By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Anyone recognise this power takeoff unit?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
pgk pgk30/08/2015 06:03:58
2661 forum posts
294 photos

I spotted this lump in a derelict cottage I own. Recovery would be hazardous. Anyone know about it?

imag0303(1).jpg

JasonB30/08/2015 07:34:15
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

No but the wirework looks to be J. Sainsbury circa 1983 smile p

pgk pgk30/08/2015 07:45:39
2661 forum posts
294 photos

It's possible... this is the inside of the kitchen (with some of the bedroom and roof)

Gordon W30/08/2015 10:10:01
2011 forum posts

I can't get a clear picture (my computer), but it does remind me of a water pump.

Robin King30/08/2015 10:37:57
137 forum posts
1 photos

What you've got there is the basics of a horizontal milling machine but missing the overarm/knee/table etc. Looking at the condition of it, it might be worth the effort of recovering it - mind, you've got to be keen ; either that or you build a workshop around it to save moving it!

martin perman30/08/2015 11:02:58
2095 forum posts
75 photos

Talking of things sticking out of the ground, a friend of mine used to work for the local waterboard and had to visit a local farm, like me he collected stationary engines and spotted a wolesley water hopper lying on a barn floor so he asked the farmer if he could have it and was told it was a complete engine buried in the dirt floor and if he could be bothered to dig it out he could have it, what the farmer didnt tell him was that the engine was still bolted to a cast base which meant he ended up digging a very large hole to get it all out, took him a day smiley

Martin P

daveb30/08/2015 11:20:53
631 forum posts
14 photos

It looks a lot like an Alfred Herbert No1 Pillarmill. Trumpet shaped base, if you want to dig it out you will need to dig a big hole. May even be worth doing, the other parts may be with it.

Dave

pgk pgk30/08/2015 12:19:23
2661 forum posts
294 photos

I'd be suprised to find a mill there - unless milling grain (or stray ramblers). There was enough hazard getting that pic..doing any digging would mean demolition first.

Access to the building is via a right of access across my property, then a gully stream ford, across someone else's field and then into it's 2 acre plot. It's in a frost pocket with no mains services and it's name translates as 'the pauper's house'. I only bought it just in case someone wanted to develop it (rumour of a shooting lodge). It was cheap.

Rainbows30/08/2015 13:25:08
658 forum posts
236 photos

I see the horizontal mill too. Second pair of rings above the pulley holds the overarm bit and to the left you can see the dovetail for the table. Or perhaps it is a higher end drill press and the head fell off?

Boiler Bri01/09/2015 20:42:14
856 forum posts
212 photos

Looks you all I dug out of the garden today was weeds and an old brass dragon! 🇳🇱👹

Neil Wyatt01/09/2015 21:19:07
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

I can see it being a mill as well. Looks in rescuable condition, has it been under a tarp?..

I went in my dad's loft (first time in 20-25 years) and found a lot of junk from my teenage years - B&W enlarger, orange crates and cardboard boxes full of airfix models and even one box of dinosaurs!

Was hoping to find a motorised Tamiya panther tank with a remote battery and switch box - sadly only bits left I did find a non-motorised Tiger that I never got round to completing and painting..

My old 10W per channel HIFI ampin teh box of an old instrumentation amp chucked out by the school.

Some wacky stuff, even my old microscope (tiny) but for unknown reasons all I brought down was a small (optical) condenser, probaly felt it was all best left as it was.

He did moan about an old Goodman's speaker in a large box that put a hole in the bathroom ceiling last year - nuffin' to do wiv me guv...

pgk pgk01/09/2015 22:17:12
2661 forum posts
294 photos

No tarp and no roof for the last couple of years. Rescue would be dangerous. Access through the stone doorway.. not enough room to manoeuver a tractor outside to tug it out and stay clear of the walls and the ground drops off at the front. it'd have to be seriously prized and justify demolishing the wall behind it - or loft it out with a tracked cherry-picker..

..or take a chance and pull the end wall off and hope the rest don't collapse onto it.

daveb01/09/2015 22:33:08
631 forum posts
14 photos

Pgk pgk, looks like you've talked yourself into it, don't forget to post some photos when you get it out.

Dave

pgk pgk02/09/2015 17:56:58
2661 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by daveb on 01/09/2015 22:33:08:

Pgk pgk, looks like you've talked yourself into it, don't forget to post some photos when you get it out.

Dave

far from it.. seriosuly would be dangerous to try. Local scrappy mate popped round today to take a look.. since he's seen most farm and cottage machinery around here but the Welsh heavens re-opened beyond any desire to plod 1/4 mile in it. If I ever find an answer I'll post.

(at the moment he has an ancient myford wood lathe.. with no tailstock, head plate or tool post but with an interesting planer attachment on the back of the headstock end. I think he said he listed on ebay)

Rainbows02/09/2015 20:13:47
658 forum posts
236 photos

Would be a shame to see it scrapped

pgk pgk02/09/2015 21:16:27
2661 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by Rainbows on 02/09/2015 20:13:47:

Would be a shame to see it scrapped

Sorry, didn't make myself clear - with a view to identifying it , not scrapping it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate