Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Super 7 lubrication

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam Lawrence05/03/2020 11:34:15
17 forum posts
4 photos

Hi, so I have the Super 7 running, yeehaa, having a quick look at the manual and see that I should have an "oil gun". The internet seems a bit silent about this, I'm seeing an official Myford one for 80 quid (!), is there a cheaper way of getting oil in there - will a standard oil can do it?

Thanks

John Haine05/03/2020 11:45:39
5563 forum posts
322 photos

The Myford oil gun is more like grease gun and famously leaky. You need a pressure gun to oil where there are grease nipples (DON'T use grease), and an ordinary oilcan for everything else.

Steviegtr05/03/2020 11:59:46
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Yes you need an oiling gun. Picture of mine. Cannot remember where I bought it. I think it was about £13. It seems to work ok. Depends on year of machine , but mine circa 1977 it even gets into the pulley bearing under the headstock cover. By rotating the pulley by hand it comes to a small cut out in the rear of the large pulley to the far left .

Steve.oiling gunoil gun 2

Sandgrounder05/03/2020 12:06:46
256 forum posts
6 photos

This is a previous post of mine to another thread re' Myford oiling

"After having had two oil guns sold as suitable for a Myford lathe ( neither came from RDG, Myford or any of the main suppliers) which did not work I decided to try something else, from eBay I bought for £7 inc' P & P a used Interlube pump type grease gun, I filled it with Nuto 32 and pumped any remaining grease out on a piece of wood, refilled the gun and did all but one of the Myford nipples with no problems at all except a small amount of oil weeping past the guns filling cap, this I cured with a plastic plug and 'O' ring to provide a seal which wouldn't have been required for grease, the only nipple it won't oil is the one in the 'V' cone pulley, the end fitting on the gun is a little too big, I haven't got around to that yet as I very rarely use the back gear."

Martin of Wick05/03/2020 12:10:38
258 forum posts
11 photos

You could try Pressparts, their pressure oiler is considerably less leaky than the official version and the price retains contact with reality.

link **LINK**

Sam Lawrence05/03/2020 12:43:14
17 forum posts
4 photos

Thank you! Ordered the Pressparts version.

Steviegtr05/03/2020 16:49:12
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Just had a look & yes it is the same as pressparts. It comes with 2 different size nozzles.

Steve.

john fletcher 105/03/2020 17:46:50
893 forum posts

I use an cheep diecast oil guns as supplied with some cars and mopeds years ago, which are frequently seen at car boot sales for pence. If the spout doesn't fit really tight, put a piece of clean thin rag across the oil nipple and pump the oil through it. This was sort of normal practice in the motor trade years ago. Also Nuto 32 is hydraulic fluid as used by farmers, earth moving equipment and boats. Around here we can take an empty milk carton and have it fill for a couple of pounds, worth looking around, or a group buying a gallon and share it out. John

Mark Gould 106/03/2020 10:59:08
231 forum posts
131 photos

Sam,

Do yourself a favour and click on the link https://haythornthwaite.com/184%20Myford%20Lubrication.pdf

it’s an excellent guide to lubrication of your Myford.

Mark

Colin Heseltine06/03/2020 14:44:02
744 forum posts
375 photos

The Haythornthwaite document is very good, keep a printed and laminated version by the lathe.

Was looking for another pump gun so as to have one with Vactra No. 2 and the second with Nuto 32 so have just ordered one of the Pressparts ones.

Colin

Peter Spink06/03/2020 20:20:47
126 forum posts
48 photos

Interesting and useful document.

Against all my instincts I've heard that one should oil the clutch on the S7.

I've never lubricated the clutch on my S7 and it's not been a problem in the 25+ years that I've owned it.

Photo 5 in the document shows an arrow pointing at the clutch but no reference in the text that I can see.

So what's the answer?

Steviegtr06/03/2020 20:54:34
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Yes the bronze clutch assembly needs lube. Release the clutch arm to disengage. This opens the gap on the bronze plate. Place a few drops in there & release. Mine was noisy last week, a few drops fixed it. You would think it would make it slip but does not.

Steve.

Sam Lawrence09/03/2020 12:49:31
17 forum posts
4 photos

That linky was super useful thanks. Unfortunately my oil gun won't fit into pictures 8 and 9, I assume that 8 is just lubricating the pulley wheel on the shaft?

Harry Wilkes09/03/2020 13:54:13
1613 forum posts
72 photos
Posted by Steviegtr on 06/03/2020 20:54:34:

Yes the bronze clutch assembly needs lube. Release the clutch arm to disengage. This opens the gap on the bronze plate. Place a few drops in there & release. Mine was noisy last week, a few drops fixed it. You would think it would make it slip but does not.

Steve.

I'd second Steve's remarks I do mine no issues to date.

H

Martin Kyte09/03/2020 14:26:19
3445 forum posts
62 photos

If they get dry the go SCREEEEEK when you engage the cluch.

Martin )

Sam Lawrence09/03/2020 15:33:02
17 forum posts
4 photos

I did the clutch, nothing really changed so I suppose it already had a bit on there.

As a ML8 user of 15 years in the day job, I cannot believe how smooth the super 7 tailstock is now it is well oiled. Like silk!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate