Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Lathe Accuracy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Clive Hartland01/02/2015 08:33:05
2929 forum posts
41 photos

As long as the work you produce on the Lathe is OK why worry about the accuracy? If it is clattering and banging then worry, but maintenance is always on going so you work and become aware of slack movement so fix it.

As to measuring the detailed accuracy of the lathe then accept what it does and do not worry about things. As long as it turns parallel in length I will accept it. Make to fit is fine as far as I am concerned unless its replacement parts then work to tolerances. Otherwise leave well alone!

Clive

Michael Gilligan01/02/2015 09:03:13
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Clive Hartland on 01/02/2015 08:33:05:

As to measuring the detailed accuracy of the lathe then accept what it does and do not worry about things. As long as it turns parallel in length I will accept it. Make to fit is fine as far as I am concerned ...

Very fair comment, Clive

For me, it's not really a matter of 'worry' ... just fascination.

For concentricity and roundness, I am aware of nothing that can improve upon working between dead centres [viz: the watchmaker's "turns" used with the bow, or the bodger's pole lathe]; but this arrangement is inconvenient, so we tend to rely upon the accuracy of the machine. ... I find it interesting to know how far the things can be trusted.

MichaelG.

blowlamp01/02/2015 12:15:46
1885 forum posts
111 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 01/02/2015 09:03:13:
Posted by Clive Hartland on 01/02/2015 08:33:05:

As to measuring the detailed accuracy of the lathe then accept what it does and do not worry about things. As long as it turns parallel in length I will accept it. Make to fit is fine as far as I am concerned ...

Very fair comment, Clive

For me, it's not really a matter of 'worry' ... just fascination.

For concentricity and roundness, I am aware of nothing that can improve upon working between dead centres [viz: the watchmaker's "turns" used with the bow, or the bodger's pole lathe]; but this arrangement is inconvenient, so we tend to rely upon the accuracy of the machine. ... I find it interesting to know how far the things can be trusted.

MichaelG.

Even that isn't a guaranteed way of ensuring roundness.

Myford (Nottingham) used to use a process to raise three small areas on some of their (Super7 only, I think) spindle centres to ensure they were perfectly seated whilst being finish ground.

Martin.

Michael Gilligan01/02/2015 12:39:43
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by blowlamp on 01/02/2015 12:15:46:

Even that isn't a guaranteed way of ensuring roundness.

Myford (Nottingham) used to use a process to raise three small areas on some of their (Super7 only, I think) spindle centres to ensure they were perfectly seated whilst being finish ground.

Martin.

Very interesting, Martin

It reminds me of a bearing arrangement that was used in some Clocks, and on some 'Unipivot' pick-up arms.

... A cluster of three [static] balls; with a conical point, bearing upon them.

Obviously, the ultimate accuracy of turning between dead centres will be prescribed by the quality of the fit between the male and female centres. ... Myford's arrangement sounds optimum.

Thanks for the info.

MichaelG.

Andrew Moyes 101/02/2015 13:01:47
158 forum posts
22 photos

Going back to the original post asking for the manufacturing tolerances of the Myford Connoisseur, on the Yahoo Myford lathe group website, in the files section there is

Myford-7-Series_Inspection-Sheet.pdf

I don't know whether the origin of the information was Myford itself or it is just someone's suggestion but the figures are a pretty good benchmark for a lathe of Myford size. When I checked mine, all but a couple were within tolerance. A little fettling brought them all within the figures quoted.

Andrew M

Bob Jepp01/02/2015 13:05:59
42 forum posts

Just to throw in my three penneth - during my apprenticeship at Colchester, I spent many hours ( happy ? ) scraping in large Colchester lathes.

The specification for the alignments of the machine were very precise for a relatively low cost industrial machine.

From memory ( 30 years ago ! ), the headstock alignments were specified by clocking a nose bar over the top for horizontal and on the front for skew ( headstock should point up towards the tailstock to allow for the weight of the chuck etc. ). There were many other checks carried out on the spindle to ensure concentricity etc.

The saddle was scraped to turn concave by a few tenths of a thou' and the cross-slide movement checked for straightness on a 'T' bar in the spindle socket.

The tailstock was scraped to get the barrel horizontal and straight with a check made with a precision bar between centres to ensure the tailstock and headstock were level with each other.

After the machines were completed ( before painting ), a turning test was done, skimming the OD of the test piece. This piece was then checked for roundness using a Taylor Hobson Talyrond - maximum allowable out of round was one tenth of a thou'. A circular graph was produced ( rather like a truck tachometer disc ) and was included with the machine accuracy chart.

So, final comments, I started a thread early last year about the quality and accuracy of the Axminster Sieg C0 - the one I bought was unbelievably poor. Axminster were very good and I got my money back without any arguing. I phones Cowells and talked to Colin Childs - we discussed their accuracy policy ( just what the doctor ordered ) and, suffice to say, I am now the proud owner of a sparkling 90ME ( has 'some' swarf on it now ) - fantastic machine !

Michael Gilligan01/02/2015 14:14:29
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Andrew Moyes 1 on 01/02/2015 13:01:47:

Myford-7-Series_Inspection-Sheet.pdf

Thanks for the link, Andrew

I will hang a copy on the wall, to remind me not to blame the tool.

MichaelG.

The Merry Miller01/02/2015 16:32:37
484 forum posts
97 photos

I am having trouble accessing the Myford 7 PDF

Message is " error in downloading the file "

Have tried on Firefox and IE, no joy.

Any clues as to why please?

Len. P.

Andrew Moyes 101/02/2015 16:43:10
158 forum posts
22 photos

Sorry Len, I can't help you with that but if you join the group here

**LINK**

you'll have access to that and much more.

Andrew M

The Merry Miller01/02/2015 16:48:45
484 forum posts
97 photos

I've just spotted, Andrew, that I can only access it through Yahoo groups as you say.

I don't do Yahoo groups, thanks anyway.

Len. P.

Michael Gilligan01/02/2015 17:01:01
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by The Merry Miller on 01/02/2015 16:32:37:

I am having trouble accessing the Myford 7 PDF

Message is " error in downloading the file "

How very infuriating !!

I clicked that link this morning, on my iPod Touch, and it opened the document.

... But, of course, I didn't save the file.

Now ... I get that same error message, on iPod Touch and on iPad. crying 2

I will try some other machines.

MichaelG.

Neil Lickfold02/02/2015 05:29:31
1025 forum posts
204 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 31/01/2015 09:26:30:

Neil,

I really can't accept that claim. I have a good quality DTI that reads to 0.0005" which is 0.01mm within a spit.

If I turn two concentric diameters on my mini lathe to a good finish, I am unable to see any deflection whatsoever in the DTI on the undisturbed surfaces.

Comparing the very small taig/peatol to a Myford which weighs about fifteen times as much is hardly fair.

I am sure that most 'hobby' lathes are well capable of meeting 0.01mm roundness (which is Schelsinger's limit for finish turning lathes).

Neil

From my experience , when you turn a piece in a chuck, part it off, place it into a Vee block and rotate , then you will see the error. Something turned between centres, especially dead centres, should be round on almost any set up. I have a modified Taig type lathe, and when I turn something in it, measures ok with a mic and looks ok with a dti. Then rechuck the part and get it round, just won't happen. I have a 0.001mm dti that use for checking in a Vee block. It is a lobed shape, not triangular and not very round.The Taig has since been corrected with better accuracy angular contact bearings, but even with those is still no better than 0.003mm, but is a lot better than the original 0.01 to 0.013mm it used to be. A better grade of bearing is available, but am not prepared to pay for them .

Neil L

Michael Gilligan02/02/2015 07:49:57
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Bob Jepp on 01/02/2015 13:05:59:.

So, final comments, I started a thread early last year about the quality and accuracy of the Axminster Sieg C0 - the one I bought was unbelievably poor. Axminster were very good and I got my money back without any arguing. I phones Cowells and talked to Colin Childs - we discussed their accuracy policy ( just what the doctor ordered ) and, suffice to say, I am now the proud owner of a sparkling 90ME ( has 'some' swarf on it now ) - fantastic machine !

Bob,

It's good to see that Cowells met your well-informed requirements.

They seem to have developed what was originally quite a modest machine into a little gem.

I posted this link on another thread today; but I think it worth repeating here

... He has some good pages about his Cowells 90CW.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 02/02/2015 07:51:04

Neil Wyatt02/02/2015 09:29:33
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Or try this: Schlesinger

Neil

blowlamp02/02/2015 09:33:29
1885 forum posts
111 photos
Posted by Neil Lickfold on 02/02/2015 05:29:31:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 31/01/2015 09:26:30:

Neil,

I really can't accept that claim. I have a good quality DTI that reads to 0.0005" which is 0.01mm within a spit.

If I turn two concentric diameters on my mini lathe to a good finish, I am unable to see any deflection whatsoever in the DTI on the undisturbed surfaces.

Comparing the very small taig/peatol to a Myford which weighs about fifteen times as much is hardly fair.

I am sure that most 'hobby' lathes are well capable of meeting 0.01mm roundness (which is Schelsinger's limit for finish turning lathes).

Neil

From my experience , when you turn a piece in a chuck, part it off, place it into a Vee block and rotate , then you will see the error. Something turned between centres, especially dead centres, should be round on almost any set up. I have a modified Taig type lathe, and when I turn something in it, measures ok with a mic and looks ok with a dti. Then rechuck the part and get it round, just won't happen. I have a 0.001mm dti that use for checking in a Vee block. It is a lobed shape, not triangular and not very round.The Taig has since been corrected with better accuracy angular contact bearings, but even with those is still no better than 0.003mm, but is a lot better than the original 0.01 to 0.013mm it used to be. A better grade of bearing is available, but am not prepared to pay for them .

Neil L

You might well find the lobed shape is caused by the 3 jaw chuck you're using, either by clamping pressure from the jaws or uneven wear upon the gripping surfaces, which allows the job to move fractionally. A collet should be used if you want to isolate (as much as possible) the error in the spindle bearings.

Martin.

Michael Gilligan02/02/2015 09:34:35
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 02/02/2015 09:29:33:

Or try this: Schlesinger

Neil

Sorry Neil, I don't understand the "Or try this" remark.

MichaelG.

Emgee02/02/2015 10:00:03
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Hi Blowlamp

I think Neil L is referring to the shape of the indicator tip not a turned part, some similar tips can be seen in the Verdict indicator lists, you could say it is 'tear drop' shape.

Emgee

Neil Lickfold02/02/2015 10:05:48
1025 forum posts
204 photos

You might well find the lobed shape is caused by the 3 jaw chuck you're using, either by clamping pressure from the jaws or uneven wear upon the gripping surfaces, which allows the job to move fractionally. A collet should be used if you want to isolate (as much as possible) the error in the spindle bearings.

Martin.

When I make test pieces, I ruf down the od, then almost part it off, then I finish turn the diameter, and finally part off. That way the stresses in the bar are at the minimum. Some materials are not well suited to make test pieces out of due to the stress in the material stock itself. When looking for small errors it is not quite as easy as it may seem. Anyone who has worked in a metrology lab will know what I am talking about.

Neil L.

JasonB02/02/2015 10:12:59
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Does the fact its almost parted off not reduce rigidity of the part which could affect the finished shape?

Clive Hartland02/02/2015 14:13:22
2929 forum posts
41 photos

Even if the work is held in a chuck or collet and then supported by a tailstock center there could be a bias due to misalignment of the tailstock ! Is it also said that a ground bar in the same situation as a turned bar is not round. In fact some of the measurements quoted are outside what I would call normal measuring. 0.01 mm is about the limit for our use and well within the tolerances offered by most work. I would not think 0.001 mm due to surface finish and the stated out of round condition is possible and in any case a lot of work carried out is only done to satisfy a personal desire to make something that works. Buy any piece of kit and it can be improved for convenience of use (DRO's perhaps) but to increase accuracy is an expensive task compounded by the cost factor. Linear ball shafts are beyond the need of the amatuer unless he is seeking what i stated before. Work to your best ability, ensure the tooling is new or sharp. Ensure the metal is right for the part being made and follow machining and work holding protocols. Even when a part is made, further work like honing and polishing change the surface and measurement which has to be taken into account, make to fit is all that is required for us but production work means you have tolerances to work to which is totally different.

Clive

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate