Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

The Diamond Tool Holder

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Lousick20/01/2019 07:15:21
2276 forum posts
801 photos

A Youtube video showing the many features of the Diamond tool holder made by Eccentric Engineering. I have had one for a number of years and reccommend them.

Very easy to use and sharpen with the supplied jig. I did not know that it could also be used as a vertcal shear tool to produce a very fine finishing cut (about 4 minutes in from the start of the video).

Paul.

**LINK**

the artfull-codger20/01/2019 08:32:02
304 forum posts
28 photos

Excellent tools,ive I've got them on both my lathes, first saw them in ME years by Des Burke but couldn't afford one then,foreward a few years and a bit better off and I bought one from America and the robbing customs stiffed me up, I bought the next two (lh and rh)when in ozz, Gary is a splendid chap to deal with,ironically I'm in ozz now and need another for a lathe I bought just before coming here and not sure of the size so will have to get it when I'm back in the UK.

Michael Gilligan20/01/2019 08:44:36
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Thanks for posting that Iink, Paul

... Couldn't really ask for a better demonstration star

MichaelG.

John McNamara20/01/2019 09:14:46
1377 forum posts
133 photos

I also have two of them

Great tool easy to sharpen

Regards
John

Howi20/01/2019 09:21:36
442 forum posts
19 photos

made my own, saved a fortune cheeky

Simon Collier20/01/2019 09:28:26
525 forum posts
65 photos

I have 3 R and one L hand. Makes me wonder why so many seem wedded to tipped tools.

Thor 🇳🇴20/01/2019 10:37:45
1766 forum posts
46 photos

I have made two of them, excellent tools. I use them for finishing cuts.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 20/01/2019 10:37:58

not done it yet20/01/2019 11:13:42
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by the artfull-codger on 20/01/2019 08:32:02:

Excellent tools,ive I've got them on both my lathes, first saw them in ME years by Des Burke but couldn't afford one then,foreward a few years and a bit better off and I bought one from America and the robbing customs stiffed me up, I bought the next two (lh and rh)when in ozz, Gary is a splendid chap to deal with,ironically I'm in ozz now and need another for a lathe I bought just before coming here and not sure of the size so will have to get it when I'm back in the UK.

Why not list the lathe and ask for the appropriate size from someone, anyone, somebody on the forum who has that combination, or even for the tool holder height and capacity? Can’t do worse that getting no repies! Fora are good for things like that.

duncan webster20/01/2019 11:18:27
5307 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by the artfull-codger on 20/01/2019 08:32:02:

.... and the robbing customs stiffed me up, ......

I was prepared to pay the duty, it was the handling charge I objected to. The poor postman was a lot flummoxed when I told him I wasn't paying and he should send it back to the seller. After a few minutes with smoke coming out of his ears he just handed it over and left. As everyone else says, a excellent tool

the artfull-codger20/01/2019 12:04:09
304 forum posts
28 photos

Good idea "not done it yet" should have thought of that before, downside is I'm going back home in 2 weeks time so can't risk it not coming here in perth before I return to uk,yes Duncan the duty was bad enough but the post hacked me off I felt better purchasing 2 more from ozz and bringing them home.

ega20/01/2019 12:09:25
2805 forum posts
219 photos

Watching the (exemplary) video again I was initially puzzled by seeing the chip on the left hand thread coming from the trailing flank; on reflection, this is because it is a right hand tool with negative rake on the leading flank.

I have one of these, sized so that it can be used on both my lathes. One limitation on the Myford with GHT four way toolholder is that the downward projection of the toolbit prevents rotation of the toolholder. Of course, the DTH is so versatile that it could still be used effectively in a simpler toolholder like the Gibraltar.

duncan webster's experience reminds me of an anecdote about the poet Wordsworth: in the days when the addressee paid the postage on receipt he saw a poor, old woman having to refuse a letter for want of the postage and was surprised to have his offer of help paying this declined; when the postie had gone on his way, she explained that her son in America sent her an empty envelope each month so that she would know he was well!

Raymond Evans20/01/2019 12:14:51
3 forum posts

Hi,interested in all the good comments made about the tool. Had a look on their website. Looks like they've got a UK distributor - for info.

Vic20/01/2019 12:32:02
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Yes, I bought mine years ago from the UK supplier, no need to pay import fees. I’ve also made my own, not difficult on the mill. I also made an “improved” sharpening jig for use on my belt sander. 90% of my turning is done with a tangential tool and I’ve got some carbide rod I use in one of mine for turning hard stuff like HSS.

Howard Lewis20/01/2019 12:52:55
7227 forum posts
21 photos

saw an article in MEW about making one for 1/8 toolbits, and made one. So pleased made another for 5/16, and finally bought RH and LH ones at the last Doncaster Show.,

Sharpening is easy and quick, and the results are excellent. Can thoroughly recommend them to anyone wondering about buying!

Howard

duncan webster20/01/2019 13:39:23
5307 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 20/01/2019 12:52:55:

saw an article in MEW about making one for 1/8 toolbits, and made one. So pleased made another for 5/16, and finally bought RH and LH ones at the last Doncaster Show.,

Sharpening is easy and quick, and the results are excellent. Can thoroughly recommend them to anyone wondering about buying!

Howard

save me searching, where's the article in MEW, I want one for my Cowells

Clive Foster20/01/2019 13:53:00
3630 forum posts
128 photos

ega

If downwards projection of the toolbit is an issue with tangential holders the simple answer is to switch to an Armstrong style!

As the video linked in the first post implies, but doesn't actually state, at the cutting edge tangential and armstrong tool holders are functionally identical devices. The only primary difference is that the armstrong bit requires two grinds for most tool shapes whilst the tangential bit gets away with one. If you have the grinding jig. The armstrong bit also consumes its cutting edge at every grind so it gets narrower and shallower over time whilst the tangential tool regenerates the edge in the same place with every grind. Of course an armstrong bit does not need a jig, although a simple angled fence can be helpful, and sharpening on the front of the wheel using the hollow ground method is trivially simple.

The real genius behind the Eccentric Engineering tangential toolholder was the realisation that the toolholder and uber simple sharpening jig combination added up to a price / performance / perceived value ratio corresponding to a successfully marketable product. Realising that there was also a touch of "new to this generation" novelty to provide serious marketing impact and keep the idea fresh was important too.

Well done that man. Seriously. Heck I almost bought one.

Fact is an equivalent simple, one universal angle, sharpening jig can be devised to use with armstong holders. With equally effective results given a simple half page instruction sheet explaining the hollow grind on front of the wheel method and how to hone the tool to keep it sharp. Possibly a footnote on packing up for various rake angles too. Which pretty much don't matter for the home shop guy so long as the thing is sharp and has some clearance.

But no one has ever made a go of a lathe tool sharpening jig for home shop guy. Southbend tried but theirs was too clever and too complex. Good tho'. Price / performance / perceived value being all wrong for a commercial product especially with everyone saying its dead easy to grind an ordinary tool. Which it is if you have someone to show you but un-mentored and working from books is a different matter if things don't click quickly. Especially if you don't know how much of a cut you ought to be able to peel off with a sharp tool. I've yet to see a written description of basic lathe tool sharpening that rates better than not very good from the solo novice viewpoint.

Doesn't help that the Americans never officially seemed to twig that the rocker in their obnoxious lantern tool posts is unnecessary when an armstrong is used. Simply roughly shim and change the tool bit projection for fine height adjustment. So the poor old armstrong system got tarred with the lantern brush.

Clive.

Edited By Clive Foster on 20/01/2019 13:54:32

not done it yet20/01/2019 14:01:45
7517 forum posts
20 photos

I don’t know the difference in costs, but I simply ordered mine from Tania. Lovely lady to deal with - and Gary’s sister, so it keeps the monies (apart from taxes) in the family. Look for UK distributor on EE’s website.

ega20/01/2019 14:55:27
2805 forum posts
219 photos

Posted by Clive Foster on 20/01/2019 13:53:00:

... obnoxious lantern tool posts ...

Thanks for your comments - always worth reading.

I have some of the Armstrong type toolholders although I think they are intended for use in a lantern tool post and certainly won't fit the GHT toolpost. I will give them a go on my larger lathe, however.

The DHT remains a very attractive proposition for all the reasons you mention.

PS your "board on a batten" in the cross vice thread reminded me of the similar arrangement I use with my bench vice when I want to get closer to the job.

Harry Wilkes20/01/2019 15:37:29
1613 forum posts
72 photos

Paul

Yhanks for the post I didn't know the tool could be used as a vertical shear tool smiley

H

Vic20/01/2019 15:52:13
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Height setting is quick and easy with a tangential tool once you make a gauge. See the picture in my album.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate