By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ed Duffner

Here is a list of all the postings Ed Duffner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
30/05/2020 19:52:33

Removed a Sycamore tree stump from the garden. Multiple trunks between Ø2.0" and 4". The main root was about 7" to 8".

Started making a brcket to add a magnetic Z-axis scale on the the quill on my milling machine.

Currenlty watching Live(I think) the Spacex launch.

Ed.

Thread: Wanted Pre loved Warco WM 180
29/05/2020 17:06:01

Might be worth an enquiry to Warco. They sometimes have used machines for sale.

Ed.

Thread: Macro-photography
25/05/2020 20:15:35

An experiment in making model split big-end bearings for a twin marine engine and a couple of insects from the garden. More insects in the album. The bearings are Ø5.0mm ID.

Ed.

20200513_110931.jpg

hf1.jpg

dsc_0165.jpg

25/05/2020 19:30:06

Hi Rod, might be a "Harpalus Affinis" when compared to the bugs in my Collins British insect book.

Ed.

Thread: Removing nylon plug from carbon fibre tube
22/05/2020 17:08:20

I would use a hole saw to core out the plug, then gently cut out the remaining ring with a pad-saw. Is it possible the plug could be pinned, preventing its removal?

Ed.

Edit: Just noticed I suggested the same as a previous poster (overlapped posting).

Edited By Ed Duffner on 22/05/2020 17:28:40

Thread: Which Digital Compact Camera?
21/05/2020 16:36:00

Hi Steve, I don't know what you're looking to spend but how about the Fuji X100V? or something very small, the Nikon A1000?

Ed.

Thread: Reading Digital MEW
11/05/2020 21:02:47

In firefox, F11 to go fullscreen and if the magazine doesn't auto resize use F5 to reload the page. Hit F11 again to come out of full screen.

Ed.

Thread: Fusion 360 help
07/05/2020 20:25:01

Hi Jason, Richard,

Yeah I just noticed Richard is using the Surface workspace tab. For solids, use the Solid workspace tab.

Ed.

Edited By Ed Duffner on 07/05/2020 20:43:04

07/05/2020 20:11:21

Hi Richard,

You can only fillet an internal corner if the two converging faces are on the same body. If the hinge is a seperate body than what it is attched to you'll only be able to fillet the edges of the hinge's body, this is why the arrow is pointing the wrong way.

To fillet an internal corner you need to join the hinge and the other part, you could use Modify/Combine. Or when you extrude the sketch of the hinge profile, make sure the Operation is set to "Join" in the extrude dialogue box instead of New Body.

Ed.

Thread: Making a 6.0mm x 19.0mm Keyway Broach Guide?
06/05/2020 18:46:51

That's all making sense, thanks again chaps.

I did find that using the term "key seat" in google gave much more info than just advertising and sales pages. One reference also includes standards for width tolerance. Link

Ed.

06/05/2020 15:32:54

Wow, that was quick. Thank you very much indeed guys.

Regards,
Ed.

06/05/2020 15:08:28

Hello guys,

I would like to make a keyway broach guide/bushing Ø19.00mm (for a 6.00mm broach). I'm a bit stuck on working out the depth I need to cut the groove into the bushing and the reference I can use to start the cut.

My understanding is that 3.0mm of the key should engage into both the shaft and the mating part, a coupling in my case. Is the 3.0mm taken from the tangent plane of the shaft or from slightly lower where the 6.0mm key width would intersect the shaft diameter.

The highest tooth on the broach is 16.66mm and the supplied shim is 1.46mm thick, so in total 18.12mm. The broach is 9.64mm wide along its spine.

If I measure the back to back distance from one side of the motor shaft to the opposite outside face of the key I get 22.00mm.

Can I just touch off the cutter on the 19.00mm diameter of the bush and mill to a depth of 18.12mm or should it be a little deeper? What is or is there a correct way to do this?

Is this the kind of info that would be in a Zeus Guide or Engineer's handbook?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the narrow end of the broach is 14.65mm and the height of the first tooth is 15.00mm

Thanks,
Ed.

Edited By Ed Duffner on 06/05/2020 15:22:00

Thread: Solid edge.
04/05/2020 11:03:56

Can the models in Solid Edge be exported as STEP files? If so, I believe they could then be imported into Fusion 360 to use its CAM module.

Ed.

Thread: 3D Printed Newtonian Telescope
03/05/2020 00:17:14

Looks very professional Neil, well done indeed. Will you need to darken the inside of the OTA?

Ed.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
02/05/2020 00:55:26

- Swapped out my fluorescent lights for the LED sort in the shed. It's very bright but not too harsh on the eyes.

- 3D printed some resin parts for my brother. He's scratch building a V&W Class Destroyer in 1/96 scale, HMS Vega. Have spent hours in fusion 360 on this.

- Completed the installation of a DRO to the mill, finally!.

- Machined a custom oldham coupling to enable fitting a 3phase motor to the mill, but the idea was canned because I wouldn't have been able to remove the draw-bar blush . Then machined a stub shaft (photo below) so the motor can sit in its original place and use the machine's helical drive gear. The motor mount plate willl be next.

- I'm also part way through motorising my rotary table.

Ed.

stubshaft.jpg

Thread: 4-jaw chuck jaws....
30/04/2020 10:41:31

How about a collet chuck? ...or turn between centers with a drive dog?

Ed.

Thread: Lawn weed and feed. How much is 35g?
22/04/2020 10:16:31

I use Evergreen and generally take an aerosol cap, fill it about half way and sprinkle that over a 1msq area. Use a larger bowl to pour the stuff into first. It's easier to scoop into as you go.

Ed. I need to get some, the weeds are sprouting fast this year!

Thread: SPACE HEATERS
18/04/2020 21:55:18

Log burning stove/fire? ...with a flue.

Ed.

Thread: Motor or controller issues older SX3 mill
18/04/2020 13:25:27

I've had pretty much the same issues with my Warco WM-16 for a long time. The brushes in these motors are incredibly soft when compared to other DC motor brushes, like those used in power tools.

I reshaped my brushes by very carefully running the contact face along the curved edge of a half round file, similar to the radius of the commutator. It does work but the bushes soon wear down again. I also think the controller is prone to poor speed regulation, adding to the frustration.

The experience I've had with DC motors in power tools is that, if the commutator starts to flash then the armature is on its way out, however I'd never claim to be a motor expert.

I had considered sourcing brushes with a harder compound, but I've now gone ahead and bought a new 3-phase motor and inverter, hopefully to be installed soon.

Ed.

Thread: Percival Marshall Speaks - Model Engineering Video
14/04/2020 11:13:40

Thank you Neil.

At 4.19 the video shows a tool and cutter grinder. Is this of a particular design perhaps? or a self designed/made tool?

Ed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate