Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

A true 'beginners' lathework book?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
choochoo_baloo10/07/2017 16:55:08
282 forum posts
67 photos

I seek recommendations for a thorough, truely beginner friendly book on general lathe work; for those of use who have no formal engineering training/apprenticeship, and whose careers are not in mechanical engineering.

I have had "Lathework: a complete course" by Harold Hall for a while, but agree with a significant number of amazon reviews that criticise his often muddled prose, poor images, poor image referencing etc. Basically not that helpful for a true beginner.

Therefore to avoid (hopefully) similar disappointment with another supposedly beginner lathework book, I thought it sensible to seek recommendations form the wise hobbyists on this forum this time round wink

To get the ball rolling: LH Sparey's book seems better reviewed than Hall's. Though apparently it dives in with assumed terminology?

Lambton10/07/2017 17:01:43
694 forum posts
2 photos

By far the best book for a beginner to turning is Using the Small Lathe by L.C.Mason.

Eric

John Haine10/07/2017 17:46:50
5563 forum posts
322 photos

L C Sparey "The Amateur's Lathe"

Gary Wooding10/07/2017 17:51:52
1074 forum posts
290 photos

The book that I can thoroughly recommend is the one that got me started - The Amateur's Lathe by L.H.Sparey. ISBN 0-85242-288-1

Bob Stevenson10/07/2017 18:25:31
579 forum posts
7 photos

Another vote for 'The Amateurs Lathe' by LH Sparey........

It's an old book now but in continuous reprint for 70 years for the very good reason that it is pretty much the best lathe use manual (although I agree 'Small Lathe' by Mason is another good classic)

Unfortunately, 'The Amateurs Lathe' is let down now by the ancient B/W illustrations which Mr Sparey shot himself circa 1947.......However it's now a cheap book, my latest copy was only £2.80 brand new edition about two months back from an internet book trade source. Everything the new lathe user wants to know and much more beside is in the book and the writing is 'workmanlike' and sensible as one would imagine from a book that has had three publishers and near 30 reprintings.

There is some stuff in the book that modern amateurs need not read as very few will want or need to work their lathe by foot treadle, however, many golden nuggets on every page to make the amateur more skilled with each reading...thouroughly recomended as they say in book reviews!

I.M. OUTAHERE10/07/2017 19:39:10
1468 forum posts
3 photos

+1 for the mason and sparey books !

Another reasonable offering is how to run a lathe by southbend.

I don't know about Harolds prose being muddled or of any issues with his photography the book seems fine to me .

I think the book was more angled at some one with some basic experience on a lathe not the total newcomer .

Even if you had read every book ever written on lathe work it won't make you a good machinists it can only point you in the right direction - practise makes perfect .

Be cautious of any speeds and feeds in some lathe operation books as many of those are for industrial machines and not for the home shop machines as they are much lighter in construction .

SillyOldDuffer10/07/2017 19:55:05
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

I don't think there is a single book that meets choo-choo's specification. The excellent Sparey is probably the closest but it's rather dated (no indexable tools etc.) There are some decent Mini-lathe centric books about (including one by Neil Wyatt, which will obviously be brilliant ). I like Machine Essentials, which covers more than lathes. The Southbend Manual has many fans too.

I'd suggest reading a selection; technical books often complement each other and the answer sometimes emerges after reading two or more. Camden Books have a long list of workshop titles.

Dave

Iain Downs10/07/2017 20:49:37
976 forum posts
805 photos

I'd like to be awkward and suggest an adventure in technology!

Seriously, you can learn as much and more from you tube as from books. Don't get me wrong, the books are helpful and I have the Hall, the Sparey and the Wyatt.

However, a lot of the things I've learned have been by looking at things on you tube. The benefit of the video approach is that you can see the dynamics of what's going on. There are downsides; the operators are usually running better than hobby equipment; they tend to be proper experts who will do things which are hard without realising it (or explaining in detail); it can take a long time to watch the video over a few minutes to read the page; there's a LOT of dross out there.

But it's worth looking into. Just as an example, I've just done a search on parting off - something most of us find a challenge - and got hundreds of hits. I might look at some now in fact.

(link if the above does not come through is **LINK**)

Iain

Iain Downs10/07/2017 20:54:49
976 forum posts
805 photos

**LINK**

Was interesting and a LOT of fun.

Iain

Bob Stevenson10/07/2017 21:47:51
579 forum posts
7 photos

.........Did'nt Stan Bray do a nice beginners lathe book?........or is my memory 'at it again'..?

David Standing 110/07/2017 21:59:12
1297 forum posts
50 photos
Posted by Bob Stevenson on 10/07/2017 21:47:51:

.........Did'nt Stan Bray do a nice beginners lathe book?........or is my memory 'at it again'..?

Basic Lathework, no 45 in the Workshop Practice series?

David Standing 110/07/2017 22:01:29
1297 forum posts
50 photos

And Stan Bray also did 'Introducing the lathe', published by PSL.

MW10/07/2017 22:17:59
2052 forum posts
56 photos
Posted by John Haine on 10/07/2017 17:46:50:

+1 Ohh yess.

Ady111/07/2017 00:22:21
6137 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by Michael-w on 10/07/2017 22:17:59:
Posted by John Haine on 10/07/2017 17:46:50:

+1 Ohh yess.

+2

Nothing else comes close IMO

Hopper11/07/2017 00:24:32
7881 forum posts
397 photos

+1 also on The Amateur's Lathe by LH Sparey.

And also for How to Run a Lathe by the South Bend company. This was the standard textbook when I was an apprentice, aimed at the total beginner.

Both are small books and cheap to buy but invaluable.

larry Phelan11/07/2017 10:46:28
544 forum posts
17 photos

L H Sparey,s book is never too far away in my workshop ! OK, it might be dated,but then,so am I. It might deal mostly with BSW and BSF threads,Metric was not around too much in those days,not where I worked anyway.

If you can get through his book,you will have a very good grounding in lathework. I refer to it all the time,again and again,always learn something new from it. The other book by L C Mason is also very good,I have read it several times and intend to get a copy of it one day.It is full of little gems.

U Tube is also good but since the sound on my laptop is not great,I cannot follow much of it. Any idea,s on how to turn up the sound. Just asking!

Andy Carruthers11/07/2017 11:09:04
317 forum posts
23 photos
Posted by larry Phelan on 11/07/2017 10:46:28:

U Tube is also good but since the sound on my laptop is not great,I cannot follow much of it. Any idea,s on how to turn up the sound. Just asking!

Headphones?

john fletcher 111/07/2017 11:32:15
893 forum posts

The Engineering training board (EITB) brought out a series of excellent booklet which were issue to apprentices on lathe work, milling, grinding etc. Very good pictures and explanations, they might be available via ebay.. John

colin hawes11/07/2017 11:57:45
570 forum posts
18 photos

L.H.Sparey's "The amateur's lathe" got me started and hooked 60 years ago and I still think it is excellent. Colin

Howard Lewis11/07/2017 14:02:50
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Yet another vote for L H Sparey.

"The Amateur's Workshop" by Ian Bradley could well be useful book as well.

Stan Bray was the founding Editor of M E W, and knowing his handiwork, (but not having read his book), I am sure that it will contain a LOT of useful advice and info.

A very good reference book to add to the Library is the Model Engineer's Handbook, by "Tubal Cain"

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate