Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Titanic submersible

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan23/06/2023 12:49:45
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 23/06/2023 11:52:57:

[…] One the domes was fitted with an Acrylic Window, which maybe doubled as a hatch […]

With the greatest respect, Dave … Given the dimensions of the Window, I think that ^^^ is highly unlikely.

In the words of Stockton Rush : 

It is seven inches thick and weighs about 80lbs. When we go to the titanic it will squeeze in about three-quarters of an inch and just deforms.

“Acrylic is great because before it cracks or fails it starts to crackle so you get a huge warning if it’s about to fail.”

[ my emboldening ]

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 23/06/2023 12:57:21

Hopper23/06/2023 13:17:52
7881 forum posts
397 photos

I think Dave is right. My understanding, from multiple reports, is there is only one way in and out of the vessel. That is via the forward hatch, which includes the sole window. It is bolted on from the outside after the crew are aboard.

So there were concerns that even if they emergency surfaced, they could bob about in the Atlantic unfound and run out of air because they could not open the hatch from the inside. And if they did, the water would come in and flood the vessel anyway. That is the reason submarines have conning towers sticking up well above the waterline.

It is not a unique idea. IIRC the original space "capsule" in which the Apollo astronauts etc plopped into the ocean after their return to Earth had a similar exit hatch bolted from the outside. But it had exploding heads on the bolts that presumably could be triggered from the inside if need be to allow emergency escape if things went pear shaped.

When you read Tom Wolfe's book "The Right Stuff" (NOT the movie) about the US space program in its early days, it sounds like it was almost as basic as Titan in its own way. To 'win' the space race, the Yanks in effect stuck a Spam can on the nose of a very large ballistic missile, sealed a couple of blokes up in it and fired it into space, with a parachute to bring them back down.

But the pressure differentials on a space craft between the 14.7 psi or so inside and the zero or so outside are chicken feed compared with Titan's operating conditions.

Edited By Hopper on 23/06/2023 13:22:33

JA23/06/2023 13:20:51
1605 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by gerry madden on 23/06/2023 12:04:35:
Posted by Roger Williams 2 on 23/06/2023 09:39:05:

The sub would implode at something like 2200 ft per second and the poor souls would be incinerated and turned to dust in about a millisecond , which is a lot quicker than you can blink your eye !!. The human brain would react to this in something like 150 milliseconds. Jesus..

Roger, an interesting comment. I'm not disputing that the collapse would be very fast indeed, but where does the figure of 2200 ft/sec come from ? I guess there is some simple hydrodynamic theory related to the inward acceleration of the surrounding fluid under a hydrostatic pressure into a void, but can you give me a little more of a lead please ? Thinking about, it I suppose its cavitation theory... ?

Gerry

I wondered where this velocity came from, perhaps the detonation velocity of a low powered high explosive.

Theorising about the gas dynamics of such a compression: It would be adiabatic at the start at least but I doubt if the air would remain a perfect gas for long.

All this is irrelevant, if the pressure difference between the outside and inside of you body is suddenly 6000 psi you are DEAD.

JA

Just read Hopper’s comments about American engineering - Agreed, from my own experience.

Edited By JA on 23/06/2023 13:28:22

Edited By JA on 23/06/2023 13:30:08

Hopper23/06/2023 13:26:07
7881 forum posts
397 photos

The Guardian (see, I don't just read the red tops) quoted Professor Stefano Brizzolara, the co-director of Virginia Tech Center for Marine Autonomy and Robotics  saying the water would enter the imploding vessel at 1,000kmh. No mention of where he got that figure from though. Still bloody fast. I think he said it would be all over in 20 milliseconds. Faster than the message "Darn" could get to the brain.

Edited By Hopper on 23/06/2023 13:34:39

Michael Gilligan23/06/2023 13:33:32
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Hopper on 23/06/2023 13:17:52:

I think Dave is right. My understanding, from multiple reports, is there is only one way in and out of the vessel. That is via the forward hatch, which includes the sole window. It is bolted on from the outside after the crew are aboard.

[…]

In that case, we’re all on the same page, and I simply mis-interpreted Dave’s words:

an Acrylic Window, which maybe doubled as a hatch

Life is full of these little ambiguities

MichaelG.

Hopper23/06/2023 13:38:58
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by JA on 23/06/2023 13:20:51:

Just read Hopper’s comments about American engineering - Agreed, from my own experience.

laugh The Harley-Davidson school of philosophy.

Hopper23/06/2023 13:45:48
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/06/2023 13:33:32:

[…]

In that case, we’re all on the same page, and I simply mis-interpreted Dave’s words:

MichaelG.

Indeed. And the bit my learned friend Michael quoted about said window " will squeeze in about three-quarters of an inch and just deforms" raises another big question mark about repeated fatigue cycles etc.

I don;t know that I would want to trust my life to "Acrylic is great because before it cracks or fails it starts to crackle so you get a huge warning if it’s about to fail.” Huge enough to get back to the surface from 3800 metres? I'd rather not find out.

Seems a rather cavalier attitude in a rather critical environment.

Edited By Hopper on 23/06/2023 14:14:51

Michael Gilligan23/06/2023 14:06:58
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Hopper on 23/06/2023 13:45:48:

[…]

MichaelG.

Indeed. And the bit Dave quoted about said window […]

Could we make that “the bit Michael quoted” please angel

MichaelG.

mike T23/06/2023 14:08:21
221 forum posts
1 photos

[…]

MichaelG.

Indeed. And the bit Dave quoted about said window " will squeeze in about three-quarters of an inch and just deforms" raises another big question mark about repeated fatigue cycles etc.

I don;t know that I would want to trust my life to "Acrylic is great because before it cracks or fails it starts to crackle so you get a huge warning if it’s about to fail.” Huge enough to get back to the surface from 3800 metres? I'd rather not find out.

Seems a rather cavalier attitude in a rather critical environment.

Especially so, when the manufacture of the acrylic viewport would only certify the viewport to a depth of 1,300 metres. Despite the manufactures depth limitation, Oceangate saw fit to use it on Titan operating at a depth of 3,800 metres. The acrylic viewport manufacture offered to redesign the viewport for the full depth rating... at extra cost... but Oceangate declined the offer.

Hopper23/06/2023 14:13:41
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/06/2023 14:06:58:

[…]

MichaelG.

Indeed. And the bit Dave quoted about said window […]

MichaelG.

Yeah we can do that. Sorry, I am/was totally confused. Situation normal. laugh

Edited By Hopper on 23/06/2023 14:21:34

Hopper23/06/2023 14:20:28
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by mike T on 23/06/2023 14:08:21:...

Especially so, when the manufacture of the acrylic viewport would only certify the viewport to a depth of 1,300 metres. Despite the manufactures depth limitation, Oceangate saw fit to use it on Titan operating at a depth of 3,800 metres. The acrylic viewport manufacture offered to redesign the viewport for the full depth rating... at extra cost... but Oceangate declined the offer.

Oww. That is nasty. Well beyond cavalier. I think the enquiry into this accident is going to be some interesting reading.

Re the question raised earlier of who will run the enquiry, latest speculation seems to be the US Coast Guard have been the lead agency so far and will probably continue to do so through the enquiry stage. All a bit uncertain though due to international waters, multiple countries involved, convention that the port the vessel sailed from does the enquiry which in this case would be Canada and so forth.

JA23/06/2023 15:35:45
1605 forum posts
83 photos

Reading the news reports there are a lot of persons saying they had serious doubts about the design of the vessel before it was first used. Some of these may just be being wise after the event but there is a very telling quote from James Cameron who has a working submersible:

"I thought it was a horrible idea. I wish I’d spoken up, but I assumed somebody was smarter than me, you know, because I never experimented with that technology, but it just sounded bad on its face".

I worked in an industry that had been dominated by the blame game, litigation and all the rest. Since the late 1960s under the industrial safety law in the UK one had to report anything you thought unsafe to your manager etc. who did very little. This fertilsed a "turn the blind eye" culture. So much so that the industry introduced a "no blame culture" and lesson learnt logs. Everyone, at all employment levels, was encouraged to report anything he/she thought unsafe from the use of a ladder to the design of a critical engine part. This included failures in service. Such reports were taken very seriously all the way up the company management structure with person making the report being kept in the loop. It worked very well, even James Cameron's comments would have been dealt in such a manner. I guess that all this does not apply to cowboys businesses. Why have cowboys got such a bad name.......

JA

Michael Gilligan23/06/2023 15:45:47
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Hopper on 23/06/2023 14:13:41:

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/06/2023 14:06:58:

MichaelG.

Yeah we can do that. Sorry, I am/was totally confused. Situation normal. laugh

Thanks, Hopper yes

… I see you actually managed to edit the post before the window of opportunity closed

… nicely done.

MichaelG.

Roger Williams 223/06/2023 16:01:39
368 forum posts
7 photos

JA , got the information from a post from another forum , an article by David Corley , a former nuclear powerered submarine officer .

Michael Gilligan23/06/2023 16:01:39
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Rewind to 2018

This is more detail than I have seen before: **LINK**

https://www.compositesworld.com/news/oceangate-ceo-pilots-carbon-fiber-submersible-in-4000-m-solo-dive

… and that’s a lot of filament-wound carbon !!

MichaelG.

Edit: __ and this might be the most unfortunate piece of wishful thinking:

The RTM system is used to assess the health of the hull throughout every dive. The system uses acoustic sensors to detect sounds emitted by the carbon fiber material as it responds to the external pressure and also employs strain gauges to measure the physical deflection. The system makes it possible for Titan pilots to predict a potential failure, stop the descent and safely return to the surface.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 23/06/2023 16:08:01

JA23/06/2023 17:45:58
1605 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by Roger Williams 2 on 23/06/2023 16:01:39:

JA , got the information from a post from another forum , an article by David Corley , a former nuclear powerered submarine officer .

Thanks. I wonder if my chief engineer would have accepted that.

There is experience, I think, on what happens to a nuclear reactor during or after the catastrophic implosion of a submarine hull. How many nuclear submarines did the Soviets lose.

JA

or, perhaps, does not happen, .....

Edited By JA on 23/06/2023 17:47:32

Buffer23/06/2023 18:33:08
430 forum posts
171 photos

There was a bit of a difference in the response between lunatic billionaires going down in a homemade sub and 750 migrants in a Greek fishing boat with a reported 100 kids in the hold. This is the thing that I find most maddening.

larry phelan 123/06/2023 19:10:52
1346 forum posts
15 photos

As long as you can walk to them.

duncan webster23/06/2023 22:44:35
5307 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/06/2023 12:49:45:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 23/06/2023 11:52:57:

[…] One the domes was fitted with an Acrylic Window, which maybe doubled as a hatch […]

With the greatest respect, Dave … Given the dimensions of the Window, I think that ^^^ is highly unlikely.

In the words of Stockton Rush :

It is seven inches thick and weighs about 80lbs. When we go to the titanic it will squeeze in about three-quarters of an inch and just deforms.

“Acrylic is great because before it cracks or fails it starts to crackle so you get a huge warning if it’s about to fail.”

[ my emboldening ]

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 23/06/2023 12:57:21

According to the interweb the density of acrylic is 0.43 lb/in^3, so if it's 7" thick and weighs 80 lbs, a plain disc would be 18.4" diameter. The hole in the titanium end dome would have to be smaller to provide an abutment, so unless they have very slim passengers there must be another way in.

Steviegtr23/06/2023 23:06:17
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Well anything on this earth that is going to take any type of strain requires to be Loyds tested. Whatever it is there is a requirement for it to take 1.5 times & sometimes twice it's expected load. Weight, pressure electric etc. This thing as far as I can see was never tested at all.

Apart from in a swimming pool. There whole assets need stripping & given to the poor souls families.

Steve.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate