Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Do your bit and help each other

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve King 520/03/2020 20:15:26
86 forum posts
95 photos

Its troubling time we are going through at the moment, some of us on hear are old and some are not so. So if you need help or can offer help just ask. Self isolation doesn't mean isolate from been a good person.

Keep safe

Ian Skeldon 220/03/2020 20:29:31
543 forum posts
54 photos

Hopefully we will all come out the other side of this horrible situation in good health. I am doing ok and I am happy to help others where possible.

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 20/03/2020 20:30:02

Former Member20/03/2020 20:41:57
1329 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

martin perman20/03/2020 20:48:33
2095 forum posts
75 photos

Our attached next door neigbours have never been on our friendly list, mainly because of their young elephants, sorry sons, we pass the time of day but thats about it until yesterday when i felt old and humbled after reading a note pushed through the letter box from the mother offering to do shopping and anything else we needed, sometimes the best comes out when you least expect it.

Martin P

Nicholas Farr20/03/2020 21:16:09
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi, well today I've helped my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren, by securing a dozen toilet rolls for them, mind you, I had to be out by the time Tesco's opened and there weren't many left even then.smiley

Regards Nick.

Nigel Graham 220/03/2020 23:15:14
3293 forum posts
112 photos

I've had two notes though my door, with offer of help a phone call away. One was from next-door-but one but the other from a lady living right down at the end of the street, who must have canvassed everyone. Either that or she knows me better than I know her.

Could be she's a member of the WI so has met me at their monthly public coffee-mornings - I must ask my neighbour!

Steviegtr20/03/2020 23:27:41
2668 forum posts
352 photos

I suppose that is one of the good things of these sort of forums. You can always have a chat about any old thing. I do & usually get told off, but it's still a great forum. Personally I have only been out of the house 4 times in the last fortnight. Someone in our street has got the dreaded. Self isolating. I was at Tesco today for what it was worth. Talking to a Lady stacking shelves & asked her what on earth is going on with people. She said I have no idea, the world has gone mad. Most of the store was bare. It's times like this when you find out who the caring people are & who are the (every man for himself) comes into play. Take care everyone.

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 20/03/2020 23:27:55

Speedy Builder521/03/2020 07:27:57
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Nick, didn't that defeat the object of letting the aged folks in first ??? OK if your family are "health workers" and can't get to the shops. Tell the family to tear up newspaper like we used to do and hang it on the back of the bog door on a piece of string!

Nicholas Farr21/03/2020 07:46:34
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi S/B, it was within what Tesco's quantity allowed and I could have gone to one or two more places to find more if I was being selfish, besides my son-in-law is in a category of the "at higher risk" group, so I make no apology. Maybe older folk have had more experience of tearing up newspaper, so shouldn't be phased so much about it, even I can remember newspaper squares hanging on a piece of string during the tail end of rationing.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 21/03/2020 08:00:11

Mike Woods 121/03/2020 09:19:16
41 forum posts
1 photos

I agree that newspaper is a good alternative to toilet paper, BUT dont flush it down the toilet after use, bag and bin it. Same goes for the use of hand tissues, wet wipes, kitchen roll, or in our community blue workshop roll. Toilet paper is formulated to quickly pulp in water, other papers dont. Last thing we need in these troubled times is for our sewage system to be clogged up by a sudden surge of of the wrong kind of paper. You local water providers will have a list of do not flush items on their web sites.

Not sure about how septic systems would cope, but earth closets would be okay.

Who remembers the shiny rolls with each sheet marked "GOVERNMENT PROPERTY", horrid stuff.

Edited By Mike Woods 1 on 21/03/2020 09:23:48

larry phelan 121/03/2020 09:36:17
1346 forum posts
15 photos

Martin,

You might be surprised where help comes from in time of need [By the way, young elephants can be such friendly things !!! ] Friends do not always appear from the expected direction, as I know.. Respond, take up the offer, remember "No man is an island"

I still do turns for some old folk around here who don't get out much, but then, I,m only 81 and still driving, so it,s no be deal.

Reach out, this will pass.

JC5421/03/2020 20:35:53
154 forum posts
14 photos

I am a carer for a disabled wife , I suffer from COPD after pneumonia and have really been amazed at the offers of help (via phone and email ) that I have recieved in the last couple of weeks. Many thanks to those caring neighbors.

John, (founder member of the grumpy old gits society).

Former Member21/03/2020 20:45:42
1329 forum posts

Former Member21/03/2020 20:49:19
1329 forum posts

JC5422/03/2020 21:58:21
154 forum posts
14 photos

.Hi Bill, no need to wait to sign up. The membership fees are two toilet rolls and a tin of tomatoes..wink

John

Kiwi Bloke22/03/2020 22:58:50
912 forum posts
3 photos

Here in NZ, things haven't really taken off with a vengeance. Yet. Neighbours opposite have just returned from two weeks somewhere in Africa with their children. They are self-isolating, as advised. However, granny, who lives locally, is being helpful, seeing the kids, etc.. Her car has been outside for hours on several days...

Living truly isolated is going to be exceptionally difficult. Please try to be a bit more intelligent than our neighbours.

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 22/03/2020 22:59:24

Windy22/03/2020 23:33:01
910 forum posts
197 photos

I have always tried to be independent but am looking like an old crock.

The kindness shown by neighbours. friends and strangers is very moving.

In times when everybody is at risk World wide it's amazing how the good of the human race is coming forth.

martin perman23/03/2020 08:04:38
2095 forum posts
75 photos

I have a good friend who thinks this current problem is nothing to do with him, he and his wife have just been to Dorset last week for a break, yesterday they spent the day with his Daughter and her family and couldnt understand why our Daughter and her family and us have decided to stay apart.

Martin P

Howard Lewis23/03/2020 12:47:56
7227 forum posts
21 photos

There is a pronounced tendency not to think logically, analyse the situation, and so over react..

Unless a person has a serious health issue, the chances of dying from the virus are fairly low.

We just need to be careful, and behave sensibly

The media like to make a good story, so think very carefully about what they tell you, and the parallels that they draw.

Oranges are not apples, despite what some would have us believe.

As Corporal Jones says "Don't panic"

Howard

Cornish Jack23/03/2020 14:11:32
1228 forum posts
172 photos

Mike Woods1 - Government Property toilet paper was standard issue for the Services. It had qualities unlke any other and would have easily substituted for 600 grit sandpaper. One of the peculiarities was that each sheet contained a small printed square in one corner. Crew room chat pondered on this for a while until one wag suggested that it was included so that Civil Servants could use it to put a tick mark to indicate it had been used!!

The non-Government version was Izal - similar quality!

The particular advantage of using newsprint is that it is serving its most appropriate function!

rgds

Bill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate