Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Touch DRO

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy from Workshopshed14/12/2015 20:17:09
50 forum posts
9 photos

A friend on twitter mentioned this project, it joins digital scales with a small box with optional bluetooth and an old android phone or tablet to produce a touch screen DRO.

**LINK**

I hope to join this up to a rotary sensor project some point next year.

Les Jones 114/12/2015 20:22:56
2292 forum posts
159 photos

Hi Andy,
This is how I did it with an Wixey angle gauge.

Les.

Colin Heseltine14/12/2015 20:27:57
744 forum posts
375 photos

Andy,

If you look in my album 'Twizseven's Bits and Bobs' you will see I have used this software (TouchDRO from YuriysToys) for my magnetic scales on a Cowells Mill and Lathe.

Colin

Andy from Workshopshed14/12/2015 21:02:23
50 forum posts
9 photos
I think it's great that others have found use for the project, I think it's excellent
Paul Martin15/08/2020 08:57:53
5 forum posts

I am hoping to set this up, I have been reading about it, but I have no electronics knowledge at all to build the Bluetooth sender unit.

David Jenner06/08/2022 14:20:08
31 forum posts

Does anyone have any recent experiance of the Touch DRO interface (good or bad)?

I am considering going in that direction after the demise of a second "iguaging" style readout module.

The alternative is to start again with a conventional three axis DRO.

David

Harry Wilkes06/08/2022 18:11:25
1613 forum posts
72 photos

David I think this guy link

had some success you may have to look through his play list to find the info

https://www.youtube.com/user/lsidave

H

Martyn Duncumb06/08/2022 21:05:58
55 forum posts
3 photos

For encouragement, I built the Touch DRO circuit on a piece of veroboard about three years ago and it has worked extremely well since. I had to have two attempts on building the electronics as my knowledge is rather basic and I don't suppose the result can be called 'elegant'.

However with three digital readout scales from ArcEurotrade fitted on my SX2P mill I have found it extremely useful and would not like to go back to relying just on the basic readouts as supplied. I bought a cheap(ish) Lenovo tablet £50 for the display. I do not do a massive amount of work but milling now is a joy and far more accurate than I could manage before.

Martyn

Stuart Smith 506/08/2022 21:27:36
349 forum posts
61 photos

David

This a previous thread on the Touch DRO system.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=158471

I have made two, one for my mini lathe using cheap digital calipers and the other for my mill using dro scales from ArcEuro. I built the circuits using info from the internet and other members on here. This is the one for my mill.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_photo.asp?a=50081&p=859167 

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 06/08/2022 21:29:58

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 06/08/2022 21:30:55

Zan06/08/2022 22:26:28
356 forum posts
25 photos

I am a bit confused here. What’s the advantage? I touch my DRO consoles to change any setting by pressing the buttons. Why is touching a screen better? Will greasy fingers or gloved hands still work it?

Then there’s a tablet to ensure it’s charged, and will probably need turning on rather than automatically comming on with the machine

seems to be a lot of effort for not a great return. Please explain

Stuart Smith 506/08/2022 23:49:26
349 forum posts
61 photos

Just a cheap way of obtaining a dro with large display, if you don’t want to spend the money on a ‘proper’ dro.

Stuart

Howi07/08/2022 08:53:06
442 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Zan on 06/08/2022 22:26:28:

I am a bit confused here. What’s the advantage? I touch my DRO consoles to change any setting by pressing the buttons. Why is touching a screen better? Will greasy fingers or gloved hands still work it?

Then there’s a tablet to ensure it’s charged, and will probably need turning on rather than automatically comming on with the machine

seems to be a lot of effort for not a great return. Please explain

it's cheaper, repurposes old items you may have lying around, works with cheap scales and does what it was intended to do.

if you are lucky/rich enough to already have or can afford a commercial setup, lucky you.

Others may not be so fortunate, or prefer to use a diy solution and derive great pleasure from building it themselves.

after all, isn't that what we do?

it's not always about how deep ones pockets are.

Quote "there are non so blind as those that do not want to see"

Steve F07/08/2022 15:42:39
101 forum posts
25 photos

Hello

One big advantage

You can add a 4th scale maybe to the quill. The App then allows you to add this axis value to say the Z and show the combined value.

The unit has a Tacho feature. Handy if your mill doesnt have this like eg mini mill

regards

Steve

Jacques Van Damme09/08/2022 23:27:44
7 forum posts

Hello,

I installed TouchDRO on my Myford ML7 lathe, combined with wire encoders instead of digital scales. It all works quite fine!

Please find the article in MEW No 305, july 2021.

Best regards,

Jacques

Richard Millington10/08/2022 20:44:37
101 forum posts
9 photos

I have a Touch Dro on the Tom Senior E Type I bought, just fitted the Tacho to it, as above you can have Z and Quill axis combined. Mine has the capacitive scales (3.3v), flicker on the last digit of 0.01 mm readings, thous Ok. Can be changed to glass or magnetic scales (5v) which I may do in the future if Vevor get some more in.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate