By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Super Steel epoxy
21/11/2022 21:34:43

Thank you Jason and Ramon

20/11/2022 20:43:07

Having looked through this and related posts on here along with looking at the content direct to via links I am convinced it is at least worth getting some of this stuff in and trying it, so thank you to all that contributed showing their practical use of this glue.

Quick question is it the red or the blue pack that has the highest strength (in practice not on paper etc,) and where can it be bought from?

Many thanks,

Ian

Thread: New knee nut for Tom Senior
23/07/2022 21:22:13
Posted by old mart on 14/07/2022 20:36:19:

14 months after Ian Skeldon 2 tested my threading tool for his Myford VMC, I shall be making the 1" X 5 ACME nut for the knee of the museum's Tom Senior light vertical. Probably just in time, the original nut has only 1/4 of its thread width left. This job also entails raising the main body of the mill 25mm to add to the Z axis height. The price of a slab of steel or aluminium 25mm thick was more than I wanted to pay, so I got a length of channel section mild steel cheaply and Alan milled the top and bottom down to the required 25mm. The channel will sit flat side upwards in two sections under the main pillar and 3" BSF bolts will hold everything down. The Z screw is plenty long enough to accomodate the extra height. I spent several hours getting the knee to move the full distance without binding or becoming loose, and now it is right, the gib screws will not be monkeyed with. I will post some pictures soon when the threading gets done. The original nut has an integral flange which would make it very expensive to make, I will bore it and loctite the new one inside.

Ahh yes and a very fine tool it is OM, although I didn't realise at that time that I was the test pilot. My home made VMC nuts are still going strong and it was only possible for me to make them due to your willingness to let me borrow your tool to which I am extremely grateful.

Thread: Where to buy dowel pins in small quantities
19/07/2021 18:03:38
Posted by John Hinkley on 19/07/2021 10:27:02:

Whoops! Should've gone to Specsavers!

I think my wife is right - I AM going do-lally.

John

I didn't notice until Jason spotted it, I blame brexit laugh

19/07/2021 18:02:23
Posted by JasonB on 19/07/2021 10:04:23:
Posted by John Hinkley on 19/07/2021 09:16:22:

There is an advertiser on eBay who is offering 7/16" x 1" dowel pins

They should be a nice tight fitwink

HAHA well spotted Jason, that made me smile.

Thread: 6 inch bench grinder
19/07/2021 09:28:34

Hi David,

Is that a specific grinding machine with the diamond wheel intended to be fitted? I am not sure that a similar wheel would fit onto my simple bench grinder but I will check out the dimensions, many thanks for your help.

Ian

Thread: Where to buy dowel pins in small quantities
19/07/2021 09:12:44

Could you use drills cut and ground to length?

Thread: 6 inch bench grinder
18/07/2021 20:56:21

Hi,

Thanks for the help so far.

DG1, My intention is to grind a relief angle on the cutting edge of a large carbide insert, for some reason it comes without any clearance angle? This may work well in a large industrial lathe but not so well in my lathe hence the desire to alter it slightly.

I was thinking that maybe a diamond wheel would be the best route but wanted to see what the general opinion was first as they tend to be pretty expensive.

Thanks to all for suggestions,

Ian

17/07/2021 20:04:28

Hi,

I seek your advice please. I own a reasonable 6 inch bench grinder, I now want to grind/profile some tungsten tools and I know that the standard aluminium oxide wheel wont work. I think I read somewhere that I need a green wheel?

Thank you,

Ian

Thread: advice old British motorcycle
07/07/2021 13:33:52

Gentlemen, thank you very much, seeing the photos and reading your advice and experiences has put a big smile on my face. I will do some further researching but will let you all know what I eventually buy, the 5K budget may have to be a bit flexible but I can't take it with me so what the hell.

Best wishes,

Ian

06/07/2021 11:40:48

Hi,

I have a hankering to buy an old British motorbike, BSA, AJS, Triumph etc. The intention is to take it out for short runs on dry days, I would prefer it to be four stroke and it would be nice if I could stick the boss on the back. I have a full MC licence so capacity and cylinder count can be whatever.

I would definitely want something that has some spares available as I don't think for one minute that I could make dynamos etc should the need arise. I don't wish to sell body parts to fund it, so nothing over 5k.

What would your recommendation be and why?

Thank you,

Ian

Thread: Myford VMC Mill new nuts
30/06/2021 21:07:34

Hi OM,

Glad the tool arrived home safely, it really works well. I hope you also found a spare insert in amongst the packaging? If not you need to check the packaging, it's in there somewhere.

My sincere gratitude for letting me borrow the tool OM.

Best regards,

Ian

Thread: My ambitions
27/06/2021 15:09:13

Hello mate and welcome to the forum. I know best part of bugger all about steam things but a lot of the lads on here are very knowledgeable and very helpful.

Thread: Your assistance requested
27/06/2021 14:58:49

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your help. 20 turns of the leadscrew produced a travel of 2 1/2 " so it looks like it is indeed a 7/8 dia by 8 TPI leadscrew. I have now reassembled the lathe and it is much better, half nuts fully engage and stay there. Initially I was concerned by the amount of backlash still in the train and chased that back to the roll pin, fitting a new one has cured that so it looks like it could be a useful machine now that all of those snags are ironed out.

Many thanks again to everyone for their help.

Ian

26/06/2021 19:59:17

img_20210626_142745.jpgHi,

Thank you for the input gents. I have downloaded the various information available, thanks for the link DC13.

As far as I can determine the leadscrew is either 7/8" dia or 22.05mm so I guess it's 7/8" When it comes to pitch though it does look like it's 3mm pitch or 8 and a bit TPI ?

I have stripped the lathe down completely and chased the leadscrew threads that were rough, I don't want them wearing the nuts out. Further examination was required so I took the carriage apart and straightened out the carriage hand wheel shaft. It now travels down the bed from tail to head nice and silky smooth.

I found screw cut engagement was not reassuring so I stripped out the half nuts, the photos below show (1) how badly the carriage was assembled in manufacture, that screw was put in before the hole for the other screw was drilled, crazy as there is enough room for it to have been drilled where it couldn't interfere with the first screw.

The second photo shows how the screw holding the half nut bronze sleeve to the casting, was just a bit too long so the leadscrew could not be engaged to the full thread depth.

DC13 the dials are both metric and imperial, The default thread pitches are imperial, the leadscrew indicator is just the usual 1 - 4 and a line in between each of the numbers. I am afraid that I don't understand the language translation gear bit?

The grizzley manual says that has a 7/8" leadscrew and 8 TPI, as I say mine has 8 and a little bit per inch.

img_20210626_142846.jpg

25/06/2021 22:12:17

Hi,

Sorry for the second posting but I intended to edit the first and found that I am unable to do so.

Could I ask anyone owning a recently bought Chester Craftsman (or very similar Chester lathe) if you could please measure the diameter of the lead screw and the pitch or TPI and let me know what they are.

Mine was bought very recently from a previous owner who had it for only 18 months, however in that time he has either performed some poor attempts to repair the damage he has done to the leadscrew or the leadscrew is a very poor example of one sent from the factory.

I think I can repair it satisfactorily but have found the leadscrew that is fitted is a little odd and may not be the original one, Mine would appear to be 7/8 diameter and 8 tpi but I can find no documentation to let me know what the dimensions of the original leadscrew should be to confirm if this is the original or a replacement leadscrew.

Many thanks in advance.

Ian

25/06/2021 20:45:46

Hi,

Could I ask anyone owning a recently bought Chester Craftsman (or very similar Chester lathe) if you could please measure the diameter of the lead screw and the pitch or TPI and let me know what they are.

Mine was bought very recently from a previous owner who had it for only 18 months, however in that time he has performed some very poor attempts to repair the damage he has done to the leadscrew.

I think I can repair it correctly but have found the leadscrew that is fitted is a little odd and may not be the original one, I can find no documentation to let me know what the dimensions of the original leadscrew should be.

Many thanks in advance.

Ian

Thread: Myford VMC Mill new nuts
16/06/2021 15:47:46

Hi OM,

The tool arrived today, it's very impressive, I am not sure how you milled out the tool seat? maybe that could be an item or topic for Neil to publish?

I will hopefully take some photos as I go along, Once again many thanks.

Ian

12/06/2021 16:51:44

Hi Duncan, I will take a further look at the possibility of a UK Nut, even one from USA if I must.

But I will very gratefully accept Old Marts kind offer and PM him.

Nigel I am a bit busy working shifts at the hospital at the moment but will send you details maybe even the tool itself and a quick you tube showing what to look for and do.

In the mean time, thank you to everyone for their ideas and offers of help.

Best regards,

Ian

Thread: Yet another scam
11/06/2021 21:14:40

I had the same thing many months ago, knowing from the start that it was scam I played along with it and acted like I had really poor knowledge, I made him tell me where to find the keys and then I said things like "oh I am really worried what if I catch the virus and things like I can see that on the window screen etc" I struggled not to laugh at how stupid my replies were and could here him getting more and more frustrated. Then I just said, by the way mate I worked in IT and almost all of the events shown in event viewer can be ignored, plus I have configured my firewall so that t***s like you can't cause any harm. His reply was very very colourful and all the more funny because of he strong accent haha I hope they phone again at some point.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate