By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Spink

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Spink has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Arceuro
15/08/2023 20:01:32

You’re very lucky!

Royal Mail is a disaster in our area - stuff going missing, unreliable deliveries.

Unfit for purpose.

Thread: What did you do today? 2023
29/05/2023 16:24:41

ControlsAfter 25+ years of twiddling the x - axis handle on my Sharp mill, completed a project to build a power feed.

Utilised a stepper motor and controller from an abandoned job and incorporated an electromagnetic clutch to allow manual feed.

Covers are 3d printed.

Controller is old school - made with discrete gates before Arduino appeared on the scene!

Drive with cover removed

Thread: Inverter help
19/05/2023 22:00:00

I fitted my Fobco drill with a three phase motor and VFD years ago.

My advice:

Leave the belt on it’s slowest speed and incorporate a speed pot in a new control unit.

Forget the existing fwd/reverse switch and, if you need reverse, include a suitable switch on the control panel.

Wire the input to the VFD via a fused spur/fcu so it can’t be unplugged.

Thread: Easy power tailstock feed for your lathe
09/05/2022 23:44:47
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 09/05/2022 09:31:15:

Neat idea!

I think I'd rather use a tapping-head for that, though -

Assuming a lever feed, is it possible to use a tapping head in the tailstock?

Thread: Lever operated tailstock attachment Myford
08/03/2022 22:15:05

I have the rack version on mine - wouldn't be without it!

Thread: Smart meter
22/01/2022 20:03:38
Posted by Mark Rand on 22/01/2022 19:41:09

However, I suspect that without legislation, contract terms or a court order, disconnecting a domestic user's supply would be illegal.

Quite so.

With medical kit and freezers etc. this would never get past first base.

Not that I'm inclined to get a not so smart meter. The only advantage would have been the option of low tarif at times of low demand. No chance of that now!

22/01/2022 19:16:56

Quote <firstly a smart meter can disconnect the customer any time that the supplier wishes to reduce the loading on the supply circuit to . . . . . >

How?
I stand to be corrected, but does a smart meter incorporate a contactor or a solid state device that can cut off an 80 A supply?

Thread: Flexispeed Lathe
14/10/2021 09:45:33

Robert,

You have a PM.

Regards,
Peter

Thread: Routing
08/10/2021 19:01:18
Posted by JasonB on 08/10/2021 15:56

As for skirting I tend to use the SCMS to do a mitre cut and then follow the line where the mitre cut meets the flat front face with a hand saw for the straight part and a coping saw for the scribed moulded part. Add a little back cut as you do it for a nice tight internal corner

Done lots of scribed internal corners on skirting - wish I'd thought of that! 👍

Thread: 'Puter upgrade recommendations
28/07/2021 13:22:53

As has been mentioned your setup doesn't look too bad!

I'm running F360 on a Win 7 machine with 8GB ram, dual monitors and Intel built in graphics.

Even though Autodesk says Win 7 is unsupported, it runs perfectly well, occasionally slow if it has to do something complicated to do.

I would be looking elswhere for a bottleneck before buying a new machine.

Thread: AA batteries
27/07/2021 13:58:59
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 26/07/2021 23:11:22:

Some rough measurements using digital calipers . . .

Do you now have lots of flat batteries? devil

Thread: Flintlock pistol plans
17/06/2021 19:59:48
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 17/06/2021 18:47:56:

You don't actually need a licence for a functioning muzzle loader of "antique" design.

I think you'll find you do - any functioning muzzle loader be it of modern design or a modern 'antique' lookalike would be a section 1 firearm.

If it were a genuine antique (like a pair of duelling pistols)  it would be exempt from licensing - the definition of 'antique' is open to interpretation but think of pre 1850 ish.

Firearms law in the UK is a complete can of worms.

Edited By Peter Spink on 17/06/2021 20:23:50

Thread: Gas Fitting
11/04/2021 21:02:16
Posted by David Noble on 11/04/2021 20:39:03:

Does anyone know if I am 'legally' allowed to disconnect a gas cooker with a bayonet fitted flexible hose?

Thanks, David

Yes you are - that's what it's there for 👍

You should not, however,  install a new cooker in its place as that would involve fitting a hose to the new cooker and commissioning it, which  should be done by a Gase Safe registered engineer.

Edited By Peter Spink on 11/04/2021 21:06:54

Thread: Myford ML7 Chucks - Which one?
05/02/2021 16:23:21

That looks nice!

I was in a similar position a few years ago - inside jaws very worn and belmouthed but outside jaws as new, so now have the luxury of a new (TOS) 3 jaw and an old dedicated chuck with just the outside jaws - saves a lot of faff changing the jaws over!

Thread: RPi (or something) to connect to VPS over OpenVPN
02/02/2021 22:54:46

Great stuff, glad you're sorted! yes

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
30/01/2021 08:14:33
Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 29/01/2021 23:59:24:

Out of interest Peter what type of filament did you use for the bracket? I would think it would get hot so close to the engine, maybe hot enough to melt PLA?

I'm just getting into the world of 3D printing, my new toy, the Ender 3 V2 can use PLA or ABS, I'm using PLA at the moment because that's all I've got

Nice engine by the way

IanJ

It's PLA Ian, hopfully being water cooled it shouldn't get hot enough to melt it - time will tell!

29/01/2021 23:35:48

Horses for courses!
3D printed bracket for cam belt cover/timing set up.

Cam cover bracket.jpeg

Timing marks.jpeg

The rest the old fashioned way.

Thread: RPi (or something) to connect to VPS over OpenVPN
22/01/2021 23:12:47

I've been running a Pi with Open VPN for a couple of years.

Got all my info from here: **LINK**

Thread: Cura 4.8
19/01/2021 20:57:44

Many thanks for the input folks - lots to learn!

Peter

19/01/2021 15:01:51

Basic problem is that looking at a You Tube video on how to modify supports in Cura, I don't have the icons on my screen that the guy doing the demo has - and I can't find them even though it's supposed to be the same version!

Many of us brought up on PCs or Macs can navigate our way around all sorts of different software quite easily and then we come across some software written by someone who's thrown all the standard UIs out of the window!
I may try an earlier version - thanks for the suggestion Steve but I'm looking elsewhere at the mo.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate