By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Motor or controller issues older SX3 mill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jim Mason18/04/2020 00:03:59
8 forum posts

I have a SX3 mill that is getting on a bit now, it is on its second dc brushed motor that gets through brushes quite quickly. It sparks a lot intermittently (around the brushes I think) and quite often will not start until it is run backwards a rev or two, After which it will start forwards. It will occasionally just stop. It will restart again at low speed but doesn't like higher speeds any more.

I can get a motor from China (I think I bought the last one in the Uk 4-5 years ago) but it isn't cheap, is this likely to be the motor or could the controller be causing the issues? I can't get a controller and I'd rather not spend many beer tokens on a motor if the controller could be the issue.

Any advice gratefully received.

Andrew Johnston18/04/2020 09:59:07
7061 forum posts
719 photos

Try cleaning the commutator with some fine abrasive on the copper and use a fine hook to clean out muck from between the commutator segments. Worked for me on the Bridgeport power feed DC motor.

Andrew

Jim Mason18/04/2020 11:26:31
8 forum posts

Thanks Andrew, I've sort of tried that by using a fibreglass scratch brush as I can't access the commutator very easily. It might have made it better for a few days but that also might have been wishful thinking. I'll have a look this morning and see if I can take it apart and have a better go.

Bazyle18/04/2020 12:59:31
6956 forum posts
229 photos

the sparking will be eroding the brushes quicker and making the commutator dirty leading to more sparking. Make sure the brushes move freely in their holders and the springs are not snagged on the holder so they don't push firmly.

Jim Mason18/04/2020 13:23:32
8 forum posts

I have taken the motor apart this morning and cleaned the commutator. The live crimp connector to the brush holder was corroded and not particularly tight so that has had a seeing to as well. At some point in the past the brushes have worn or burnt away completely which has resulted in some damage to the commutator. Some of the fingers have almost fused over the gaps from heat damage so I've made sure none are touching their neighbours. On putting it back together it is running significantly better, no hunting, starts first time and no sparking!

Thank you both for your advice.

Ed Duffner18/04/2020 13:25:27
863 forum posts
104 photos

I've had pretty much the same issues with my Warco WM-16 for a long time. The brushes in these motors are incredibly soft when compared to other DC motor brushes, like those used in power tools.

I reshaped my brushes by very carefully running the contact face along the curved edge of a half round file, similar to the radius of the commutator. It does work but the bushes soon wear down again. I also think the controller is prone to poor speed regulation, adding to the frustration.

The experience I've had with DC motors in power tools is that, if the commutator starts to flash then the armature is on its way out, however I'd never claim to be a motor expert.

I had considered sourcing brushes with a harder compound, but I've now gone ahead and bought a new 3-phase motor and inverter, hopefully to be installed soon.

Ed.

not done it yet18/04/2020 16:16:28
7517 forum posts
20 photos

If the commutator is no longer round, the problem may not be solved completely at higher speeds. If the brushes are not in contact with the commutator all the time, arcing may occur, brush wear will increase, etc, etc. Cutting the commutator back to round, and under-cutting the insulation between segments, is the cure. Likely only possible once or twice on cheap modern motors.🙂

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate