ed Duffner on 14/04/2020 11:13:40:

Thank you Neil.

At 4.19 the video shows a tool and cutter grinder. Is this of a particular design perhaps? or a self designed/made tool?

Ed.

Looks like a Quorn to me.

Emgee

ega14/04/2020 11:49:42
2805 forum posts
219 photos

Isn't that D A G Brown operating the Quorn?

Edited By ega on 14/04/2020 11:50:15

KWIL14/04/2020 12:04:19
3681 forum posts
70 photos

Yes it is Derek.

Michael Gilligan14/04/2020 13:39:44
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by DC31k on 14/04/2020 11:16:17:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 14/04/2020 09:28:39:
.. which seems a little odd; because clicking ‘parent directory’ then takes you to the home page [where there appears to be no link available]

That is my point. You know where to look so you can confirm it is still there. But if you did not know, how would you go about finding it?

[…]

I suspect it used to be pointed to from the neme-s homepage, which is how you found it a long time ago, but that the neme-s page has been edited and the link removed.

But we all know where to look now angel

... and if we keep discussing it then it might eventually show-up on the search engines

MichaelG.

Dennis WA14/04/2020 14:14:26
79 forum posts
5 photos

DC31k writes above: There is another thread on here mentioning an article on Schlesinger limits by a South African guy which can no longer be found (I believe it was somewhat turned into an article for MEW). If this were also located again, it would be good to host it.

The article is : "No limits: George Schlesinger" by Alan Bester.

MEW No 246. Autumn 2016

Neil Wyatt14/04/2020 14:27:33
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Yep, Derek with his Quorn.

I'll see about putting the clip on my website.

Neil

Neil Wyatt14/04/2020 15:23:36
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

OK!

The video and and MP3 version of the audio can be accessed here:

www.stubmandrel.co.uk/model-engineering/176-percival-marshall-speaks

If you want to download, rather than play the audio you will need to right click the MP3 file link onb that web page and choose save as.

Hopefully it will soon start to be discoverable on Google etc.

I suppose his recording is effectively a 12930s podcast!

Neil

DC31k14/04/2020 16:25:44
1186 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Dennis WA on 14/04/2020 14:14:26:

The article is : "No limits: George Schlesinger" by Alan Bester.

MEW No 246. Autumn 2016

Thankyou. I know of this one but would have to buy a back issue to see it. I would like to locate a copy of the original pdf that was on the website. I mentioned it as well more as an example of the non-permanence of internet stuff.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate