By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Johnston

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Johnston has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Indexable tooling confusion
25/09/2023 20:29:14

The normal CCMT inserts work fine on brass. For aluminium use CCGT inserts. They are polished and have a large positive rake. With aluminium watch out for the swarf bird nesting.

Andrew

Thread: DROs etc
20/09/2023 15:14:46

I have a professional 2-axis DRO on my vertical mill and nothing on the lathe.That suits me fine. The DRO on the mill is the single most useful accessory I have bought, but I simply don't see the need for one on the lathe. I am pretty sure the DRO scales on the lathe would interfere with operation, and clash with other accessories, whereas on the mill they are clear of any interference with operation.

Andrew

Thread: Milling Advice
20/09/2023 11:37:52
Posted by JasonB on 20/09/2023 11:19:58:

Andrew must be buying his cutters from an upmarket supplier...

My standard cutters are the YG K2 range from Cutwel, they last very well despite being driven hard.

Andrew

20/09/2023 11:07:09
Posted by Andrew Skinner on 20/09/2023 10:34:06:

...I read somewhere that you can stone the sharp corners of the endmill to improve the finish, obviously keeping that one just for facing cuts. Is this advisable?

It's an old school trick that should work, although I haven't tried it. The modern equivalent is a cutter with a radius (less than 1mm) ground on the corners. These cutters are expensive, circa £45 for a 10mm diameter one. I reserve them for final cuts when I need a good finish and a flat surface. I used one to finish the valve chest faces on my traction engine cylinders. This shows the sort of finish that can be achieved:

mirror finish.jpg

The part is a heat spreader, in copper, for an experimental high power inverter using silicon carbide power devices.

Andrew

Thread: Tap compatability
19/09/2023 21:24:50

Drill Service have a 10-32UNF bottoming tap for £4.60p, plus VAT of course.

Andrew

Thread: Warco Major milling machine
18/09/2023 11:31:23
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 18/09/2023 11:21:14:
...Bridgeports are considered flimsy by big mill standards..

Correct! My Bridgeport is flexible in two senses. It is versatile, but also not very rigid. It performs better with smaller cutters running reasonably fast, unlike the horizontal mill but that weighs 3500lb.

Andrew

Thread: Capacitor selection
10/09/2023 17:55:26
Posted by colin hamilton on 10/09/2023 17:19:24:
...What makes you think it could be 400V?

The plate refers to an RMS voltage, the capacitor needs to be rated to withstand a peak voltage.

Andrew

Thread: Acetylene bottles in the home workshop
06/09/2023 11:13:41

Current BGA guidance is to use oxygen above 10000ft, although I have been to 14000ft without. My oxygen system is constant flow, 2 or 4 litres a minute, whether you need it or not. The cylinder capacity is 630 litres and 137 bar when full. The highest I've been in a thermal was 16000ft, in the Alps. When I went to put the mask on the rubber economiser bag failed, so I ended up sticking the low pressure pipe from the regulator in my mouth. The highest I've been in wave is 23000ft, over Cheviot in Northumberland.

Andrew

05/09/2023 20:53:11
Posted by Philip Burman 1 on 05/09/2023 17:15:34:

...by somebody who possibly doesn't know what they are talking about.

It's definite that they don't know what they are talking about!

I have oxy-acetylene, argon and propane cylinders at home. The first three are in the workshop and the propane cylinder lives outside. All welding, silver soldering and gas heating is done outside. If i have the oxygen cylinder from my glider at home it lives in the house along with the parachute.

As a private individual one is entitled to transport a small acetylene cylinder in ones personal transport provided ventilation is provided, in other words open the window.

Andrew

Thread: Machinery Handbook
30/08/2023 11:45:45

I've got three, two from the 1940s and one from the 1990s. They are my go to source for engineering information. The older ones in particular have good information on imperial threads and old metric thread standards.

Andrew

Thread: 12 or 16mm tools
27/08/2023 12:46:51

I use a mix of 12mm and 16mm holders. With the 12mm holder I can take cuts that will stall my 3hp gearhead lathe running from a 3-phase supply. The choice of holder is down to availability. Holders for some of the less common inserts are only available from 16mm upwards.

Andrew

Thread: Forum Platform Changes - PLEASE READ
25/08/2023 10:34:09

Posted by JasonB on 24/08/2023 13:10:33:

What it will mean is that you can't say look at my ****** album to someone asking for images of how to cut a gear. Unless you upload the same images again into a new "gallery" as it will be know. .

Also if you want to post say that image of your big mill and rotary table cutting gears it will need to be taken direct from your PC and dropped into that new post....

Thanks for the explanation. I have the originals of most of my photos, so I'm not worried about my albums disappearing. I doubt I'll bother creating galleries, time is precious and there are many other things to do.

Andrew

Thread: Is there an error in the Bridgeport Mill manual or am I being stupid?
24/08/2023 17:57:37

Only two methods, the switch only changes the motor direction. That is because the backgear is only two gears and therefore reverses the spindle direction for a given motor direction.

Andrew

Thread: Forum Platform Changes - PLEASE READ
24/08/2023 11:33:15

So does that mean that my albums will disappear and I will need to upload all the photos again?

Andrew

Thread: Centec milling machine NT30 chuck.
23/08/2023 20:42:38
Posted by Michael Callaghan on 23/08/2023 17:57:30:
...it would just make the job a lot easier using the vertical head.

In my experience a slitting saw on an arbor unsupported at the outer end will go walkies if the depth of cut in more than a few millimetres. On the other hand using a horizontal arbor, supported at the outer end, one can go as deep as the saw will allow with no tendency to wander.

Andrew

Thread: Unusual Thread Type?
21/08/2023 20:57:33

Thread depth for a 40tpi Whitworth thread form is 16 thou. So core diameter is 0.2" minus 32 thou, equals 0168". Say we want 75% thread depth so add 8 thou to the core diameter to get 0.176". Call it a number 16 drill or 4.5mm. In brass I'd probably drop down to 4.4mm. Not a lot of thread to play with!

Andrew

21/08/2023 18:39:46

I have an inkling that the WF stands for Whitworth Form.

Andrew

Thread: Spin on filter cooler conversion build.
20/08/2023 11:21:43
Posted by Tony sacc on 19/08/2023 23:20:30:

Well, no interest here in classic bikes...

No interest personally, but there are quite a few people on here who are. You might find it worthwhile to reflect upon why those people haven't replied to your posts.

Andrew

Thread: Diacator made by Dietest
20/08/2023 11:17:32
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 20/08/2023 10:24:19:

Presumably a combination of ‘country of origin’ and claimed accuracy

’though I note that the certificate is unsigned !

4-46.jpeg

I have a Haimer Centro:

centro_using.jpg

Claimed accuracy is 2 microns not that I have any way of confirming that. The only problem is that (as Bernard says) it does need a fair amount of headroom.

Andrew

Thread: When boredom overtakes, make something, anything!
19/08/2023 13:39:33
Posted by Tony sacc on 18/08/2023 23:58:04:

Blah, blah, blah.

Now I see why the OP wrote in his profile that he'd never taken a class in anything.

Bored now, so going to carry on making parts on the repetition lathe.

Andrew

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate